GILMER AT CARTHAGE

Sportsguru02

GILMER AT CARTHAGE  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

There are things you can do against a normal defense that you just can’t do against the Carthage D. A whole seems open, then it isn’t. A Receiver seems open, when he isn’t.  Plays that would go for 20 yards against a normal defense go for 3 against Carthage.  They are incredibly fast, extremely well disciplined, and shed blocks unbelievably well.  

I know some will say Gilmer was very conservative in their playcalling. I think maybe the Carthage D had a lot to do with that. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

There are things you can do against a normal defense that you just can’t do against the Carthage D. A whole seems open, then it isn’t. A Receiver seems open, when he isn’t.  Plays that would go for 20 yards against a normal defense go for 3 against Carthage.  They are incredibly fast, extremely well disciplined, and shed blocks unbelievably well.  

I know some will say Gilmer was very conservative in their playcalling. I think maybe the Carthage D had a lot to do with that. 

It’s already been said. They weren’t coaching to win. 🙄

Defense showed out. Can’t say enough about how strong that unit is. Will make sure Carthage has a chance in every game.

Offensively, there were some great moments, but they are still not firing on all cylinders. 
Were they going on the same snap count all night under center or does the center have a tell? The tackles for Gilmer were very fast off the ball and disrupted a lot of plays. Gilmers D line played very well.

Good performance in what will probably be the toughest game Carthage plays for several weeks…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

It’s already been said. They weren’t coaching to win. 🙄

I don’t know if that’s 100% true or not. They did not push the ball down the field, that’s for sure. Maybe they saw something on game film that led to those decisions. I do wish they would have gone for it on a couple of occasions in the first half. But if receivers would have held onto the football on some early passes, they would not have had to. I am very proud of how Gilmer played.  They played hard for 4 quarters. And the defense played their hearts out. I would love to see a rematch in December. Maybe then, Gilmer would be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball

2 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

I don’t know if that’s 100% true or not. They did not push the ball down the field, that’s for sure. Maybe they saw something on game film that led to those decisions. I do wish they would have gone for it on a couple of occasions in the first half. But if receivers would have held onto the football on some early passes, they would not have had to. I am very proud of how Gilmer played.  They played hard for 4 quarters. And the defense played their hearts out. I would love to see a rematch in December. Maybe then, Gilmer would be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball

I think it could be from how many interceptions and pick 6 have come over the last 3 games when they throw the ball downfield… 

• Like 2

Carthage D is so fun to watch. Best they have played this year by far. Really thought this game would be closer. Carthage scored about what I thought they would, but I didn’t know they would completely shut down Gilmer like that. Obviously the offense has a lot of work to do.

I thought Gilmer’s D played very good. I was impressed with them on that side of the ball. They have a lot more size then I remember recent Gilmer teams having on the DL and in the defense as a group. They were getting after it tonight. Good luck to the Buckeyes going forward. Maybe Carthage and Gilmer will meet again at the end of the year. Nothing but respect for y’all’s program.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

Defense showed out. Can’t say enough about how strong that unit is. Will make sure Carthage has a chance in every game.

Offensively, there were some great moments, but they are still not firing on all cylinders. 
Were they going on the same snap count all night under center or does the center have a tell? The tackles for Gilmer were very fast off the ball and disrupted a lot of plays. Gilmers D line played very well.

Good performance in what will probably be the toughest game Carthage plays for several weeks…

If they play again in Jerry’s World, there will be at least 3 offsides called in the first half on Gilmer.  Little Belichick will have the refs looking for offsides/in the neutral zone and the offense will work on the hard count as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, house said:

Surratt will be the GOAT in Texas high school football coaching.  Not often you get to witness that first hand.

It still feels like a dream to me that I live in the greatest little town in Texas & get to watch some of the best high school football played Anywhere in America at the level this team does. 
I can still remember leaner times, but I can also still remember December 1991 when the Dawgs came so close to winning it all in the Astrodome against A& M Consolidated. To me, that game showed us Carthage folks that winning it all was a very real possibility, and in some way, the Spark was lit for this City, This County, This TEAM to become the Standard that other teams must measure up to!  
There is no other place I’d rather live.

• Like 4