Week 4: Argyle(3-0) @ La Vega(2-1)

regaleagle

Now 3rd and 4 after that pass to McCollum.  At the the LV 32.  Now another low snap and Robinson is sacked.....about 10 low snaps tonight.......Coach Rodgers is not happy.......a major problem all night in this game tonight for Argyle.  Argyle has to punt now.  44 yd punt downed at the 2 yd line.  3:33 left to play.

Not sure Argyle is the team everyone has been talking about on this thread.  Too many question marks on offense.  Not sure they have a go to QB as well.  We'll see how they respond and how other teams use this game film to adjust.  Certainly not an elite 5a team.

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

42-28 Melissa over Heritage still in the 3rd qtr. Melissa has the ball at midfield.

Now they are showing it's the 4th qtr.  4th and 4 and Melissa is sacked.  Not over yet. 9:38 to go and the Jaguars are down 2 TD's but have the ball now at their own 38.  Wide open receiver drops a deep pass.....it was an easy TD if he catches it......Oh my oh my.

Now another deep pass is dropped, but interference against Melissa.   ON the Melissa 38......2nd and 12.  Screen is intercepted by Whitward and he runs it back to the Jaguar 7 yd line. The ball was tipped.....almost a Pick 6.  Now Melissa will go in to ice this game.  Mitchell-Johnson runs it to the one.  Melissa scores and this game is most likely done.  Still about 7  minutes left.  Melissa 48-28......it ain't over til it's over.

The plethora of low snaps to QB Robinson all night caused serious problems for the Argyle offense and the timing on runs and passes.  It gave the LV defense more time to recover or throw the RB's for losses.....and Robinson for losses  several times also.  That situation will have to get corrected in the next two weeks as Argyle  will have its Bye Week next week.

1 minute ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Regale 

Argyle will need to get a lot better on offense if they are going to repete. 
LBJ had no problem with LV. 
Argyle’s defense played a very good game tonight. 

You know I was the lone guy here trying to tell everybody the offense needs work.  Now everybody else sees what I already saw.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:29 AM, regaleagle said:

1. La Vega is a better team than they showed last week......even against a real contender.

2. LV inflicted self-humilation against themselves last week.......that will NOT happen again this week.

3. LV is playing at home this week in front of their own fans against Argyle.......they will be well-prepared and ready.

4. Overall team speed on offense is their stock and trade, and they use that big offensive line to open up the seams.  Their backs run the angles with great skill.

5. They will have an entire week to live with their underperformance.  I just don't think their players want to go thru a week like this week will be......again anytime soon.

6.  They are more familiar with what Argyle does than anyone else they have faced so far this season.......they will have some confidence in that.

7.  LV would just LOVE to upset Argyle in their own stadium in front of their loyal fanbase.  It's a big, big game for both teams.

8. Downfield blocking is probably the best Argyle will see this season.......LV puts great emphasis on holding blocks and blocking downfield with all of their players.  That's how they create the space they need for their speedy backs. IF you run the ball as often as LV does, then there are no limits for the linemen or any of the offense to block.  They get very adept doing this.......they do it very well over and over and over.

LV's backs are all very quick and run very well.  Even their QB has speed and a good arm to go with it.  They are not as ready now as they will be come playoff time, but they are very good.  That loss against LBJ was against a very very good football team that has lots of talented players with speed and size.  BUT......maybe LV could win that game in 5 more weeks.  It's that kinda deal with LV.......they tend to get better as the season unfolds.  But I suspected that LV got caught just "not being fully prepared" for that game......they are waaay better than they showed last week, for sure.

For anybody that wants to see the video Livestream......you can still do it now.  Just go to Argyle football twitter and click the Modoc Livestream link and it will take you there.  If you wanna listen to the game, the only broadcast available is the Argyle Broadcast team on Sportsgram.  Just open up a new deal and click on the broadcast, then try to co-ordinate the game action with the broadcast.  You can get it to within a second of the action if you mess with it.

After viewing the video livestream again, I can see what kind of game Coach Rodgers wanted to play.  Jacob Robinson has only QB'd for 4 games now in his football career......he's young, inexperienced, but very athletic and has a huge upside. They want to bring him along in stages, give him confidence, and let him develop into a really good QB. So they ran, ran, and ran the ball almost as much as LV......even though Argyle is really more of a balanced offense. Against Celina and now LV......two very good defenses.......the Argyle coaching staff has opted run the ball more than to throw it......to allow Robinson to develop at the QB position.  Argyle can be successful throwing the ball more.......but better for everybody early in this season to run it more now.  Better for the development of the O-line, better for the rb's, and better for Robinson.  The only group not getting enough work are the receivers......but they will be fine because they can all get open and make the catches when their time finally comes. Basically Argyle won this game beating LV at their own game......tough defense, run the ball, and play physical.  I like what I see from the way the Argyle coaching staff is approaching things for the long run with Robinson back there as a "newbie"........I agree with it and think it's the right way to bring the whole team together to help the players become better faster.  A little adversity never hurts early on.......and now we know that Argyle can handle it.  All in all......I just knew this game was gonna be a big test, and Argyle passed the test......again.  A very important win for the Argyle Eagles going forward for a multitude of reasons. Let all of that sink in. I think those Argyle coaches really know what they are doing.  Robinson is a junior.  He's green and athletic, but very promising.  He's starting to show more poise back there and again tonight made some darn accurate throws under pressure.  He actually threw a perfect long strike that was ruled offensive interference that was a TD.  And a couple of darts to the sidelines to well covered receivers.......pretty impressive stuff when you really look closely.  Mark my word.......Robinson is gonna be really good by the playoffs.  And he handled most of those low bad snaps with poise tonight......even though it caused bad timing and pressure his way.  He throws accurately on the run, and knows how to escape pressure.......sometimes a little too soon, but he's getting the feel back there. And he's got good speed for the keepers. And he's tough.

As for Zach Ohlemeier, he's the backup QB at this point, a senior, and plays safety as well.  I'm sure he will see plenty of action this season at both positions.  He's a very capable QB when he does play that position, and continues to improve at that position as he gets more practice and more real minutes in gametime situations. But last season for Flower Mound Marcus he was a starter the entire season at safety and was an all-district choice.  Argyle is really in a fantastic position depthwise on defense and offense.......it's just important to make sure that the first two units get plenty of playing time. Argyle is doing a good job interchanging players during the game with the starting units.  It should all come together and show its benefits by playoff time.  LV does much of the same thing with their team......they have so many quality rb's that it is difficult to keep up with them. Paris is the same way with their Rb's......they've got at least 5 good ones that play regularly every game.

If you look at all the top programs in 4A......and even in 3A to a lesser degree, the common denominator for winning and reloading is depth.  Building a "winning program" starts with participation numbers, and then depth.  At the junior high level first, then the Freshman and JV levels next, and finally at the varsity level......even if the players don't have that much previous experience.  Sometimes a guy with very little or no previous years of experience in football turns out to be really good......or a surprisingly effective player on the team......that's depth.  Playing the 2nd and 3rd teamers as much as possible builds depth......special teams, backup roles, just suiting up for games and practicing with the varsity gets them experience.  Experience equates to better players, and better players equates to more wins. More wins equates to higher participation rates and now you build the program and are able to reload instead of rebuild.