Longview Lobos (4-1) vs Wylie East Raiders  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Wylie East in a close one
    • Wylie East in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/02/2021 at 12:30 AM

longview.pngwylieeast.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (4-1, 1-0) VS WYLIE EAST RAIDERS (2-2, 0-1)

DATE: Friday, October 1st, 2021
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
WYLIE EAST BROADCAST: n/a
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 1-0-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Wylie East.
The two schools have never played at Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played on October 1st.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
10.30.2020 - Longview 52, Wylie East 17 - Wylie Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
It wasn't pretty by any stretch of the imagination. Two fumbles, 14 penalties and 138 penalty yards all helped plague the Lobos in their district opener against the West Mesquite Wranglers last Thursday. Longview jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead behind two Jalen Hale receiving scores, before the Wranglers fought back to tie the game as the two teams went into the break. It was helped by a poor pitch as the Lobos looked well on their way to a 21-0 lead. That poor pitch turned the game as Javion Jackson returned the fumble 68 yards for the score. In the second half, it was West Mesquite's turn to turn the ball over and have the game switch back to Longview's favor. The Wranglers were driving into Lobo territory when a double reverse pass back across the field was intercepted by Longview's Devean Isaac and returned it 53 yards to the Wrangler 15 yard line. 3 more interceptions later, and 35 points on the board, the Lobos ran away with a 56-28 victory over West Mesquite, winning their 4th straight district opener and moved to 16-2 in district openers under head coach John King. It was a record tying day for the 5-star receiver Jalen Hale, as his three scores tied a school record for receiving scores in a single game. He also moved into sole possession of 3rd place in Longview history for receiving scores in a career...as a junior. He passed former NFL receiver Malcolm Kelly with his three on Thursday night. Next up for the Lobos is a return to Lobo Stadium, following two energy filed victories. Longview takes on Wylie East for the 20th annual Green Out contest, which started back in 2002. The Lobos are 17-2 all-time in Green Out contests since the game began to take place. The Lobos have not lost a Green Out affair since John Tyler knocked the Lobos off in 2014. Longview's only other loss on Green Out night came in 2011 against #1 Allen. In district home opener, John King has coached the Lobos to a perfect 17-0 record, dating back to 2004. Longview last lost their district home opener in 2003, against #9 Tyler Lee, in a game Longview led 14-3 at halftime before falling 18-14. Longview and Wylie East will be meeting for the second time in their histories, with last season's extremely cold October meeting being the first. The Lobos dominated the contest from the get go, rolling to a 52-17 victory. The game was highlighted by a 75-yard kickoff return to open the second half by Jaquaris Cooper. Against Wylie ISD, the Lobos are a perfect 2-0. Longview also met Wylie High in 2015 during Regional Semi-Final round in the Lobos' first ever visit to AT&T Stadium in Arlington. 123 yards of penalties plagued the Lobos that day, but Longview was still able to walk away with a 35-14 victory. Longview enters (new) Lobo Stadium for 243rd time this Friday, dating back to 1976. The Lobos will be looking for their 199th victory all-time at their home stadium, having won the four games there. Longview, overall, has won 25 of their last 26 games at home and are a peachy 79-6 at home under head coach John King. Longview is an even better 48-2 in district contests under John King, with a 2016 loss to John Tyler and a 2020 loss to Highland Park keeping them from being perfect. For Wylie East, this will be the second longest road trip in school history. In 2016, Wylie East made the trip to play at Hallsville, defeating the Bobcats 49-0. Rain is expected Friday night, so make sure you bring your rain gear to Lobo.

