Week 4: Argyle(3-0) @ La Vega(2-1)

regaleagle

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

If La Vega can challenge them, I think Austin LBJ can also ……. 28 - 7 last week. 

That’s what I’m saying. Don’t think it will be anybody. But LV and Argyle has kind of grown into a rivalry as many times as they have played over the years, so I would expect Argyle to get LV’s best shot. If Argyle was to play LBJ doubt it would be close. Argyle is way too disciplined with plus athletes for a team like LBJ to hang with them IMO.

• Like 1

Yeah, La Vega really struggled with LBJ's speed and athleticism, and that just doesn't bode well for the Pirates in this matchup. Argyle has a ton of speed, a ton of discipline and a ton of size, especially in the trenches. I don't want to sound ridiculous, but I think our assessments of a 21-to-28-point spread might be conservative. I wouldn't be shocked if this thing ends up with a score of 42-7 or 49-7, somewhere around there.

And for what it's worth, I could see La Vega easily coming in third place in their district, finishing behind Stephenville and Midlothian Heritage.

14 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Yeah, La Vega really struggled with LBJ's speed and athleticism, and that just doesn't bode well for the Pirates in this matchup. Argyle has a ton of speed, a ton of discipline and a ton of size, especially in the trenches. I don't want to sound ridiculous, but I think our assessments of a 21-to-28-point spread might be conservative. I wouldn't be shocked if this thing ends up with a score of 42-7 or 49-7, somewhere around there.

And for what it's worth, I could see La Vega easily coming in third place in their district, finishing behind Stephenville and Midlothian Heritage.

I watched the Argyle/Celina game video again last night.  I agree about the speed, size, and lines......and the D is just very very impressive.  But the offense.......it ain't there yet.  Against a good defense like Celina has, or another team might have......Argyle will need to continue to work on improving that side of the ball if they want to become dominant.  A low-scoring game will put the heavily-favored Argyle in a precarious position if their offense does not improve substantially going forward.  The good news is that it is still early in the season, and most probably the Argyle coaches with help to get the Eagles' offensive machine cranking like it should.  In fact......it's about that time now this week.  Or at least by the time district play arrives......which is in 2 weeks against Melissa.  Next week is Argyle's Bye Week......so this week we need to see some substantial improvement on the offensive side of the ball.  Melissa has a very good offense and has no problem putting up the points.  Thank goodness for Argyle's excellent and very dominant defense, Huh?

9 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I watched the Argyle/Celina game video again last night.  I agree about the speed, size, and lines......and the D is just very very impressive.  But the offense.......it ain't there yet.  Against a good defense like Celina has, or another team might have......Argyle will need to continue to work on improving that side of the ball if they want to become dominant.  A low-scoring game will put the heavily-favored Argyle in a precarious position if their offense does not improve substantially going forward.  The good news is that it is still early in the season, and most probably the Argyle coaches with help to get the Eagles' offensive machine cranking like it should.  In fact......it's about that time now this week.  Or at least by the time district play arrives......which is in 2 weeks against Melissa.  

I don't disagree with you about the offense, but I think Argyle may be just a touch spoiled with just how explosive their offenses have typically been. This group I think lacks those electric play makers that those scoreboard-wrecking teams had, however, there are still some studs on the offensive side of the balI, both in the trenches and at the skill positions.

And I will say, Argyle may not play another defense as good as Celina's this season. If you look at their schedule as it is right now, even projecting potential playoff games, there's nobody there whose defense is at the level of the Bobcats, at least not that I've seen so far. I know the Eagles put up 23 points against the Bobcats, but I feel comfortable in saying that will be the lowest scoring output of the season for Argyle. AND, of those 23 points, 6 came on the pick-6, one score came on a busted coverage by a sophomore DB immediately following a turnover, the first FG came after the Bobcats gifted the Eagles a half-dozen extra plays on their opening drive, and one score came on a legitimate drive. All that to say: Celina's defense is very, very good, and I think it's the best Argyle will face all season long, even in the postseason.

