GILMER AT CARTHAGE

Sportsguru02

GILMER AT CARTHAGE  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, house said:

nothing taken out of context.  simply said one thing i learned from the show.  

All big games start out with both teams being somewhat "nervous", but that changes after a few plays for the better teams.  Unfortunately, it didn't look like we settled down early enough, especially on offense.  Coach Metzel was just agreeing with Jeff the interviewer when it was said, and I believe he was right to an extent.  That's about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackflag79 said:

That was the interviewer that said that.  These teams are NOT equally coached.  You have win 8 state championships in 13 years, probably 9 in 14 after this year to be "equal".  That's just a silly statement no matter who made it.

I never heard one word in the interview about only having 17 total yards and one first down midway through the third quarter.  
The mishandled balls by the Dawg QB stopped the offense way more than the Gilmer Defense. The muffed punt and ball mishaps lead to seven points. 
There was never a guarantee that Gilmer could score on the Dawgs. 
The touchdown that they did score, the QB was running for his life and made a unbelievable throw to the receiver which made a heck of a diving catch. 
If they meet again, you can bet the Dawg offense will be hitting on all cylinders and the Dawg defense will be even better. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Here is my thing, because a common theme seems to be some people think the gap has shrunk... 

I don't think so.  If Carthage had not shot their selves in the foot every other snap on offense, this game might have been more like 40 something to 7.  This may not sit well with some, but I think if they meet again the score will be further apart, not closer.  

I believe the gap did shrink "some", but not nearly enough.  You can always go back and say "if" so and so hadn't have done this, or wouldn't have done that, we would've beaten them worse.  Hindsight is 20/20.  We could say that as well.  I do agree with the last sentence.  It will probably be worse when/if we meet again.

• Like 1

The interviewer said that a couple of times.  Never thought that was the coaches statement.  Just entertaining.  I thought they were a little heavy on the "homecooking" and Carthage "always holds" when calling the game, but that's just their team.  Carthage being nervous to play Gilmer was just funny to me.

Just now, blackflag79 said:

I believe the gap did shrink "some", but not nearly enough.  You can always go back and say "if" so and so hadn't have done this, or wouldn't have done that, we would've beaten them worse.  Hindsight is 20/20.  We could say that as well.  I do agree with the last sentence.  It will probably be worse when/if we meet again.

That is true.  I know Gilmer had some drops they certainly would have liked to have back that would have kept some drives and momentum going!

2 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I never heard one word in the interview about only having 17 total yards and one first down midway through the third quarter.  
The mishandled balls by the Dawg QB stopped the offense way more than the Gilmer Defense. The muffed punt and ball mishaps lead to seven points. 
The touchdown that they did score, the QB was running for his life and made a unbelievable throw to the receiver which made a heck of a diving catch. 
If they meet again, you can bet the Dawg offense will be hitting on all cylinders and the Dawg defense will be even better. 

Okay...., the "what if" game again.  I do agree that Carthage will beat us worse when/if we meet again, unless something major happens.  Dropped balls early didn't help us either.  Our offensive line has to play better for sure. Etc., etc.

3 minutes ago, house said:

The interviewer said that a couple of times.  Never thought that was the coaches statement.  Just entertaining.  I thought they were a little heavy on the "homecooking" and Carthage "always holds" when calling the game, but that's just their team.  Carthage being nervous to play Gilmer was just funny to me.

Well..., they are homers for sure.  Heck, if you want the real truth, you could call "holding" on nearly every play on either team.  Some are just more obvious than others, and sometimes those get missed.  Officials are human.  They will make mistakes.  No excuses here.  Carthage is a just a better team...again.  We will have to make leaps and bounds and have a little luck if/when we meet y'all again this year.  Our coaches have a whole lot of figuring out to do to have any chance against Surratt, Preston, and company.

Call me soft hearted or whatever, but I actually have a fair amount of tolerance for what others say about Carthage.  Can you imagine trying to put together a championship caliber team knowing you probably will eventually face Carthage.  Thats got to be a little depressing.  

