Week Five: Longview at West Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (3-1) vs West Mesquite Wranglers (2-2)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • West Mesquite in a close one
    • West Mesquite in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2021 at 12:00 AM

longview.pngwestmesquite.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (3-1) AT WEST MESQUITE WRANGLERS (2-2)

DATE: Thursday, September 23rd, 2021
TIME: 7:00 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
WEST MESQUITE BROADCAST: 88.5 FM KEOM
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday
WEST MESQUITE LIVE STREAM: Mesquite Memorial Stadium YouTube

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 1-0-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at West Mesquite.
The two schools have never played at Mesquite Memorial Stadium.
The two schools have never played on September 23rd.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
10.23.2020 - Longview 49, West Mesquite 24 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
To open the 2021 season, the Lobos had a chance to end Denton Ryan's 59-game regular season winning streak. Longview failed on the opening week of the year with that task. Last Friday, Longview got a second chance to end a long winning streak, this time the 32-game overall winning streak of the Bryant Hornets. Despite two turnovers and an inconsistent offense, the Lobos finally broke through with ending a long streak as they knocked off the 3-time defending 7A Arkansas State Champions by a 24-21 scoreline. The Lobos, who improved to 3-1 on the season, found themselves trailing right before half and late in the 3rd quarter only to quickly turn things around and grab a 24-14 lead midway through the third quarter. Bryant was able to add a touchdown on the final play of the game. The win for Longview improved them to 18-0 all-time on Homecoming night under head coach John King. The Lobos' last loss on homecoming night in 2003, when the No. 9 ranked Tyler Lee Red Raiders defeated the Lobos 18-14, after trailing 14-3 at halftime. Longview also won their 750th game as a football program, dating back to 1909. They become the 8th program in Texas high school football history to reach that 750 mark. The Lobos now turn to the games that matter, in district play. The Lobos open their 18th season under head coach John King for district play, with a 15-2 record on the opening week of district action. Longview's only losses in week 1 of district play came against Mesquite in 2012 & Mesquite Horn in 2017...both at EH Hanby Stadium. West Mesquite enters district play with a 2-2 record, but easily could be 4-0 on the year. The Wranglers fell to Poteet, 22-19, after leading the Pirates late in the game before a blocked punt turned the tide. The Wranglers also led Keller Timber Creek 28-6 before the Falcons took over the contest in the second half. West Mesquite has not won a district opener since 2017, after losing to Denton Ryan to open district play in 2018 & 2019 and to Longview in 2020. The Lobos return to Mesquite Memorial Stadium, after their previous visit in 2020 that ended their season against Denton Ryan, 27-9. Longview holds a 13-4 all-time record at Mesquite Memorial. Longview's last regular season loss at Mesquite Memorial came in 2010, when the Lobos blew a 14-3 lead in the 4th quarter to North Mesquite losing 24-14.

WEEK FOUR RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Longview 24 Bryant (AR) 21
Highland Park 52 Rockwall 31
McKinney North 35 Rockwall Heath 70
Sherman 0 McKinney 57
Tyler 34 Mesquite Horn 26
West Mesquite 40 Keller Timber Creek 35
Wylie East - OFF

WEEK FIVE 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Longview at West Mesquite
McKinney North at Tyler
Sherman at Wylie East
Highland Park - OFF

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Highland Park (3-1, 0-0)
2nd. Longview (3-1, 0-0)
3rd. Wylie East (2-1, 0-0)
4th. Sherman (2-2, 0-0)
5th. Tyler (2-2, 0-0)
6th. West Mesquite (2-2, 0-0)
7th. McKinney North (1-3, 0-0)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last game - Magnolia defeated Lufkin 27-21, Magnolia West defeated Cleveland 41-14, College Station defeated New Caney Porter 45-3, Waller defeated Conroe Caney Creek 41-14, New Caney is off.
This week - Cleveland host Magnolia, College Station hosts New Caney, Conroe Caney Creek hosts Magnolia West, Lufkin hosts New Caney Porter, Waller is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 3-1 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (191-41 in 18 seasons) (Playoffs: 43-16)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 750-352-52 (Playoffs: 72-43-1)
Playoff Appearances: 46
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Denton Ryan (in Frisco) - Loss 40-7
09.03 - vs Marshall - Win 14-0
09.10 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 46-20
09.17 - vs Bryant, AR - Win 24-21
09.23 - at West Mesquite
10.01 - vs Wylie East
10.08 - at Highland Park
10.15 - vs Sherman
10.28 - at McKinney North
11.05 - vs Tyler

WEST MESQUITE WRANGLERS
Record: 2-2 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Frank Sandoval (3-11 in 2 seasons) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1982
All-Time Record: 202-208-3 (Playoffs: 8-12-0)
Playoff Appearances: 12
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 5A Division I Area Round
State Championships (0): n/a
State Championship Appearances (0): n/a
SCHEDULE:
08.27 - vs Waco - Win 34-17
09.03 - v. Mesquite Poteet - Loss 22-19
09.10 - vs Fort Worth Chisholm Trail - Win 57-36
09.16 - at Keller Timber Creek - Loss 40-35
09.23 - vs Longview
09.30 - at McKinney North
10.08 - vs Tyler
10.21 - at Wylie East
10.29 - vs Highland Park
11.05 - at Sherman

