GILMER AT CARTHAGE

Sportsguru02

GILMER AT CARTHAGE  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

24 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

Gilmer has some classless fans but that is on their school district but I guess that’s what Carthage ISD wants to be about.

Why don’t you take those sour grapes and make some “whine”.

It was a high school kid who did it to have fun. You sound like a democrat.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Man, it looked like the Dawg defense knew our offensive plays better that we did.  Of course, it certainly didn't hurt that Surratt, Preston, and company had three weeks to prepare, and for the players to get healthy.  I felt like Carthage would win in a low scoring game, but I didn't think they would keep making us go three and out so often, and hold us to 7 points.  We never found a rhythm on offense at all.  One thing I was disappointed in was that we "let" Carthage set the pace of the game.  When you play a team as good as Carthage is, you absolutely have to set the pace, maintain it, and preferably early in the game.  That's extremely hard to do when you can't get any offensive rhythm going at all.  I thought our defense played their butts off and kept us in the game, especially considering they were on the field for almost the entire game.  It's not unusual for us to not win the time of possession stats, but I seriously doubt we had the ball for 12 minutes the whole game.  It's extremely hard to beat anybody if the other team's offense is on the field for 3 out of 4 quarters. If / when we meet again, we will have to score at least 35 to 40 points to have any chance at beating Carthage, because I know their offense will only get better, and their defense is good enough already.  Like somebody else said, it looked like we played "scared".  You can't be that way against good teams.  You have to have confidence in what you do, and play like it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Gilmer has some classless fans but that is on their school district but I guess that’s what Carthage ISD wants to be about.

Does Gilmer ISD or fans have any room to call anyone classless? Remember when this was hung in the hall? But a 70-14 post makes CISD classless…lol gtfoh

409861BC-D7E9-4B91-8AF4-42F2493622FA.jpeg

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, blackflag79 said:

Man, it looked like the Dawg defense knew our offensive plays better that we did.  Of course, it certainly didn't hurt that Surratt, Preston, and company had three weeks to prepare, and for the players to get healthy.  I felt like Carthage would win in a low scoring game, but I didn't think they would keep making us go three and out so often, and hold us to 7 points.  We never found a rhythm on offense at all.  One thing I was disappointed in was that we "let" Carthage set the pace of the game.  When you play a team as good as Carthage is, you absolutely have to set the pace, maintain it, and preferably early in the game.  That's extremely hard to do when you can't get any offensive rhythm going at all.  I thought our defense played their butts off and kept us in the game, especially considering they were on the field for almost the entire game.  It's not unusual for us to not win the time of possession stats, but I seriously doubt we had the ball for 12 minutes the whole game.  It's extremely hard to beat anybody if the other team's offense is on the field for 3 out of 4 quarters. If / when we meet again, we will have to score at least 35 to 40 points to have any chance at beating Carthage, because I know their offense will only get better, and their defense is good enough already.  Like somebody else said, it looked like we played "scared".  You can't be that way against good teams.  You have to have confidence in what you do, and play like it.

I agree you except, no one will score 30 against this Dawg defense. 

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Try watching in person. I cried a ton. Definitely hurt me when Michael Irvin asked me what I thought about Carthage.  He said 8 titles is impressive no matter what level. That when I first needed a beer. 

That is hilarious that as someone who doesn’t regularly take in a Carthage game, you came to this one and just so happen to have Michael Irvin rub it in at you, unbeknownst to him. Lol 

• LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I know . I am totally serious. My friend got me a ticket and I wasn’t dressed like everyone else. Mr Irvin didn’t realize I wasn’t a fan but was down to earth guy. Definitely worth the trip. That acknowledgment of Carthage was a difficult pill to swallow. 

I could have rented you a “C” cap so you would have blended in...😜

Here is my thing, because a common theme seems to be some people think the gap has shrunk... 

I don't think so.  If Carthage had not shot their selves in the foot every other snap on offense, this game might have been more like 40 something to 7.  This may not sit well with some, but I think if they meet again the score will be further apart, not closer.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, bossman1 said:

I thought that it was funny when he said that the coaching was equal.

I didn't think it was a bad interview at all really. Ive seen a lot of posts talking about the Gilmer broadcast team claiming they were getting the shaft by the refs, but Interviewer and Coach Metzel both applauded the officials and how clean a game it was. I think the comment from the Interviewer about Carthage being nervous next time was a little silly given the last several meetings history between the two teams, but what's he supposed to say? You got to have a little confidence and something to aspire for.  

3 minutes ago, bossman1 said:

I thought that it was funny when he said that the coaching was equal.

That was the interviewer that said that.  These teams are NOT equally coached.  You have win 8 state championships in 13 years, probably 9 in 14 after this year to be "equal".  That's just a silly statement no matter who made it.

• Thanks 2