2021-22 SDC College Coaching Carousel

Stoney

16 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

3 college football coaches who should be on the hot seat after week 11

3. Manny Diaz – Miami Hurricanes

Prior to Saturday, the Miami Hurricanes had a nice little winning streak against the Florida State Seminoles. Unfortunately for Manny Diaz, that streak is over. The Hurricanes were humbled Saturday as they ended up losing 31-28.

This is a game that Florida State was able to take control of early on, but Miami had a solid lead late in the game. In the fourth quarter, the Hurricanes jumped ahead 28-20 thanks to two consecutive scores. But, due to a late surge, Florida State was able to score 11 unanswered points in the final five minutes of the game.

Miami is now 5-5 on the year after losing to a really bad Florida State team. How much longer will Diaz still be the head coach of the Hurricanes? Will they continue to trust his ability to lead them forward?

2. James Franklin – Penn State Nittany Lions

The Penn State Nittany Lions had a miserable time against the Michigan Wolverines Saturday. In a game that was more than winnable, Penn State fell short. Because of the high expectations this program came into the year with, James Franklin should be feeling some pressure for how his team has underachieved. He should definitely be criticized for his record against quality opponents.

Penn State, in Franklin's eighth season, should be contending with and beating these sorts of teams. The Nittany Lions should be making it to the Big Ten Championship Game regularly. Franklin hasn't done that. He's underachieving. He made a name for himself by overachieving at Vanderbilt, but it seems like he's plateaued at Penn State.

1. Dan Mullen – Florida Gators

It doesn't matter that the Florida Gators won. It doesn't matter that Florida's offense was able to put up 70 points. It matters that Florida had to score at will. It matters that the Gators struggled so much against Samford. It matters that Florida allowed Samford to score 52 points. Dan Mullen should be sickened with how his team barely survived its meeting with an FCS foe.

Florida is one win away from bowl eligibility and the two remaining games are certainly winnable, but the Gators have such high expectations and merely making it to a meager bowl game just isn't good enough. Not for a program of this caliber. Mullen has to do better. He proved to be a capable coach at a previous stop, but he's not doing that in Gainesville.

For more NCAA football news, analysis, opinion and unique coverage by FanSided, including Heisman Trophy and College Football Playoff rankings, be sure to bookmark these pages.

Who should hire them if they are fired:

1. James Franklin- Washington.  The definition of a perfect fit.

2. Manny Diaz- UMASS.  Give the guy another chance... to actually build something from nothing.

3. Dan Mullen- Tough call.  He is a guy that belongs in the south.  Right now, I would say an AAC school whose coach leaves for a better job.  Something like a Houston, Cincy, Tulane, LA Tech etc etc etc...

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 12:23 PM, Valhalla said:

Maybe whatever the "Pac 12 guy" version of that is lol.

heavy on the Old Spice or Hai Karate cologne, a "good snow plow for trade" sign, a lot of clicking his tongue/teeth and saying "how'ya doing there girly"..."know who my dad is? he's that guy that yells PLAYOFFS, PLAYOFFS"

23 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Who should hire them if they are fired:

1. James Franklin- Washington.  The definition of a perfect fit.

2. Manny Diaz- UMASS.  Give the guy another chance... to actually build something from nothing.

3. Dan Mullen- Tough call.  He is a guy that belongs in the south.  Right now, I would say an AAC school whose coach leaves for a better job.  Something like a Houston, Cincy, Tulane, LA Tech etc etc etc...

I actually think Dan Mullen finds his way into a nfl OC roll at seasons end. 

56 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Funny thing about Fuente. When Sumlin was on the way out I would have been totally okay with Fuente replacing him. That was pre backing up the Brinks truck for Jimbo and Fuente’s struggles at VaTech.

I thought he could have been a Stoops replacement one day a few years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Funny thing about Fuente. When Sumlin was on the way out I would have been totally okay with Fuente replacing him. That was pre backing up the Brinks truck for Jimbo and Fuente’s struggles at VaTech.

He did sort of fizzle out very quickly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Has Lincoln to LSU been a thing and I just missed it? The Twitter handle has 80k followers so I assume they’re legit. Only thing I can figure with Luginbill is he’s hearing from recruiting world. 

10A3ABAC-FCF6-4896-A1DB-0315CADDB030.jpeg

I see why Riley would want to make that move...  but I don't understand why LSU would. Riley is far from a homerun hire. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Has Lincoln to LSU been a thing and I just missed it? The Twitter handle has 80k followers so I assume they’re legit. Only thing I can figure with Luginbill is he’s hearing from recruiting world. 

I just don't see Riley leaving the model of athletic department stability for what is going on at LSU.

I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

They were tracking planes last week I believe out of Norman to Baton Rouge.

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I just don't see Riley leaving the model of athletic department stability for what is going on at LSU.

I could be wrong though.

Agreed. LSU has a lot of internal issues still under investigation. I actually think they will make a very underwhelming hire because of this. 

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I could be wrong though.

Lateral move? Maybe a smidge below that due to the issues surrounding LSU.

Just now, WETSU said:

Agreed. LSU has a lot of internal issues still under investigation. I actually think they will make a very underwhelming hire because of this. 

Orgeron is getting paid not to be the fall guy. The next guy could be that if they think something damaging will come out. Let him suffer a year or two. Then get the big name.

56 minutes ago, LOL said:

I see why Riley would want to make that move...  but I don't understand why LSU would. Riley is far from a homerun hire. 

LSU is lacking offense, and that is all LSU needs to be really good THIS YEAR.  That is Lincoln's legend... he is a great offensive guy with stud QBs....  Those people haven't watched much football this year...  If Lincoln is willing to leave OU for LSU, he is a fraud...  Leaving for anything other than the NFL, he would lose all of my respect.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Orgeron is getting paid not to be the fall guy. The next guy could be that if they think something damaging will come out. Let him suffer a year or two. Then get the big name.

LSU recruiting can't afford to suffer for 1-2 more years.  They need an uptick or they will fall into Texas/USC territory where it becomes a revolving door of mediocrity.

9 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

LSU is lacking offense, and that is all LSU needs to be really good THIS YEAR.  That is Lincoln's legend... he is a great offensive guy with stud QBs....  Those people haven't watched much football this year...  If Lincoln is willing to leave OU for LSU, he is a fraud...  Leaving for anything other than the NFL, he would lose all of my respect.

It’s a better job for just the “football” IMO.

• Like 1

One thing for sure, the recruiting piece of his job would become 100 percent easier. Defensive talent would also never be an issue. He could literally hire Mike Stoops as his coordinator and still have a better defense than 3/4 of the teams in FCS. 

Next, he'd be free of OU's puritanical compliance department. More bagmen and under the table dealings. Oh sure, there'd be the occasional dust-up with the NCAA for more egregious violations, but he'd skate through it. 

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Hawaii football program and Todd Graham
  • Mr. P changed the title to 2021-22 SDC College Coaching Carousel