Pleasant Grove @ Carthage

HearEmaGrowlin

1 hour ago, JETT said:

Witnessed #5 kip for first time in person Friday night and man that young man plays with fire, talk about electric...defense is very good

He's definitely one of those kids/athletes that you need to watch if you get the chance.

Dwight Smith was another one for Carthage that was like that. For those that saw him, you know what I mean. He was different. Kip Lewis is different.

Kyler Murray was that for Allen in his time. You just had to see him to believe it.

The Brothers Shipley were like that (Jordan at Burnet, and then Jaxson at Brownwood) too. Both so electric to watch.

Terrius Purvey at Gainesville in 2003 was stupid good, leading them to the state championship.

Quan Cosby at Mart is another one. Fastest kid I've ever seen play football. You literally held your breath when he had the football in his hands (and even when he was on defense), because he might change the game right then and there.

Anyway, that's my long winded way of saying, if you get the chance to watch Kip Lewis play high school football, don't miss out.

• Like 2

Just remember  Pleasant Grove starting 9-10 sophomores and lost an incredibly talented qb week 1. This is a well coached group that Carthage should beat easily. The future is really bright for PG, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a good game Friday night. 

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

He's definitely one of those kids/athletes that you need to watch if you get the chance.

Dwight Smith was another one for Carthage that was like that. For those that saw him, you know what I mean. He was different. Kip Lewis is different.

Kyler Murray was that for Allen in his time. You just had to see him to believe it.

The Brothers Shipley were like that (Jordan at Burnet, and then Jaxson at Brownwood) too. Both so electric to watch.

Terrius Purvey at Gainesville in 2003 was stupid good, leading them to the state championship.

Quan Cosby at Mart is another one. Fastest kid I've ever seen play football. You literally held your breath when he had the football in his hands (and even when he was on defense), because he might change the game right then and there.

Anyway, that's my long winded way of saying, if you get the chance to watch Kip Lewis play high school football, don't miss out.

I'm going to look up some video of those you mentioned

13 hours ago, Texlov said:

Just remember  Pleasant Grove starting 9-10 sophomores and lost an incredibly talented qb week 1. This is a well coached group that Carthage should beat easily. The future is really bright for PG, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a good game Friday night. 

I agree that the future will be bright for PG.  But why would you ever think this game would be good?  PG’s offense plays into Carthage strength on D.  They are excellent at stopping the run.    This game will be over by halftime.

14 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Dwight Smith was Lightning in a bottle!⚡⚡⚡

Guess Carthage fans will always talk about what could have been with Dwight Smith.  We all looked forward to watching him on Saturday and probably Sunday.  Rare talent of brute power and exceptional speed.  He was as good as there ever was at the high school running back position in my opinion.  Shame he chose not to commit himself.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, house said:

Guess Carthage fans will always talk about what could have been with Dwight Smith.  We all looked forward to watching him on Saturday and probably Sunday.  Rare talent of brute power and exceptional speed.  He was as good as there ever was at the high school running back position in my opinion.  Shame he chose not to commit himself.   

Definitely the best HS athlete I've ever seen at that position. Maybe the best I've ever seen, period. Only Quan and MAYBE Kyler would be in the conversation, for me.

Unfortunately, it's not as black-and-white as committing to yourself. That's just a small piece of it. Lots of other variables that make the path harder for some than others. We'll never get to know what he could have been at the next levels. But it's still worth celebrating what he was, and remembering that ... even for me as a Celina fan, remembering him having his way in the 2008 state title game ... it was something special to watch.

• Like 3

My intent was not to criticize the young man in any way.  I don't really know too much about him after high school and i'm hopeful he is doing well.  I just feel like if he was interested in committing to football he would have been very successful.  

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

Man, I really hope this is a good game.  I can't believe PG has fallen off bad enough for it not to be a contest.  Carthage really needs another good opponent, because the district doesn't look too tough outside of possibly Rusk.

They could prove me wrong when the time comes, but I’ve watched a little bit of some Rusk games and I’m just not seeing it…. 