• Like 1

I guess there will be no Livestream of this game since it will be an away game for Argyle in Belmead.  Guess I'll google up Sportsgram and LISTEN LIVE to the Argyle Broadcast Network as Kenny Arthur and Mick Cullen call the play by play.  Pre-game this week starts at 6:30 and Kickoff @ 7 pm.  Willie Williams Stadium.

In my unqualified opinion I think there are a few teams that are so talented that it would be hard to imagine that anyone in their classification could beat them. Some will certainly face defeat and if they are defeated, it would have to be because of circumstances beyond their control. Argyle is one of those teams in my opinion.  Those teams that are nearly unbeatable are Rockwall, Southlake Carroll, Austin Westlake, Lovejoy, Aledo and even though they have lost one, these may win the rest of theirs, such as Denton Ryan, Rockwall Heath and Aubrey.  Going to be some very talented teams winning the State Championships this year and those games are ones that would be worth the tickets at Jerry World....if they actually get to play there, which they should. 

• Like 1

After watching that back and forth exciting game between LBJ and Liberty Hill last night.......the La Vega loss to LBJ 28-7 last week doesn't look so bad.  LBJ is most certainly a contender and has everything a coaching staff is looking for in a championship team, for sure.  They have the lines, the good QB, the speed, quality receivers with the good hands and athletic ability,  and a very stout defense.  I gotta give em 4 stars for the win last night......they went out and earned it on the field.  Liberty Hill's team this season looked pretty darn good all around.......they only lost by 7 and both teams played stellar.  Basically Liberty Hill lost because they were behind when the clock ran out......it was that kind of game.

Well it's Friday and bigtime gameday again for Argyle with its schedule.......this happens every week for Argyle, it seems.  The ONLY milquetoast game on the Eagles schedule this year in the regular season will be Carrollton Ranchview........all others are winning football teams each week.  I'm very interested to see how the Eagles offense performs tonight against a very formidable LV defensive team that also has speed everywhere.  I'm certain.......I mean I'm pretty dang certain that Coach Hyde and his staff will have his boys ready for this game with Argyle tonight.  I don't care about what other people say, or the rankings.......it's a Texas high school football game between two very good teams and it's in La Vega's home stadium.  This game has become the barometer game in early season for both teams......kinda like Abilene Wylie used to be for Argyle.  You play Celina in the rivalry game, then you turn around and hafta play La Vega the next week in a similar type game that is really totally different.......it ain't easy, folks.  Good luck to both teams tonight and we  hope and pray all players in this game come away healthy.  GO EAGLES!!!

Let me put it another way.......there are more negative things that can happen to a team in a football game that can lead to a loss than positive things that can lead to a win.  That means when you are playing a very capable team with quality players and a quality coaching staff......especially in THEIR stadium......things can happen and go south for your team very easily.  

Now the good part for Argyle.......the depth at every position for the Eagles this season.  This even counts the QB position, which everybody knows is the most difficult position to fill.  The defense will be counted on again tonight to set the tone for the Eagles offense.  By the middle of the 3rd quarter we should know which way this game is headed.  IF it's still close.......then anything can happen and either team could win it, IMHO.  Of course LV has the ability with their speedy backs to score on any play if they can break free of the LOS and get past the LB's. I really like the speed in the secondary this season for the Eagles......they are very impressive!  Just wish we could have a Livestream of this game tonight.  I'll be here later keeping up with a play-by-play update as much as possible.  I'll also be watching the Livestream of Midlothian Heritage @ Melissa at the same time.  For anybody interested, that will be on Melissa's Livestream.

BTW>>>>>Next week will be Argyle's Bye Week, so I think you can expect to see Coach Rodgers and his staff give the offense a little more free-reign tonight in the passing game.  I'm pretty sure Argyle will try to run the ball first to set up the passing game, but they are so balanced you really never know for sure.  I'd like to see Knox Scoggins get more minutes tonight, but that probably won't happen because LV has some big boys on the D-line that could possibly put him in harms way too easily with so many important games left this season.  Better to err on the side of caution and just give him some limited action again this week.......then he has two more weeks to work out before the Melissa game starts Argyle's district play and a looong run in the playoffs.

