Week 4: Argyle(3-0) @ La Vega(2-1)

27 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I’ve been saying it, Argyle is basically an elite 5a team right now playing in 4a. Until they are realigned next year I don’t think anybody will give them much of a challenge. This will be a telling game this week. If any team is going to challenge them in 4a DI, I think it’s LV. But Argyle may have very well played their toughest game of the year already against Celina. I think this is one of those years where DII has more elite teams than DI. Just don’t see anybody challenging Argyle in 4a DI this year. Argyle by 21 something like 48-27.

If La Vega can challenge them, I think Austin LBJ can also ……. 28 - 7 last week. 

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

If La Vega can challenge them, I think Austin LBJ can also ……. 28 - 7 last week. 

That’s what I’m saying. Don’t think it will be anybody. But LV and Argyle has kind of grown into a rivalry as many times as they have played over the years, so I would expect Argyle to get LV’s best shot. If Argyle was to play LBJ doubt it would be close. Argyle is way too disciplined with plus athletes for a team like LBJ to hang with them IMO.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:56 PM, Argyle2014 said:

I honestly don’t see this game being close at all. Argyle by 21-28

Agreed, I think LV may be done for a little while as far as the top echelon of 4A football.
I do not expect this to be a good contest after the first quarter.

Yeah, La Vega really struggled with LBJ's speed and athleticism, and that just doesn't bode well for the Pirates in this matchup. Argyle has a ton of speed, a ton of discipline and a ton of size, especially in the trenches. I don't want to sound ridiculous, but I think our assessments of a 21-to-28-point spread might be conservative. I wouldn't be shocked if this thing ends up with a score of 42-7 or 49-7, somewhere around there.

And for what it's worth, I could see La Vega easily coming in third place in their district, finishing behind Stephenville and Midlothian Heritage.

14 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Yeah, La Vega really struggled with LBJ's speed and athleticism, and that just doesn't bode well for the Pirates in this matchup. Argyle has a ton of speed, a ton of discipline and a ton of size, especially in the trenches. I don't want to sound ridiculous, but I think our assessments of a 21-to-28-point spread might be conservative. I wouldn't be shocked if this thing ends up with a score of 42-7 or 49-7, somewhere around there.

And for what it's worth, I could see La Vega easily coming in third place in their district, finishing behind Stephenville and Midlothian Heritage.

I watched the Argyle/Celina game video again last night.  I agree about the speed, size, and lines......and the D is just very very impressive.  But the offense.......it ain't there yet.  Against a good defense like Celina has, or another team might have......Argyle will need to continue to work on improving that side of the ball if they want to become dominant.  A low-scoring game will put the heavily-favored Argyle in a precarious position if their offense does not improve substantially going forward.  The good news is that it is still early in the season, and most probably the Argyle coaches with help to get the Eagles' offensive machine cranking like it should.  In fact......it's about that time now this week.  Or at least by the time district play arrives......which is in 2 weeks against Melissa.  Next week is Argyle's Bye Week......so this week we need to see some substantial improvement on the offensive side of the ball.  Melissa has a very good offense and has no problem putting up the points.  Thank goodness for Argyle's excellent and very dominant defense, Huh?

9 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I watched the Argyle/Celina game video again last night.  I agree about the speed, size, and lines......and the D is just very very impressive.  But the offense.......it ain't there yet.  Against a good defense like Celina has, or another team might have......Argyle will need to continue to work on improving that side of the ball if they want to become dominant.  A low-scoring game will put the heavily-favored Argyle in a precarious position if their offense does not improve substantially going forward.  The good news is that it is still early in the season, and most probably the Argyle coaches with help to get the Eagles' offensive machine cranking like it should.  In fact......it's about that time now this week.  Or at least by the time district play arrives......which is in 2 weeks against Melissa.  

I don't disagree with you about the offense, but I think Argyle may be just a touch spoiled with just how explosive their offenses have typically been. This group I think lacks those electric play makers that those scoreboard-wrecking teams had, however, there are still some studs on the offensive side of the balI, both in the trenches and at the skill positions.

And I will say, Argyle may not play another defense as good as Celina's this season. If you look at their schedule as it is right now, even projecting potential playoff games, there's nobody there whose defense is at the level of the Bobcats, at least not that I've seen so far. I know the Eagles put up 23 points against the Bobcats, but I feel comfortable in saying that will be the lowest scoring output of the season for Argyle. AND, of those 23 points, 6 came on the pick-6, one score came on a busted coverage by a sophomore DB immediately following a turnover, the first FG came after the Bobcats gifted the Eagles a half-dozen extra plays on their opening drive, and one score came on a legitimate drive. All that to say: Celina's defense is very, very good, and I think it's the best Argyle will face all season long, even in the postseason.

I guess there will be no Livestream of this game since it will be an away game for Argyle in Belmead.  Guess I'll google up Sportsgram and LISTEN LIVE to the Argyle Broadcast Network as Kenny Arthur and Mick Cullen call the play by play.  Pre-game this week starts at 6:30 and Kickoff @ 7 pm.  Willie Williams Stadium.

Hopefully Vega makes them as least sweat a little. Argyle needs some competitive work if they expect to go undefeated in their district. I expect they will but a couple teams are capable of giving them a game if the eagles play poorly. I expect this rivalry to end especially with argyle moving up. Not really knowing their rivalries I expect some to vanish. I always wanted that Carthage matchup but that might have been asking a lot with Vega and PG ( in their prime ) already on the schedule lol.

30 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

Argyle 55

Waco LV 12

If argyle stays healthy the only team that could possibly push them is Austin LBJ!✌️

Actually I take that back not one team in 4A D1 will challenge Argyle the rest of season! 

In my unqualified opinion I think there are a few teams that are so talented that it would be hard to imagine that anyone in their classification could beat them. Some will certainly face defeat and if they are defeated, it would have to be because of circumstances beyond their control. Argyle is one of those teams in my opinion.  Those teams that are nearly unbeatable are Rockwall, Southlake Carroll, Austin Westlake, Lovejoy, Aledo and even though they have lost one, these may win the rest of theirs, such as Denton Ryan, Rockwall Heath and Aubrey.  Going to be some very talented teams winning the State Championships this year and those games are ones that would be worth the tickets at Jerry World....if they actually get to play there, which they should. 

After watching that back and forth exciting game between LBJ and Liberty Hill last night.......the La Vega loss to LBJ 28-7 last week doesn't look so bad.  LBJ is most certainly a contender and has everything a coaching staff is looking for in a championship team, for sure.  They have the lines, the good QB, the speed, quality receivers with the good hands and athletic ability,  and a very stout defense.  I gotta give em 4 stars for the win last night......they went out and earned it on the field.  Liberty Hill's team this season looked pretty darn good all around.......they only lost by 7 and both teams played stellar.  Basically Liberty Hill lost because they were behind when the clock ran out......it was that kind of game.