Pleasant Grove @ Carthage

HearEmaGrowlin

9 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I just looked who they have played. 
Fairfield, Crockett, Bullard, and Brownsborro. 
Now I know why they are undefeated and have so many passing yards. 
Palestine was the only team they did not blow out. 

Maybe Ol’ Grady will snatch a couple more pics against Rusk’s QB....😜

18 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Man, I really hope this is a good game.  I can't believe PG has fallen off bad enough for it not to be a contest.  Carthage really needs another good opponent, because the district doesn't look too tough outside of possibly Rusk.

Rusk’s next game is a week from Friday at Jasper. We should all know at the end of that night who CHS’s toughest district opponent this year is.

• Like 2

Anxious to watch the new qb Cuff get his timing down better with his receivers in game situations.  Crazy they are able to win while still rebuilding an offense.  I think Carthage has more growth potential than Gilmer so barring a lot of mistakes, I don't see them stopping the Dawgs.  If anyone has any info on any of the other contenders in this classification would like to hear what you know.  

43 minutes ago, house said:

Crazy they are able to win while still rebuilding an offense. 

I agree and would inert between “win” and “while” the following: “against probably the three toughest opponents on their regular-season schedule.”

Crosby could well be the Bulldogs’ toughest opponent all season.

1 hour ago, BevBrownJr said:

I agree and would inert between “win” and “while” the following: “against probably the three toughest opponents on their regular-season schedule.”

Crosby could well be the Bulldogs’ toughest opponent all season.

agree. Someone mentioned a while back gilmer had the athletes Crosby does...idk but if that’s the case I guess we would have to give coaching to Crosby. Dawgs will be a lot better than they are rn when it’s over and already than first game of the year . don’t think anyone will come close to beating them this year from here on out. Maybe some close halftime scores but that’s about it

• Like 1

Y’all do know Carthage offense only scored 21 points and they really benefited from having two weeks to prepare. I’m not saying we would have won but that’s a big plus, the kids said they were yelling out the plays before it was happening. That’s great coaching and preparation that u normally wouldn’t have time for in a week.

Just now, Sportsguru02 said:

Y’all do know Carthage offense only scored 21 points and they really benefited from having two weeks to prepare. I’m not saying we would have won but that’s a big plus, the kids said they were yelling out the plays before it was happening. That’s great coaching and preparation that u normally wouldn’t have time for in a week.

And Carthage offense scored 21 points while not getting out of their own way every time they had the ball.

We have heard this twice now, comments about Carthage having extra time to prepare and that making such a huge difference.  Did they have extra time to prepare to execute the 70-14 championship game blowout?  

With as many young, new starters as Carthage has, I'd be willing to bet they'd have rather had the game experience and repetitions versus another good opponent than an extra week to prepare for a Gilmer team they have shown they can beat handily (70-14, without extra prep time)

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that the being able to recognize plays and call them out thing isn't completely normal, 2 weeks of prep or not, with this coaching staff and program. 

I'm not even trying to diss or slam Gilmer as I still think they are great and probably still the #2 team in the division even, just kinda tired of hearing the extra week thing, as if that was a difference maker.  Going back however many meetings now, has it mattered? No. It's been worse without it.   

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I’m not saying we would have won but that’s a big plus, the kids said they were yelling out the plays before it was happening. That’s great coaching and preparation that u normally wouldn’t have time for in a week.

That’s some of it. Coaching definitely a factor. The time to prepare will help, but it’s also the same kids playing a team that they played twice last year that has the same QB. That was the 3rd time Carthage’s 2 Sr. LB have played basically the same offense. Kip gets all the love and for good reason, but Camden Foster #6 is as good as there is in ETX besides Lewis. Not to mention all the other SR position players on the Carthage D. Up to this point nothing has shown us that this D won’t shut down Gilmer every time they play. So even if Carthage only scores 21 points, that’s enough against what most believe is the 2nd best team in the state.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

And Carthage offense scored 21 points while not getting out of their own way every time they had the ball.

We have heard this twice now, comments about Carthage having extra time to prepare and that making such a huge difference.  Did they have extra time to prepare to execute the 70-14 championship game blowout?  

With as many young, new starters as Carthage has, I'd be willing to bet they'd have rather had the game experience and repetitions versus another good opponent than an extra week to prepare for a Gilmer team they have shown they can beat handily (70-14, without extra prep time)

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that the being able to recognize plays and call them out thing isn't completely normal, 2 weeks of prep or not, with this coaching staff and program. 

I'm not even trying to diss or slam Gilmer as I still think they are great and probably still the #2 team in the division even, just kinda tired of hearing the extra week thing, as if that was a difference maker.  Going back however many meetings now, has it mattered? No. It's been worse without it.   

A lot of the mishaps were caused except for the one snap that was over backup QB but the others we because the D-line penetration. If you go back and watch every time QB1 mishandled the snap it was forced.