On 9/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, d0tc0m said:

Agree 100%. Surratt has had a ton of great players. Kip might be the 2nd best player to play under Surratt at Carthage behind Dwight Smith IMO. Kip is an awesome young man and has the support structure in place to have a great college career and hopefully play on Sundays. I think Oklahoma is a good place for young ETX kids to go (even though I can’t stand them). It has a small town feel and should be an easy adjustment from Carthage to Norman. It was a really smart decision to commit to the Sooners IMO. Kip is really a perfect defender in the new age of spread offense. He plays very well in space. Probably the fastest defender I’ve seen play in HS in person. He is so fun to watch play football. Kip and Tee Goree are probably the 2 funnest kids I have seen play at Carthage. They are hyped up every time they make a play. Not showboating, but just a sincere love of the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Definitely the best HS athlete I've ever seen at that position. Maybe the best I've ever seen, period. Only Quan and MAYBE Kyler would be in the conversation, for me.

Unfortunately, it's not as black-and-white as committing to yourself. That's just a small piece of it. Lots of other variables that make the path harder for some than others. We'll never get to know what he could have been at the next levels. But it's still worth celebrating what he was, and remembering that ... even for me as a Celina fan, remembering him having his way in the 2008 state title game ... it was something special to watch.

GREAT post, Dwight Smith was a phenom in the truest sense of the word. Dwight was thunder and lightning, quickness, speed, power and brute force all wrapped into one; he was Tony Dorsett and Earl Campbell all at the same time, a freak of nature God created for His own enjoyment. 
I’m just thrilled he was a Carthage Bulldog for a short time and mesmerized us all, what a stud!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Agree 100%. Surratt has had a ton of great players. Kip might be the 2nd best player to play under Surratt at Carthage behind Dwight Smith IMO. Kip is an awesome young man and has the support structure in place to have a great college career and hopefully play on Sundays. I think Oklahoma is a good place for young ETX kids to go (even though I can’t stand them). It has a small town feel and should be an easy adjustment from Carthage to Norman. It was a really smart decision to commit to the Sooners IMO. Kip is really a perfect defender in the new age of spread offense. He plays very well in space. Probably the fastest defender I’ve seen play in HS in person. He is so fun to watch play football. Kip and Tee Goree are probably the 2 funnest kids I have seen play at Carthage. They are hyped up every time they make a play. Not showboating, but just a sincere love of the game.

👍❗❗

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Man, I really hope this is a good game.  I can't believe PG has fallen off bad enough for it not to be a contest.  Carthage really needs another good opponent, because the district doesn't look too tough outside of possibly Rusk.

Rusk has blown everyone out. Their QB has thrown for I believe 1100 yards in three ball games. 
I don’t know if they can give the Dawgs a game but the potential is there. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

GREAT post, Dwight Smith was a phenom in the truest sense of the word. Dwight was thunder and lightning, quickness, speed, power and brute force all wrapped into one; he was Tony Dorsett and Earl Campbell all at the same time, a freak of nature God created for His own enjoyment. 
I’m just thrilled he was a Carthage Bulldog for a short time and mesmerized us all, what a stud!

There were two NFL players at a camp he went to that were quoted as saying, he is the only high school running back that they have ever seen that could play in the pros right now. 
I truly believe he would have been at Carthage is junior year, the Dawgs would have won the 2007 state championship. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

There were two NFL players at a camp he went to that were quoted as saying, he is the only high school running back that they have ever seen that could play in the pros right now. 
I truly believe he would have been at Carthage is junior year, the Dawgs would have won the 2007 state championship. 

I am n 100% agreement with you and I am not as homer, errr, confident as you in general about our Bulldogs. However, I am supremely confident in the Bulldogs, SS and staff. 

3 hours ago, JBizzle said:

PG only returned a total of 3 out of 22 starters.  Their QB1 from last year moved back to Hooks.  Their QB1 from this year (who was a freshman last year and is a phenomenal athlete) broke his arm in the 1st game of the year.  QB2 is a true freshman.  They have a lot of future D1 players on their roster, but they are young and inexperienced.  They will be no match for Carthage this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

PG only returned a total of 3 out of 22 starters.  Their QB1 from last year moved back to Hooks.  Their QB1 from this year (who was a freshman last year and is a phenomenal athlete) broke his arm in the 1st game of the year.  QB2 is a true freshman.  They have a lot of future D1 players on their roster, but they are young and inexperienced.  They will be no match for Carthage this year.

Totally understand, they’re experiencing some growing pains and got hit by some old fashioned bad luck.

PG will be back to their normal elite status soon.