WEEK FIVE RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Longview 56 West Mesquite 28
McKinney North 18 Tyler 35
Sherman 38 Wylie East 17
Highland Park - OFF

WEEK SIX 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Highland Park at Sherman
McKinney North at West Mesquite
Wylie East at Longview
Tyler - OFF

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Longview (4-1, 1-0)
2nd. Sherman (3-2, 1-0)
3rd. Tyler (3-2, 1-0)
4th. Highland Park (3-1, 0-0)
5th. Wylie East (2-2, 0-1)
6th. West Mesquite (2-3, 0-1)
7th. McKinney North (1-4, 0-1)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last game - Cleveland fell to Magnolia 37-12, College Station defeated New Caney 35-6, Conroe Caney Creek fell to Magnolia West 42-6, Lufkin defeated New Caney Porter 38-28, Waller was off.
This week - Magnolia hosts Conroe Caney Creek, Magnolia hosts Waller, New Caney hosts Lufkin, New Caney Porter hosts Cleveland, College Station is off.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 4-1 (1-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (192-41 in 18 seasons) (Playoffs: 43-16)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 751-352-52 (Playoffs: 72-43-1)
Playoff Appearances: 46
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Denton Ryan (in Frisco) - Loss 40-7
09.03 - vs Marshall - Win 14-0
09.10 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 46-20
09.17 - vs Bryant, AR - Win 24-21
09.23 - at West Mesquite - Win 56-28
10.01 - vs Wylie East
10.08 - at Highland Park
10.15 - vs Sherman
10.28 - at McKinney North
11.05 - vs Tyler

WYLIE EAST RAIDERS
Record: 2-2 (0-1)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: Marcus Gold (2-2 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 2007
All-Time Record: 57-65-0 (Playoffs: 5-5)
Playoff Appearances: 5
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 5A Division II Regional Round
State Championships (0): n/a
State Championship Appearances (0): n/a
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - vs Mount Pleasant - Win 19-14
09.03 - vs Irving Nimitz - Win 29-28
09.10 - at Royse City - Loss 28-20
09.24 - vs Sherman - Loss 38-17
10.01 - at Longview
10.08 - vs McKinney North
10.15 - at Tyler
10.21 - vs West Mesquite
10.28 - at Paris
11.05 - at Highland Park

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 1st
In 1926, Longview led 12-0 after the first quarter before the Lions ran off 32 points to defeated Longview, 32-19, at Fair Park in Tyler.
In 1937, Ray Cantrell hauled in a 15-yard pass for a score in the first quarter and Dick Miller ran in from 25 yards out in the 4th as Longview knocked off Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson, 12-6, at Yellowjacket Stadium.
In 1943, the Lobos tallied 14 points in the 1st quarter and 27 points in the 2nd to push Longview to a 53-3 win over Mineola at Lobo Stadium.
In 1948, Longview overcame a 13-0 deficit, thanks in part to a 70 yard interception return by Fox Cashell in the 2nd quarter as Longview battled Cleburne to a 20-20 tie at Lobo Stadium. John Linney and Tom Kent added scores for the Lobos.
In 1954, Tony Rothrock scored three times, Roy Taylor rushed in from 55 yards out and the Lobo defense forced a safety as Longview defeated Temple 27-21 at Woodson Field in Temple.
In 1965, Woodrow Wilson handed Longview the 4th worst home loss in their history, rolling past the Lobos 48-6, proving their #1 ranking in the state was legit. Cecil Newton was the only Lobo player to tally on the day, as 6 Lobo fumbles derailed the offense.
In 1971, Jeb Blount rushed in from a yard out in the first quarter before he kicked a 29-yard field goal midway through the 4th quarter to defeat Marshall, 10-7, at Maverick Stadium.
In 1976, Dinky Edwards tallied twice, Tim Martin rushed in from 21 yards out and John Henry Jones rushed in from 15 yards out as Longview rushed for 337 yards, holding Nacogdoches to 117 total yards, in a 28-0 win at Dragon Stadium.
In 1982, Fred Hunter rushed in from 10 yards out before Steve Blaschke kicked a 23-yard field goal with 25 seconds left in the game to lift Longview to a 10-7 win over Texas High at Lobo Stadium.
In 1993, Darren Danielson kicked a 35-yard field goal and Cory Hutchings rushed in from a yard out but a goal line stand after having first and goal at the five yard line punished the Lobos as #10 Ruston walked out of Lobo Stadium with a 14-9 victory.
In 1999, Ruston’s Reggie Maxwell rushed for three scores while Jack Hunter tallied three times himself as the Bearcats hauled Longview one of their worst losses in the modern era, 51-18, at James Field in Ruston. The Bearcats rushed for 334 yards on the day.
In 2004, Vondrell McGee rushed for four scores and rushed for 269-yards on the day as Longview rolled over Mesquite Horn, 42-14, at EH Hanby Stadium in a rain delayed game. Overall, the Lobos rushed for 382 yards on a cold, rainy night in Mesquite.