Certainly no guarantee the Dawgs continue their dominance, but there is no indication otherwise at this point.  

• Like 1

I would have to say 4 more years after this one, Scott will take a job in the college ranks.  Sooner or later, he has to think about how big that retirement check will be.

I also think Coach Preston will get an offer that he can't resist somewhere along the line.  Enjoy it while you can.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I would have to say 4 more years after this one, Scott will take a job in the college ranks.  Sooner or later, he has to think about how big that retirement check will be.

I also think Coach Preston will get an offer that he can't resist somewhere along the line.  Enjoy it while you can.

Surratt retires today, he makes $70,000+ a year in retirement the rest of his life.  His wife will have a nice retirement check in a few years as well. He has other sources of income. Money will not be the reason he stops coaching at Carthage. 
Preston makes more money than most 3A head coaches/athletic directors, with less troubles.  Will probably take a good 4A offer for him to leave. 

How old is Preston's son?  I'm sure it would be hard to leave this program before these two boys graduate.  It won't talk long for Peston and Surratt to make more than they need to live quite well.  I understand raising these boys is more important right now.  

2 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

That was the interviewer that said that.  These teams are NOT equally coached.  You have win 8 state championships in 13 years, probably 9 in 14 after this year to be "equal".  That's just a silly statement no matter who made it.

If I was watching this with no prior history on Gilmer, I would think Jeff is the HC and Alan was the radio guy.  This is a Coach’s Show.  It should never be dominated by the interviewer.  People want to hear the guy in charge.  SMH.

56 minutes ago, house said:

How old is Preston's son?  I'm sure it would be hard to leave this program before these two boys graduate.  It won't talk long for Peston and Surratt to make more than they need to live quite well.  I understand raising these boys is more important right now.  

Surratt & Preston are on track to set a record in high school football that could stand possibly for decades, if not forever. No sense in rushing History in the making... They will leave when they are ready.

Seems like if Preston holds on until little Surratt graduates, he might get his chance to run the Carthage program. Am I wrong in that thinking, Dawgs fans?

Of course, someone could come along and make him an offer he simply can't turn down. But he's in a great situation as it is, with the potential to be the man in a few years.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Seems like if Preston holds on until little Surratt graduates, he might get his chance to run the Carthage program. Am I wrong in that thinking, Dawgs fans?

Of course, someone could come along and make him an offer he simply can't turn down. But he's in a great situation as it is, with the potential to be the man in a few years.

That is a very interesting thought!  😎

3 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

We got our second fist down with the first snap of the 3rd qtr and y’all never muffed a punt ever because we squibbed kicked everyone of them. Also I can show you videos on why the QB mishandled the snaps it’s because the center got drove back into him. I get that Carthage D completely controlled the game but you are not being real with your analysis.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

We got our second fist down with the first snap of the 3rd qtr and y’all never muffed a punt ever because we squibbed kicked everyone of them. Also I can show you videos on why the QB mishandled the snaps it’s because the center got drove back into him. I get that Carthage D completely controlled the game but you are not being real with your analysis.

After the Gilmer TD, Carthage went under center to try and run out the clock and finish.  That’s when Burton started causing problems with the Carthage QB.  He was beating the center & guards off the snap every play.  Probably should have gone back to the gun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

I agree 100%, we need to enjoy the ride for as long as we can. One day it will end or possibly dwindle some.

SS is a Texas high school football legend and we’ve just been extremely lucky to have him, very lucky.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Yeah both fumbles by the QB including the one he got back was because the Carthage center got blown back like crazy. The D linemen almost beat the ball to the qb. 

On another note, just rewatched the game this morning. Gilmer has the most homer radio team I've ever see in my life. "Legally" holding, referee's given Carthage home cooking although they were not from Carthage and downright unprofessional. They refused to give the Carthage D credit in the first half saying Gilmer just haven't gotten it going yet. Well here's your sign. I wonder why they couldn't get things going?