#1 #Argyle(4-0) @ #8 Melissa(3-2)

regaleagle

11 minutes ago, SDCAVEMAN said:

La Vega and Celina exposed Argyle's offensive line and lack of a QB.  There will be no state title this year.

Great defense can win a State Championship.......without debate.  All Argyle needs is time for Robinson to be better and improved.  Melissa caught Argyle early in district play.......he'll be improved by playoff time.  The rest of the team will have to keep playing and helping Robinson to gain confidence and experience.  Melissa won, but even their offense which has all kinds of talented guys and a very top QB did not look that good against this Argyle D.  Argyle can still win the Region and make it to Jerryworld......they've done it before with lesser teams.

Hard to overcome 4 or maybe it was 5 turnovers.....some of them inside your opponent's 10 yd line.  Argyle forced Melissa to punt at least 7 times, but could not get anything going their way tonight.  Melissa's D looked good, but with Argyle down it was much easier to tee off on Robinson and bring the house......outnumber the linemen and force him into mistakes.  Argyle receivers did drop a couple of long throws they normally come down with......and some of Robinson's throws were good and on the money.  But Argyle never scored......it was just that kind of night.  It wasn't a beat down like some folks will say......it was actually a very good football game.....except for the turnovers and poor execution inside the Red Zone all night for Argyle's offense.  Between the goal lines......it was a really hard-hitting defensive tough game.  No spectacular plays......no breakaways for TD's or long passes for TDs.  

1 minute ago, SDCAVEMAN said:

Maybe but unlikely.

I'll agree to disagree with you.  I've known Coach Rodgers for a looong time......from DAY 1 literally.  He will get this offense firing on all cylinders before it's all said and done.  Nothing wrong with the team as a whole......QB just needs some time to develop more.  He has time, and then there are some things the coaching staff can do that they haven't had a chance to do yet.  But hey.......everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I've been with Argyle since inception......seen all the years and all the teams.  They can get this situation fixed and working by playoff time, for sure.

I do want to congratulate the entire Melissa team for a game well-played and winning this bigtime matchup at home in front of the Melissa faithful.  This kind of win will undoubtedly catapult the Cardinals into possibly a District Championship.......I don't see any other team to keep them from winning out in district play with the personnel and QB they have.  Fennegan is very good.......he struggled tonight against what may be the best defense in 4A, but still managed to find ways for his offense to score.  He took off on a keeper and scored one himself.  He's a winner......a very good QB for sure.  And congrats to the Melissa D......they are a good unit and tough as nails.  Talented too.  Melissa will be a tough out for any of the playoff contenders.  We'll see how things go in this tough Region 2.  No telling which team will end up advancing to the semis.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

All scores were from turnovers and a short field.....one a very very short field.  Still some high and low snaps to the Argyle QB, but the Cardinals are stacking the middle to stop the run.  QB Robinson is green and not handling the pressure well. His throws so far have been high and off target for the most part.  Melissa's pass rush from the LB's and ends are causing the most problems.  Argyle's playing with two backup O-linemen because of injury.  Argyle's offense needs alot of work still.  Melissa has been stopped by the Argyle D.......but those short fields and Fennegan at the helm gives the advantage to Melissa when they have the ball.......just like I have been writing on this thread all week.

That's my fear with Carthage 

They said it was Decatur in 2006 on Fox Sports Friday Night Football......so I guess they looked it up. Argyle could have kicked some field goals to score, but why?   They also were inside the Melissa 10 yd line twice or maybe it was 3 times and never scored because of turnovers.  Everything went bad for Argyle tonight on offense and everything went Melissa's way on defense tonight.  This sometimes happens in games......hardly ever to Argyle......but it did happen to them tonight.

Argyle had a 60 game regular season win streak...hadn't a disctrict game since 2009...hadn't been shut ot since 2006

But the craziest thing to me tonight was the Eagles had 31 carries for 41 yards rushing. That Melissa run D is something special. They've allowed @ 500 yards rushing total in 6 games. #2 & #25 live in opposing teams backfield all night.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UnclePigg said:

Regal eagle has the longest posts in the history of Smoaky 

Really???  Is there some kind of award for that?   I'm just trying to explain things because there aren't very many posters interjecting into these Argyle threads.......so I'm elected to give all the information by default!!