It's not too early to think about the Gameday meal tonight if you are in front of your computer at the house and not attending a game.  I'm considering burgers on the grill tonight......it's a nice day and I really don't eat burgers much anymore unless they are really good fresh ones off the grill somewhere.  The other option is grilled beef chili dogs or pizza......but I'ma thinkin' I'll just get on that grill and do some super nice ground sirloin 85% burgers with all the trimmings and some home made avocado dip.  I've had good success with using the 85% ground sirloin on the grill.......it comes out juicy and very tasty.  I like that ground brisket stuff too.....if you can find it.  

6 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

It's not too early to think about the Gameday meal tonight if you are in front of your computer at the house and not attending a game.  I'm considering burgers on the grill tonight......it's a nice day and I really don't eat burgers much anymore unless they are really good fresh ones off the grill somewhere.  The other option is grilled beef chili dogs or pizza......but I'ma thinkin' I'll just get on that grill and do some super nice ground sirloin 85% burgers with all the trimmings and some home made avocado dip.  I've had good success with using the 85% ground sirloin on the grill.......it comes out juicy and very tasty.  I like that ground brisket stuff too.....if you can find it.  

The best way to do this and not miss any action is to get the meal ready and down about 5-6 pm for sure.  If you hafta go lite on the lunch, the so be it. Or just skip lunch altogether if you can.......have a couple of brewskis to tie you over.  Hey......I think that's exactly what I'll do today......skip luncholio and have a few brewskis while grilling and prepping the gametime fare.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:28 PM, d0tc0m said:

I don't disagree with you about the offense, but I think Argyle may be just a touch spoiled with just how explosive their offenses have typically been. This group I think lacks those electric play makers that those scoreboard-wrecking teams had, however, there are still some studs on the offensive side of the balI, both in the trenches and at the skill positions.

And I will say, Argyle may not play another defense as good as Celina's this season. If you look at their schedule as it is right now, even projecting potential playoff games, there's nobody there whose defense is at the level of the Bobcats, at least not that I've seen so far. I know the Eagles put up 23 points against the Bobcats, but I feel comfortable in saying that will be the lowest scoring output of the season for Argyle. AND, of those 23 points, 6 came on the pick-6, one score came on a busted coverage by a sophomore DB immediately following a turnover, the first FG came after the Bobcats gifted the Eagles a half-dozen extra plays on their opening drive, and one score came on a legitimate drive. All that to say: Celina's defense is very, very good, and I think it's the best Argyle will face all season long, even in the postseason.

I don’t think Argyles offense is any less explosive how about maybe Celina  just has a really really good defense!?🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, TCU44 said:

I don’t see it on NFHS.I bet it’s on YouTube like  last weeks game maybe I’m wrong?

Nah......already checked.  There ain't no Livestream of this game tonight.......only a broadcast on Argyle Broadcast Network with Kenny Arthur and Mitch Cullen on the play by play.  Or maybe La Vega has their own broadcast live also........but there ain't no Livestream for sure.

• Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, TCU44 said:

I don’t think Argyles offense is any less explosive how about maybe Celina  just has a really really good defense!?🤷🏼‍♂️

Well, like I already said in the post, Celina does have a very good defense. In fact, like I said, I think the Bobcats have the best defense Argyle will face.

That can be true, and I believe it is, and it can also be true that Argyle’s offense isn’t quite what it typically is. It’s still very good. It will still put up buckets of points against most teams. But it’s not what it was last year, or in 2013, even. The Eagles have plenty of talent. But they don’t have a Cole Kirkpatrick or a Cash Walker even. They don’t have a Tito Byce — Scoggins is good, but Byce was great. And as good and efficient as Robinson has been at QB, he’s not CJ Rogers, who might be the best QB Argyle’s had. Argyle has some great athletes on offense, no doubt, but they don’t have that level of talent.

Defensively, though, this is the best unit Argyle has ever put on the field in my opinion.