Dallas public schools will no longer suspend students because too few white students are suspended

RETIREDFAN1

4 hours ago, Olduy said:

Perhaps a disparity in actions?

I agree.  It's hard to be suspended from school, but we used to call it OCS which was On Campus Suspension where they went to a stand alone building for classes.  I admit I was suspended from school in the 7th grade because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  It was easier to be assigned to go to OCS, but I never had enough infractions to go there.  Pine Tree was predominately white in the 70's and 80's and I don't remember any minorities being assigned there.  They had to report to that building directly from the buses and couldn't hang around and talk to other students.  So everyone knew who had that punishment.  Unlike Barry Laverty's take I think it's the actions of the students that get you assigned to that punishment.  They don't overlook white kids behavior.  I was assigned detention and  given licks, but I knew when I was on my last straw and acted right the rest of the school year.  

3 hours ago, osup116 said:

prison has a reset center too - Called solitary - Its not warm and fuzzy 

I think if I ever went to prison I would rather be in solitary than with the general population.  There's less of a chance of getting in a fight or being killed.  

3 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I agree.  It's hard to be suspended from school, but we used to call it OCS which was On Campus Suspension where they went to a stand alone building for classes.  I admit I was suspended from school in the 7th grade because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  It was easier to be assigned to go to OCS, but I never had enough infractions to go there.  Pine Tree was predominately white in the 70's and 80's and I don't remember any minorities being assigned there.  They had to report to that building directly from the buses and couldn't hang around and talk to other students.  So everyone knew who had that punishment.  Unlike Barry Laverty's take I think it's the actions of the students that get you assigned to that punishment.  They don't overlook white kids behavior.  I was assigned detention and  given licks, but I knew when I was on my last straw and acted right the rest of the school year.  

I teach in Disd. It's definitely disproportionate. 

1 minute ago, ctown81 said:

I teach in Disd. It's definitely disproportionate. 

I would like to know what the demographics of the Principals and Vice Principals are in DISD.  They are the one's that decide the punishment in most cases.  If the school districts with predominately minority students are white then I can see a case for it, but if they are minorities which isn't the case in Dallas anymore since whites are now the minority both there, Houston, San Antonio, and El Paso and they are dolling out these punishments then I don't see how race would factor in.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Not calling you a racist, but are you saying that those that pay the most taxes should get the least punishment? I am probably missing your point. 

Nope, not at all. But their folks may be the most profitable for the district and require the least amount of resources as far as discipline. 

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I would like to know what the demographics of the Principals and Vice Principals are in DISD.  They are the one's that decide the punishment in most cases.  If the school districts with predominately minority students are white then I can see a case for it, but if they are minorities which isn't the case in Dallas anymore since whites are now the minority both there, Houston, San Antonio, and El Paso and they are dolling out these punishments then I don't see how race would factor in.    

It starts with the teachers. Truth is, some students get more leeway than others. Usually when it gets to admin, its punishment time. 

I served on the Board at Waskom for three long years, we had a incident happen between two young black ladies in the hallway. Mouthing started it off with multiple blows coming later. The fight was broken up by the middle school principle or teacher I can't remember which. I thought the incident was taken care of until the next school board meeting. I knew something was in the air as the parking lot was full, usually that indicates someone has a issue and they have brought backup with them. Us elected officials knew nothing much about this rabble rousing that was soon to convince me I made a mistake running for school board. As the story continues the young lady who was defending herself from the attack of the other much larger young lady believe that there should not be equal punishment for her because she was defending herself and to me and the other school board members we also thought that was a very valid point, BUT NO! there was a policy that I learned about in executive secession to discuss this privately away from the interested parties that said anyone that retaliates also shall receive equal punishment. I was wanting to override this rule to give the young lady who was beat upon and merely trying to fend off a much larger girls attack a pass...But NO the powers that be said we had to support the rules that where established and voted upon by the board...IE (before my time) or the principle would resign. Anyhow we supported the principle and of course that made the parents furious. Punishment was washing a school bus or detention for a week. The girl that was attack washed the school bus and the attackers parent took her out of school and said her child would not do any punishment. One size does not fit all but in this case the rules said it did. 

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

It starts with the teachers. Truth is, some students get more leeway than others. Usually when it gets to admin, its punishment time. 

Could it possibly be that blacks students think they can get away with more if there’s a white teacher?  Doesn’t the news media reinforce this behavior?  Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SloppyJoe said:

Nope, not at all. But their folks may be the most profitable for the district and require the least amount of resources as far as discipline. 

I think you got the first part right, but the second part is an implication that wealthier kids act better. My experience has been that those are the kids who can do wrong things, but they are treated with kid's gloves because of their entitlement, not their purity. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I think you got the first part right, but the second part is an implication that wealthier kids act better. My experience has been that those are the kids who can do wrong things, but they are treated with kid's gloves because of their entitlement, not their purity. 