4 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Really???  Is there some kind of award for that?   I'm just trying to explain things because there aren't very many posters interjecting into these Argyle threads.......so I'm elected to give all the information by default!!

But quite honestly.......Lobofan has me beat by a looooong shot, without question.  He outlines the whole game scenario on the Saturday before the next week's game, LOL. Sometimes it a whole page long.

• Like 1

This is a very big night in Melissa.......I'm quite certain the whole town is celebrating tonight.  Melissa has their Bye Week next week.......the players get a rest after starting the season with 6 straight very tough opponents.  Kudos and congrats again to Melissa.......and enjoy the fruits of your big win.

Meanwhile......Argyle has the opportunity now to re-assess their situation and address areas that need to be improved upon.  Now that the realism of losing and most probably not being the District Champ for the first time in what?  13 yrs!! sets in this weekend......it will be time to test character and resolve for this year's Argyle Eagles.  Lots of work to be done on offense......from the line play to the snaps to the total team commitment to help the QB. This loss does not fall on Robinson's shoulders.......he was put in precarious positions all night and really in games before tonight.  It was a team failure, not a QB failure. IF the coaching staff saw promise in Robinson as the starter this season, then I'm quite sure he has what it takes to lead the offense. 

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Oh they’re super informative. I certainly appreciate your breakdowns.

11 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Great defense can win a State Championship.......without debate.  All Argyle needs is time for Robinson to be better and improved.  Melissa caught Argyle early in district play.......he'll be improved by playoff time.  The rest of the team will have to keep playing and helping Robinson to gain confidence and experience.  Melissa won, but even their offense which has all kinds of talented guys and a very top QB did not look that good against this Argyle D.  Argyle can still win the Region and make it to Jerryworld......they've done it before with lesser teams.

Hey Regale Argyle could borrow the Dawg D but they are kinda busy right now. Just messing with you LOL. 

On a personal note the day after THE LOSS......I do appreciate the posters here not vilifying Argyle too much for dropping this game to what is and will prove to be a very talented Melissa team this season.  Sooner or later it was bound to happen......it's just asking too much for a team to continually win every game against a schedule like Argyle plays.  I'm certain Argyle's players and coaches will come together and rebound to make a run at the Region 2 Title in the playoffs.  It was a very competitive game that just went Melissa's way at every turn, and then things kinda went South.  The Argyle defense was very impressive again.......against what may be the best offense in 4A-D1.  But let me just compliment Melissa's D for a bigtime and surprising showing also.......that unit is super talented for sure. Really it was Melissa's D that caused this game to turn their way early......and then they kept the pressure on the entire game.  A great team effort and win by Melissa for sure.......they wanted this win more than Argyle and it was quite evident to me. They played better!!  And it helps to have a seasoned QB like Fennegan back there controlling the offense.  His talent and experience showed up all night.

5 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

On a personal note the day after THE LOSS......I do appreciate the posters here not vilifying Argyle too much for dropping this game to what is and will prove to be a very talented Melissa team this season.

Every team takes a loss at some point. Why would people vilify Argyle after 1 loss? Everyone respects their program.

• Like 3

Region II looking mighty tough in 4A-D1.....Melissa, Argyle, Stephenville, La Vega are at the top but lurking you've got Midlo Heritage, Paris, Kennedale and keep your eyes on 6-0 Kaufman as well....playoffs are going to be a grind starting in the area round

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

Region II looking mighty tough in 4A-D1.....Melissa, Argyle, Stephenville, La Vega are at the top but lurking you've got Midlo Heritage, Paris, Kennedale and keep your eyes on 6-0 Kaufman as well....playoffs are going to be a grind starting in the area round

Think you can probably take Paris off that list. The Cats lost to Anna 18-7 Friday. Way too one dimensional on offense. They will likely have to beat Kaufman to even have a chance at playoffs. Agree about district 5 threesome. The games between SVille, Heritage and LV gonna be slugfests.