37 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I was at the game and Carthage easily could have scored 70. I mean they dominated the line of scrimmage and your QB was running for his life. Y’all could have been spotted some points and had all year to prepare and Carthage still wins. No shame in it. Carthage wasn’t even playing great offensively but they had more first downs than Gilmer had passing yards at halftime.  I believe Gilmer had like 42 yards total. 

Their D dominated without a doubt but they couldn’t of scored 70

2 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

So they just didn’t score because they didn’t want to Or because our defense stepped up and made stops 

Gilmer’s Defense played their butts off & stopped many drives by Carthage that kept the game as close as they could. Late in the game, the Bucs Offense began to make some headway, which gave many of us Carthage fans some concern. Fortunately, it came late & the Pic 6 was the nail in Gilmer’s coffin.

2 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Gilmer had 17 total yards and one first down until midway through the third quarter.

The Dawg D has scored in every game they have played. It takes both offense and defense to win.

Gilmer never had a chance in this game. I have watched the game twice, the defense was in the backfield at the same time the tailbacks were getting the ball. The Gilmer QB was running for his life on every play but two and the receivers were covered like a blanket.

The Gilmer D played a heck of a game and did put pressure on the Dawg QB, but they did not make him drop the ball or fall down 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage or drop the ball and kick it towards the Gilmer end of the field.

The Dawgs were driving down the field on every one of those mishaps.

A lot of the mishaps were caused except for the one snap that was over backup QB but the others we because the D-line penetration. If you go back and watch every time QB1 mishandled the snap it was forced.

And if Carthage had played 4 games like Gilmer instead of 2 games, do you believe Carthage’s offensive line would have been better ???

On 9/29/2021 at 9:21 AM, BevBrownJr said:

Rusk’s next game is a week from Friday at Jasper. We should all know at the end of that night who CHS’s toughest district opponent this year is.

I think most people are waiting for that game to decide if Rusk is “for real”. I will admit going 5-0 with this schedule does not mean much. I don’t think the game with Jasper will be an indication either except for the fact they are highly regarded by most folks. We will need to be competitive against Carthage if we want to be taken seriously. I will say right now regardless of the outcome we won’t be out coached. Coach Surratt is the best HS coach in the business and he has the rings to back it up but Carthage will not face another coaching staff better than Rusk. Coach Sitton is a defensive guru and our DC, Coach Ramsey, is unbelievable (he will be a big name in the near future). There is not a HS staff anywhere with better  Offensive Coaches. Coach Harper would be a head coach upgrade at 90% of the schools in Texas and he turned down several offers this summer to stay. Coach (Josh) McCown will be coaching in the NFL once his kids are out of school. We brought in a young guy, Nick Smith, to coach the O-line and he is a flat out Hoss. We will have a good plan and be prepared but the kids will have to execute and like Mike Tyson said once “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” Like I always say “to be the man you got to beat the man.” I’m glad we get the opportunity that most won’t get and even more don’t want. 

• Like 1

I'm not saying EVERY mishap was Carthage's own fault, I know in particular Burton was playing like a MAN and causing all kinds of Havoc.   

But there were a few that were no one's fault but their own.  

3 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

That can be said about our drops and missed blocks 

Yea I mentioned the drops by Gilmer receivers on the game thread.  I'm sure they'd have liked to have those back. 

Drops and missed blocks happen to every team in every game.  The QB falling down, losing 15 yards without being touched does not.  And when the QB just drops the snap, that's on him, not on Gilmer.  

I'll say it again, Gilmer defense played well, but it could have and should have been worse.  I don't think the gap is closed as much as I'd also like to believe if I were a Gilmer fan.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RickyTheNatureBoyFlair said:

I think most people are waiting for that game to decide if Rusk is “for real”. I will admit going 5-0 with this schedule does not mean much. I don’t think the game with Jasper will be an indication either except for the fact they are highly regarded by most folks. We will need to be competitive against Carthage if we want to be taken seriously. I will say right now regardless of the outcome we won’t be out coached. Coach Surratt is the best HS coach in the business and he has the rings to back it up but Carthage will not face another coaching staff better than Rusk. Coach Sitton is a defensive guru and our DC, Coach Ramsey, is unbelievable (he will be a big name in the near future). There is not a HS staff anywhere with better  Offensive Coaches. Coach Harper would be a head coach upgrade at 90% of the schools in Texas and he turned down several offers this summer to stay. Coach (Josh) McCown will be coaching in the NFL once his kids are out of school. We brought in a young guy, Nick Smith, to coach the O-line and he is a flat out Hoss. We will have a good plan and be prepared but the kids will have to execute and like Mike Tyson said once “everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” Like I always say “to be the man you got to beat the man.” I’m glad we get the opportunity that most won’t get and even more don’t want. 

Good post, Rusk Man, I like the confidence and am glad the Dawgs will have another good opponent.