Dallas public schools will no longer suspend students because too few white students are suspended

RETIREDFAN1

Yeah, nice headline, but a few facts. 

The student body at the schools served by Dallas Independent School District is 69.6% White, 5.7% Black, 22% Asian, 1.3% Hispanic/Latino, 0.5% American Indian or Alaska Native, and 69.6% Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander. So, that seems to reflect a disparity in punishment. Second, many school districts have been adopting over the last several years intervention steps in larger districts, rather than just suspension or ISS, because it takes them out of the classroom, and there is already learning gaps in many cases that aren't helped by the OSS or ISS or AEP placements. It can involve counseling, remediation, even social work, sometimes, to try and address root causes, in some cases, of the problem. There are mandatory placements for serious offenses, no matter what, in my experience. 

• LOL! 1

Just now, BarryLaverty said:

Yeah, I am positive that Colmesneil ISD with 94% white students gets it right. Many in the DFW area, where there is more of a mix don't, so there's that. You have experience in that area? 

I spent years in more places than Colmesneil and West Hardin......so yes I do....there were no discrepancies in disciplinary action....

Essentially, liberals want more white kids acting like behinds so they can get suspended.  Perhaps someone should ask why do the black & hispanic children act up so much.  Perhaps that is an example of the root cause of so many going to jail?  These are questions we should be addressing.  Not just whites, but all of us.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Essentially, liberals want more white kids acting like behinds so they can get suspended.  Perhaps someone should ask why do the black & hispanic children act up so much.  Perhaps that is an example of the root cause of so many going to jail?  These are questions we should be addressing.  Not just whites, but all of us.

Nope, not the point, at all, but thanks for playing, Tucker. 

Just now, BarryLaverty said:

Nope, not the point, at all, but thanks for playing, Tucker. 

Not the point?  Aren’t the demographics of our prisons, percentage wise, predominantly non-white?  Perhaps I’ve gotten some bad information.  Please enlighten me.

6 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Not the point?  Aren’t the demographics of our prisons, percentage wise, predominantly non-white?  Perhaps I’ve gotten some bad information.  Please enlighten me.

Preschool to prison pipeline has gradually started to be addressed over my time in education, as there is a large disparity in punishment for the same offenses in schools and in our society. Intervention steps have been needed, and Dallas ISD is doing that, along with many other districts. It isn't putting anything more on the white students to 'act up', but it is a steady and unblinking look at what has transpired and what needs to happen to help insure there is fairness at the root for minority students.  Justice isn't colorblind, either, because there is clear documentation that minorities get charged and sentenced differently for similar crimes and similar circumstances than their white counterparts. You ignoring that or those 'CRT' nimrods trying to erase the study of accurate history doesn't make it different. 

3 minutes ago, SloppyJoe said:

I know I am risking being called a racist but, it's possible there's a disparity in the amount of taxes being paid to Dallas County ISD schools as well.

Not calling you a racist, but are you saying that those that pay the most taxes should get the least punishment? I am probably missing your point. 

JMO - Suspension should be used as last resort. 

I have no problem with it being in black and white what would cause probation. Remove all Bias from equation. You could also form a disciplinary court to review. This could be done with outside arbitrators

But to say oh I missed breakfast so I beat the  crud out of someone - I'm going to reset center - is stupid 

7 minutes ago, osup116 said:

I have no problem with it being in black and white what would cause probation. Remove all Bias from equation. You could also form a disciplinary court to review. This could be done with outside arbitrators

But to say oh I missed breakfast so I beat the  crud out of someone - I'm going to reset center - is stupid 

prison has a reset center too - Called solitary - Its not warm and fuzzy 

5 minutes ago, osup116 said:

I agree with what you are saying, and you make a lot of sense on solutions. I agree that actions like actually assaulting someone or bringing a weapon or alcohol or drugs should be automatic punishment, with possible criminal charges, and the state actually spells out specific mandatory punishment for most cases. What is being seen too often is 'persistent misbehavior' like horseplay or being late or being out of dress code or being 'insubordinate', leading to severe consequences too often. 

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Leggett....Rice CISD....Harleton....Oakwood.....Kemp.....

Kemp 1.5%

Harleton 2.4%

Oakwood 16.9%

Rice 15.9%

These are all small schools in very small districts 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Be honest Colmes, I bet you taught less than 10 black kids your whole career 😂😂😂

• LOL! 1