#1 #Argyle(4-0) @ #8 Melissa(3-2)

regaleagle

Argyle will travel to Melissa this Friday for a very big matchup in District 4A-7 D-1.  Melissa began the season highly ranked in the Top Ten, but lost to Celina(4-1) 34-13 and then to Frisco Memorial(4-1) 58-35.  The Cardinals have rebounded and put the whack attack on their next 3 opponents.....Dallas Carter(3-1) 60-7, then a ranked Midlothian Heritage(4-1) by a score of 48-28, and then last week again whacking ranked Paris(2-2) 48-17.  So after faltering a little to start their season off against two really good teams......looks like the Cardinals have earned their way back into the 4A-D1 rankings this week the old-fashioned way with whack attack wins over previously ranked opponents.  Argyle better show up ready for this week's version of the Melissa Cardinals offensive juggernaut.  Each week they keep getting more impressive on offense.....and now their D looks impressive too!  There is no question the Cardinals have talented players out the ying-yang......just watch their Livestreams against Heritage and Paris and see for yourself.  Then take a gander at their roster just to get the real numbers of what they have.  Lots of depth like Argyle too.  

The Cardinals match up with Argyle with size on the lines, too.  In fact......Melissa has more than just a couple of guys that have offers from D-1 schools, and some aren't even but sophs. and juniors!  Not only do the Cardinals have lots of size on both sides of the ball, but also lots of speed......they definitely have some speedsters at the skill positions and some very tall receivers.  Some of these tall guys are in their 2nd full season on varsity!  And I mean TALL......not kinda tall. And with excellent hands and good speed.  They know how to find the seams and beat you to the ball.  Their real deal is their QB Sam Fennegan(6-1/185/Sr).......he's the reason the offense is what it is.  Everthing goes thru Fennegan.......he's a field general out there and has all the tools a topnotch QB needs to take a team all the way.

Meanwhile......poor ol' Argyle is still trying to develop its first-year newbie QB Jacob Robinson(6-1/180/Jr).  He never took a snap at this position before this year, but does possess a huge upside with all the tools he brings to the table.  Still in the development stages, it will be interesting to see how far along Robinson has come in the two weeks since his last game.  The center for Argyle is a big concern also......lots of high snaps and low snaps this season that is throwing off the timing for the QB and RB's on Argyle's offensive plays.  It really showed against a very good defense like La Vega two weeks ago......and Celina as well.  So that will be a big deal to watch for also in this game this week.

Of course Melissa has tons of resources......so they will have the Livestream of this game, no problemo.  In fact......they have an excellent broadcast team and do an excellent job on their Livestreams.  They even did a Livestream last week in Paris because Paris did not have a Livestream of the game.

Just watching as many games of the Top-tier teams in 4A as I can each week on Youtube Livestreams......sooner or later......I must admit that I am very very impressed with Melissa's football team this season overall.  But the Cardinals just might have the very best QB in 4A this season......he's just very impressive and reminds me alot of Bo Hogeboom a couple of years ago for Argyle.  He's got that size and athleticism, but runs much better.  His vision of the field is excellent, and he has a very quick release. He's able to buy time back there and throws on the run very accurately and with very good arm strength.  He can launch one very deep and right on the money in tight coverages as well.  Like I say......he's just very impressive at the QB position.  I have not seen a QB in 4A this season that looks as impressive as Fennegan does.....even though some are better runners and throw well too.  Fennegan will make you pay, and he's also a very good runner with surprising speed, moves, and lots of strength. He's a complete package for Melissa at QB this season, for sure.  It will be tough to get pressure on him Friday night......he knows how to solve the "would-be" problems at QB.....and at least limit the mistakes.

9 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Just watching as many games of the Top-tier teams in 4A as I can each week on Youtube Livestreams......sooner or later......I must admit that I am very very impressed with Melissa's football team this season overall.  But the Cardinals just might have the very best QB in 4A this season......he's just very impressive and reminds me alot of Bo Hogeboom a couple of years ago for Argyle.  He's got that size and athleticism, but runs much better.  His vision of the field is excellent, and he has a very quick release. He's able to buy time back there and throws on the run very accurately and with very good arm strength.  He can launch one very deep and right on the money in tight coverages as well.  Like I say......he's just very impressive at the QB position.  I have not seen a QB in 4A this season that looks as impressive as Fennegan does.....even though some are better runners and throw well too.  Fennegan will make you pay, and he's also a very good runner with surprising speed, moves, and lots of strength. He's a complete package for Melissa at QB this season, for sure.  It will be tough to get pressure on him Friday night......he knows how to solve the "would-be" problems at QB.....and at least limit the mistakes.

Argyle wins

I sure am hoping so, C&C......but it's just not that cut and dry.  Melissa has a better offense overall than Argyle does, and Argyle has a better defense.  But this Cardinals team just keeps coming at you the whole game......and their defense is greatly improved over last year's team.  They have taken the talent they have and put together a very impressive team.  If Argyle cannot get to Fennegan and disrupt their offensive attack, the Eagles will be trying to play catch-up to a team that has a better offense.......that's not a very favorable position to be in.

You can forget about the first two games of the season Melissa played compared to how their team is hitting on all cylinders now.  Everybody on the team is just itching to play.......they've got so many good players.  Giving guys "breathers" all thru the game is no problemo for Melissa.......just like Argyle.......they don't lose a beat!  The best Argyle can hope for is to make Melissa play one-dimensional by completely shutting down their running attack, then gearing up against their passing attack.