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 23rd
In 1938, Longview knocked off Dallas Crozier Tech 14-7 in the Cotton Bowl just under 9 months after winning the school’s first state championship at the same stadium.
In 1949, Tommy Rae hauled in a 28-yard touchdown pass for an early 6-0 Lobo lead before Paris responded with two scores to knock off Longview 13-6 at Noyes Stadium.
In 1955, Tony Rothrock tallied twice as Longview rushed for 326 yards in a 39-6 victory over Arkansas High at Burham Field. Pete Burks, Horace Johnson, Curtis Lemmons and Robert Cashell also scored the Lobos.
In 1960, Shreveport Byrd held the Lobos to 9 yards rushing and 107 yards total as the Yellowjackets shut out the Lobos, 34-0, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1966, Steve Judy rushed for an 82-yard touchdown while Rodney Hill scored for 40 yards out before Keith Parker kicked a 30-yard field goal as the Lobos knocked off Houston Smiley, 15-0, at Jones-Cowart Stadium.
In 1977, Jim Tutt kicked a 40-yard field goal before Dinky Edwards and Greg Brown each tallied in a 17-13 Longview victory over Galveston Ball at Lobo Stadium.
In 1983, Joe Johnson tallied twice, Steve Blaschke kicked a 24-yard field goal, Victor Crane tallied once and Leon Hendrix returned a 92-yard punt return for a score in a 29-11 victory over Tyler Lee at Lobo Stadium.
In 1988, Ernest Hunter tallied 4 times and rushed for 206 yards to push Longview past Tyler Lee, 28-20, at Rose Stadium.
In 1994, Bryan rushed out to a 24-0 lead before Chris Butcher brought Longview back to within 24-21 going into the 4th quarter but the Vikings held on with a safety in the 4th to win 26-20 at Viking Stadium. The Lobo defense held Bryan to 114 total yards on the night, but 4 lost fumbles ruined the day for the Lobos.
In 2005, Michael Berryman tallied twice before the running game went to work for the Lobos in a 48-0 shutout of the Mesquite Skeeters at EH Hanby Stadium. The Skeeters were held to 92 total yards on the night.
In 2016, Longview and Tyler Lee put on the offensive showcase with 1,089 total yards and 91 points scored at Rose Stadium. The Lobos held on thanks to 3 tallies from D’Crayvan Polk, with a 56-35 victory. Longview was helped on the night but a blocked field goal return for a score by Kobe Davis for 85 yards and a kickoff return by A’Darius Carter from 74 yards out for a score.

lobohowl2.GIF
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ANTI said:

Handle business and get out healthy.

Could have Tatum and Boone back this game or the next.

Was told to expect Tatum back this week, but we’ll see.

Will be fun to see a little Wednesday sub varsity football for me here in DFW.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Was told to expect Tatum back this week, but we’ll see.

Will be fun to see a little Wednesday sub varsity football for me here in DFW.

You'll have fun watching that freshmen squad, especially that defense. 

Future D1 back Washington is dealing with injury as you know, but the offense will still be able to move the ball with Maverick Rowe Qbing.

Just heads up, they'll play at Frazier MS Stadium, right beside Memorial. 

• Like 2

Don't see how being challenged much until the hp game these games before be warm ups give our guys more experience.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:37 AM, ANTI said:

You'll have fun watching that freshmen squad, especially that defense. 

Future D1 back Washington is dealing with injury as you know, but the offense will still be able to move the ball with Maverick Rowe Qbing.

How long is Washington expected out?

43 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

Don't see how being challenged much until the hp game these games before be warm ups give our guys more experience.

I am not so confident...We barely beat Marshall and the playcalling against Bryant was suspect.  I think LV has the potential to win both games going away but we are going to get their best effort.  This should be telling on how we are growing...

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 12:09 PM, kingwolf said:

I am not so confident...We barely beat Marshall and the playcalling against Bryant was suspect.  I think LV has the potential to win both games going away but we are going to get their best effort.  This should be telling on how we are growing...

I think this West team is much better than last year, but there's still no reason we shouldn't win this going away. Especially with how our defense has played.

I feel like I've already slipped a bit into this being a growing year and building towards next year, and I really can't be going there, cause this team does have potential if they're able to keep improving each day.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:37 AM, ANTI said:

Glad you said that, hadn't looked up the location yet. But know exactly where Frazier is after our soccer team(s) played there in the spring for the playoffs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Longview will win comfortably but West Mesquite is a much improved team...that race for 3rd and 4th in the district will be quite fun...

Yeah, I think Longview and HP have sorta righted the ship.

West is improved, more so than I thought they'd be prior to the season. Wylie East is improved...JT is playing a bit better now that the correct QB is starting.

Sherman and McKinney North....I cannot figure them out at all. McKinney North has done a nose dive since Week 1. They have talent and always seem to make it into the postseason but man.... was not pretty predistrict for them. Sherman will win a game one week and look awful the next.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, LoboFan07 said:

I think this West team is much better than last year, but there's still no reason we shouldn't win this going away. Especially with how our defense has played.

I feel like I've already slipped a bit into this being a growing year and building towards next year, and I really can't be going there, cause this team does have potential if they're able to keep improving each day.

I agree.  This game should not honestly be close.  The inconsistency is the problem.  I hope we come out rolling and leave no doubt early so these guys can get some could quality reps in.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:33 AM, JohnnyFootball said:

Gotta come to play every week. If the Lobos do that, there's no reason they can't run the table in district play. 

It looked like HP was in a down year but they hammered Rockwall.  That is going to be a major game at Highlander in a few weeks.

36 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I agree.  This game should not honestly be close.  The inconsistency is the problem.  I hope we come out rolling and leave no doubt early so these guys can get some could quality reps in.

Absolute truth. King even said it on the post game show, the inconsistency is just killing us at times. But that’s also what you get with an extremely young group.

Just keep improving. West does not have the talent anywhere near what we have (or anything close to what we have faced this year).

• Like 1

Was posted on the 6A board, but Jalen Hale's 2 scores against Bryant puts him into a tie for 3rd all-time in receiving touchdowns in Lobo history with 18....tying Malcolm Kelly in his junior season.

He's 5 behind Kamden Perry for top spot.