lobohowl2.GIF
  • Thanks 1

I predicted "close win" because it depends on which Lobo offense shows up...  if it's the big play offense that rolled up half-a-hunnerd against Tyler Lee and West Mesquite, then yes: Lobo blowout.

But if we don't clean up the silly penalties and momentum-killing turnovers, Wylie East will mess around and steal this one from us. 

The o-line has improved each week, so that's encouraging. Glad to have Clodhopper back as well, he's a big body who plays with his heart. The defense continues to play lights out, just need to tighten up the back end. 

Longview wins 44-18.

54 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

What are the odds Hale be alone at #1 career tds after next weeks game be nice to break it at home

I mean, it has to be a good chance, at the very least to tie it.

Kamden Perry had 23 receiving scores from 2016 to 2018.
Jayln Brown had 22 receiving scores from 2016 to 2017.

Jalen Hale sits at 21 receiving scores from 2019 to present (with an entire senior season still to play).

I'm not going to predict three receiving scores again, but again, that's literally only ever happened 10 times in our ENTIRE history (with Hale's 3 on Thursday being the 10th). But Wylie East does not having the speed on defense for sure to cover him. I think it's crazy to leave him 1v1 like West continued to try and do for whatever reason.

I can definitely see him tying Kamden on Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Jalen Hale sits at 21 receiving scores from 2019 to present (with an entire senior season still to play).

I'm not going to predict three receiving scores again, but again, that's literally only ever happened 10 times in our ENTIRE history (with Hale's 3 on Thursday being the 10th). But Wylie East does not having the speed on defense for sure to cover him. I think it's crazy to leave him 1v1 like West continued to try and do for whatever reason.

Then break it vs hp 🐺😎

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

All this 1v1 coverage on Hale is a direct result of opposing coaches knowing that more times than not the QBs won’t be able to get the ball to him

• Like 1

Watching Wylie East against Sherman....man East is going to struggle against Longview's defense. 

TJ Washington is a stud but the offense as a whole lacks identity. And the passing attack is non existent....which isn't good when you're a spread team.

• Stinks 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Never understood talking smack over 7 on 7. We play 11 on 11... And beat them 52-17 last year, and it could've been worse. 

Yeah, might as well talk smack about your FFA teams...  which, for the record, our FFA team would kick their FFA's team's ###. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Never understood talking smack over 7 on 7. We play 11 on 11... And beat them 52-17 last year, and it could've been worse. 

Also, awesome win for your Mustangs this weekend. 

I get it. They were excited to go to state and to beat us. Hot, muggy day. But yea, it was a lotttt of #### talking. I thought @LOBOFAN84was gonna lose it on em 😂

And thank ya good sir! I was pretty amped Saturday going into Sunday. Usually when we beat the Froggies it’s because of a couple trick plays and just barely holding on defensively. But Saturday, man, felt like I was watching Longview’s running game out there.  

18 hours ago, gtee2 said:

Knowing her like I do... @LOBOFAN84 prolly started some 🐂🐃💩...🤷🏾‍♂️🏌🏿‍♂️😆

Ya'll have no confidence in my ability to control myself in some situations. I may catch a complex one day! Probably not, though. 😇 😂  And all I said to our boys that day, was to remember all this mouthing when WE comes to Lobo with pads on. That was my input. SMH!

GO LOBOS!!

• LOL! 3