Just now, regaleagle said:

You can forget about the first two games of the season Melissa played compared to how their team is hitting on all cylinders now.  Everybody on the team is just itching to play.......they've got so many good players.  Giving guys "breathers" all thru the game is no problemo for Melissa.......just like Argyle.......they don't lose a beat!  The best Argyle can hope for is to make Melissa play one-dimensional by completely shutting down their running attack, then gearing up against their passing attack.

But when you do that.......you take a big chance of leaving some wide-open holes and they do have some speedy backs that can take it to the house if they break into the 2nd level.

One thing that definitely favors Argyle this week is that Coach Rodgers and his staff will have had two weeks to make adjustments to the offense and to prepare for the Melissa attack.  Meanwhile, Melissa is gaining momentum by playing football EVERY week with no shortage of quality players to plug-in if one has to sit out.  Their main cog is Fennegan.......and he cannot wait to get on the field against Argyle this week. He has not been physically beat up or challenged since early in the season when Melissa's lines were not up to snuff yet......but now they are.  He's getting the time and protection he needs now.......it doesn't take him long to figure out what to do with the ball.

7 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

There is being complementary of another team then there is Regaleagle.    After reading what you have to say Argyle might as well forfeit geez.  You must be giving an awful lot of credit to beating Hertiage and Paris.  Argyle has the much better wins this year and it ain’t even that close.

Argyle by 21

I think I have a pretty good take on things........I've taken the time to do an in-depth analysis of each team's strengths vs weaknesses at this juncture.......not discounting how much better Argyle might improve since their Bye Week and with their coaching staff steering the ship......so to speak.  But better to err on the side of caution with this information than to completely ignore it simply  because I want Argyle to win.

One of Argyle's top offensive lineman(probably the best on the team) Sheridan Wilson(6-4/275/Sr/T) sat out against La Vega and was in shorts on the sideline.  Not sure about his football health, but the O-line loses alot without him in there.  Also have one of our very talented LB's out with an injury from the LV game.....Hudson Emeterio(6-2/180/Soph/LB).......he's young but very athletic and a ball hawk.  Luckily, Sheridan will have had 3 weeks to recoup and Hudson 2 weeks......if that makes a difference.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:38 PM, regaleagle said:

One of Argyle's top offensive lineman(probably the best on the team) Sheridan Wilson(6-4/275/Sr/T) sat out against La Vega and was in shorts on the sideline.  Not sure about his football health, but the O-line loses alot without him in there.  Also have one of our very talented LB's out with an injury from the LV game.....Hudson Emeterio(6-2/180/Soph/LB).......he's young but very athletic and a ball hawk.

Edited by CrankyOldMan

1 minute ago, Footballalltheway said:

Pretty sure I heard one of Melissa’s starting receivers tore his ACL.  #0  I think.  

Oh Wow.......that's one of their young promising guys that has the scouts all over him.....Kennedy Brantley(6-4/195/Soph/WR).  I watched that guy in amazement......he has athleticism just dripping off his shoulders,  without question!

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Oh Wow.......that's one of their young promising guys that has the scouts all over him.....Kennedy Brantley(6-4/195/Soph/WR).  I watched that guy in amazement......he has athleticism just dripping off his shoulders,  without question!

But no problem for Melissa......they can just plug in another guy......like Bryson Nealy(6-3/219/Sr/WR)......he played all of last season too.  Then there's Matthew Sanford(6-3/180/Sr/WR) or Chris Moton(6-4/175/Sr/WR). They have more......but can only send out about 5 at a time, LOL.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:48 PM, regaleagle said:

Edited by CrankyOldMan

On 9/27/2021 at 7:55 PM, regaleagle said:

But no problem for Melissa......they can just plug in another guy......like Bryson Nealy(6-3/219/Sr/WR)......he played all of last season too.  Then there's Matthew Sanford(6-3/180/Sr/WR) or Chris Moton(6-4/175/Sr/WR). They have more......but can only send out about 5 at a time, LOL.

Edited by CrankyOldMan

He has potential but #4 is the best receiver by far.  His brother was the best player on team last year at RB in my opinion.  He was coming off a broken arm last year before Argyle so he wasn’t a 100%.  Argyle’s scheme defensively though has a tendency to shut down Melissa’s pass game.  They seem to me to play tight coverage and bring pressure.  Melissa’s QB struggle tremendously last year against that scheme.  

Oh Yeah.....#4 Jayvon Smith(5-9/165/Jr/WR) is most definitely the play-maker and speedster on the team......without any doubt.  Wherever they put him.....Argyle will have to keep tabs on Smith for sure.  He's a game-changer and can take it to the house at anytime.

Neely ain’t that type of receiver.  He is more of a tight end and from what I can tell he seems to lost his starting job to a sophomore.  Sanford already starts on one side, never heard of Moton.  Must be a move in.  

Doesn't really matter.......if they lose one, they have somebody else to plug in that is a threat.  That's all that counts......sometimes playing time can be deceptive.  I saw Nealy play last season.......he ain't no 2nd teamer on most teams that throw.   And as far as last season with Fennegan.......that was LAST SEASON.  He's a much better QB back there THIS SEASON.......and has a better line to protect him to boot!!  So that's what really matters now.......not what was but what is.

52 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

The Eagles will roll

Argyle 35

Melissa 14

IF Argyle can hold this juggernaut offensive attack from Melissa to a measley 14 points, then not only will I be in football heaven, but also eat my complimentary words about the Cardinals offensive prowess.......including QB Fennegan.  I would place a bet that Melissa will score at least 14 points in just the first half, and perhaps 14-21 more in the 2nd half.......even against a defense as good as Argyle has this season. That's just what I think about the scoring potential Melissa has this season on offense. Now if Fennegan goes out for some reason........then all bets are off.  He's the key that unlocks their offensive capabilities.