GILMER AT CARTHAGE

Sportsguru02

GILMER AT CARTHAGE  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

Carthage left so many points on the field it was not even funny. I think 4 or 5 TO on downs while on the Gilmer side of the field?  Not trying to take anything away from the Gilmer defense but more often than not it was things like an untimely penalty, a bad exchange between center and QB or bad snap. Carthage offense still has a lot to clean up, but I was encouraged to see the running game finally get going a bit tonight.

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

Carthage left so many points on the field it was not even funny. I think 4 or 5 TO on downs while on the Gilmer side of the field?  Not trying to take anything away from the Gilmer defense but more often than not it was things like an untimely penalty, a bad exchange between center and QB or bad snap. Carthage offense still has a lot to clean up, but I was encouraged to see the running game finally get going a bit tonight.

I couldn’t agree more. Two things became clear tonight; The QB issue, & the Running game became Real in this game. Carthage is well known for it’s balanced attack, but up until tonight, the Run was somewhat absent with any real success. There is still much work to do yet, but, as Always, Surratt, Preston & Company will deliver the goods.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, house said:

Carthage offense still very green.  Give them 5-6 more games and they will be where they need to be.

They just absolutely destroyed the #2 team in their division.  Like one 1st down and 40 yards of offense for Gilmer in 1st half kind of destroyed.  Watching the replay, the game was not as close as the scoreboard indicated.  While I agree the offense still appears to be a work in progress, who else do you think in 4A D2 can score enough points to beat them?  Serious question.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, house said:

They have beat 3 really good teams with a struggling offense.  No doubt there are other very good teams on the horizon, but they will now have several weeks of games to get that offense going.  

It’s like Surratt said last night in his post game interview, “Our Offense plays our Defense in Practice every day”... meaning, Carthage’s offense is already  playing the best Defense around, & they will be ready to take on anyone they meet, further down the road.

30 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

They just absolutely destroyed the #2 team in their division.  Like one 1st down and 40 yards of offense for Gilmer in 1st half kind of destroyed.  Watching the replay, the game was not as close as the scoreboard indicated.  While I agree the offense still appears to be a work in progress, who else do you think in 4A D2 can score enough points to beat them?  Serious question.

No, it was not as close as indicated. Between bad snaps, holding penalties, QB slipping and losing 10 yards on first down, etc, Carthage ended 4-5 possessions in Gilmer territory. 

16 minutes ago, house said:

They have beat 3 really good teams with a struggling offense.  No doubt there are other very good teams on the horizon, but they will now have several weeks of games to get that offense going.  

That’s the thing I’m most excited about. With the offense struggling more than I’ve seen a Carthage offense struggle in many years, they are still beating great teams with a dominant defense leading the way. If we can get some consistency going with the offense it will be another juggernaut all the way around 

• Like 1

You couldn’t ask Gilmer defense to play any better than they did last night. If you just 2 or 3 first downs and take 2 or 3 mins off the clock on some of the drives in the first half, the score would of been 7-0 going into half. You just gotta know ur Dfence is gonna break at some point with how much they were on the field.

1 minute ago, Sportsguru02 said:

You couldn’t ask Gilmer defense to play any better than they did last night. If you just 2 or 3 first downs and take 2 or 3 mins off the clock on some of the drives in the first half, the score would of been 7-0 going into half. You just gotta know ur Dfence is gonna break at some point with how much they were on the field.

Gilmer’s D played their butts off last night in the effort to keep the game within reach, & eventually the Offense began to make headway, which was worrisome to many of us on the home side, because we know how much this game meant to not only Carthage folk, but to our Guests, as well; Carthage/Gilmer is as a storied rivalry as one could ever hope for, we have seen what the Bucs can do once they start clicking; But I must admit, that Late game Pic 6 was Awesome for us Dawg fans! Keep playing strong, Bucs & clean up some of those costly mistakes & maybe we will meet again in December....

20 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Carthage fans I think #10 is the best QB no doubt and I know everyone thinks that wade and the hatten kid are matchup nightmares but I love 15 he is the key. That kid lined up at TE,WR, FB and RB u talking bout a Swiss Army knife. 

I mentioned earlier in the week that I expected him to get a lot of looks. 

37 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Carthage fans I think #10 is the best QB no doubt and I know everyone thinks that wade and the hatten kid are matchup nightmares but I love 15 he is the key. That kid lined up at TE,WR, FB and RB u talking bout a Swiss Army knife. 

#15 has been a big “surprise” to start the year. A kid that wasn’t necessarily on every fans radar, but he had a very good camp and has played very well in every game this year. 

I think Gilmer defense did all they could be asked for! They just couldn’t score points for the offense (nor should they have to!).

2 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Guru let’s be honest though, Gilmer cannot slow down their offense, bleed the clock, and do Gilmer things.  You guys are not built the same way PG is.  Metzel and the OC made a poor decision to game plan that way.  Gilmer needs to go up tempo regardless of their opponent.

4 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Guru let’s be honest though, Gilmer cannot slow down their offense, bleed the clock, and do Gilmer things.  You guys are not built the same way PG is.  Metzel and the OC made a poor decision to game plan that way.  Gilmer needs to go up tempo regardless of their opponent.

When did I say bleed the clock? I was saying you have to keep the ball at least for 2 or 3 mins even if u don’t get a score. I agree with you with the offensive play calling they reminded me of the coach from water boy when he had to face the old coach lol.

7 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

When did I say bleed the clock? I was saying you have to keep the ball at least for 2 or 3 mins even if u don’t get a score. I agree with you with the offensive play calling they reminded me of the coach from water boy when he had to face the old coach lol.

I wasn’t saying you wanted to bleed the clock, but from what I could see on the film that’s what it looked like Metzel and the OC were trying to do.  “Let’s not get beat by 56 again.”  Instead of “Let’s run our offense and see if they can keep up”.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I wasn’t saying you wanted to bleed the clock, but from what I could see on the film that’s what it looked like Metzel and the OC were trying to do.  “Let’s not get beat by 56 again.”  Instead of “Let’s run our offense and see if they can keep up”.

Facts I said the same thing last night at the game 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I have a question. Why do coaches wives and friends get mad when fans are critical of the coach but they can yell at the kids to tackle and block from the stands?

Because people are inherently inconsistent and irrational, women even more so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I have a question. Why do coaches wives and friends get mad when fans are critical of the coach but they can yell at the kids to tackle and block from the stands?

Because fans get mad at the coach when kids don’t tackle and block. 
When fans say we were out coached or they were better prepared, ect... its because they can’t say our kids are not as good as their kids. (more often than not)