Or maybe they just don't do detention cause they behave Barry. There is that chance.

Just now, SloppyJoe said:

Or maybe they just don't do detention cause they behave Barry. There is that chance.

And many times they are the ones who bring the prescription drugs to school, who skip in their 60K Lexus to throw the drunken brawl of a party in their gated communities while their parents are downtown at work. A hilarious moment a year or so back was when kids pulled over 4 wealthier kids higher than a kite and one of them touched the cop's face, asking if he were real! He found out he was. The other three were allowed to be picked up with no punishment. 

21 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Could it possibly be that blacks students think they can get away with more if there’s a white teacher?  Doesn’t the news media reinforce this behavior?  Just a thought.

I laughed out loud when I read this. I want you to think about it for a second. You really think teenagers are watching mainstream media? Lol. Thanks for the laugh but to answer your question no that's not it.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

I laughed out loud when I read this. I want you to think about it for a second. You really think teenagers are watching mainstream media? Lol. Thanks for the laugh but to answer your question no that's not it.

Laugh all you want but their parents know it, ergo the kids know it.  Don’t go all naive on me.

7 hours ago, Hagar said:

Laugh all you want but their parents know it, ergo the kids know it.  Don’t go all naive on me.

By the way, I wasn't laughing at you. The thought of those kids watching mainstream media is genuinely funny. The school i teach at now has a high Muslim population and the kids have no idea about the right's feelings about Muslims. Struggling parents in the hood are not keeping up with MSM. Think about it, MSM is where most of the conservatives get their feelings about minorities. It's definitely not by personal experience. Most posters on here don't even interact with minorities on a daily basis and have zero interactions with inner cities so where does the info come from? One big contradiction to me. I honestly think more conservatives watch CNN more than liberals just to pick it apart. I honestly don't even watch it myself. I can't make this stuff up. 

3 hours ago, ctown81 said:

By the way, I wasn't laughing at you. The thought of those kids watching mainstream media is genuinely funny. The school i teach at now has a high Muslim population and the kids have no idea about the right's feelings about Muslims. Struggling parents in the hood are not keeping up with MSM. Think about it, MSM is where most of the conservatives get their feelings about minorities. It's definitely not by personal experience. Most posters on here don't even interact with minorities on a daily basis and have zero interactions with inner cities so where does the info come from? One big contradiction to me. I honestly think more conservatives watch CNN more than liberals just to pick it apart. I honestly don't even watch it myself. I can't make this stuff up. 

I do watch CBS News every evening (out of a lifelong habit, starting with Cronkite), but wouldn’t watch CNN unless someone paid me an obscene amount of money.  They don’t even pretend to be a News organization anymore, imo.

8 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I do watch CBS News every evening (out of a lifelong habit, starting with Cronkite), but wouldn’t watch CNN unless someone paid me an obscene amount of money.  They don’t even pretend to be a News organization anymore, imo.

I've never seen a non biased news outlet in my life. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I've never seen a non biased news outlet in my life. 

A fact I’ve posted in many different venues.  Partly why I watch FOX & CBS.  You can see the different spin on most stories.  The truth is probably somewhere in between.  Even worse than the spin is the omission of real news.  

15 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I agree with this 100%. The better off you are financially, the more you get away with. That holds true in real life too.

Here are some additional thoughts on your post Barry. I taught in the roughest school in Disd my first year and it was horrible. This was primarily b/c I was one of the teachers who was influenced by the portrayal of inner-city blacks by MSM.   Although I experienced many forms of racism in east, tx, I was a socio economic racist. (believing all minorities in the hood go around shooting random people and yes I made this phrase up)  I rarely looked at the students as normal students but as the image portrayed by the media and movies and thus failed to build any type of relationships with students. Back in the day, I would not hang out with many black people b/c I seemed too "white" to most and didn't fit into the culture all the way. So, without being in an inner city all I could believe was television. The second year, I fixed this and became one of the better teachers in the school, plus I mentored teachers, mainly white who were making the same mistakes as me. 

Well now I'm at a school with a high refugee and Muslim population and the MSM is so far from the truth. I never really believed the hype anyway. I've heard Muslim children called future terrorist over the years on this site and that's nowhere close. They assimilate into American culture pretty quickly white is both good and bad. They come here with a great respect for education but the more American they get, they care less. 

On 9/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, ctown81 said:

True, the teachers do send them to the Principals office, but usually they hear each side of the story and then determine the punishment.  I've already told the story of when I was in Drama and stopped by the library to show in a book more vulgar words than I did. The book was "Brighton Beach Memoirs".  I still had to serve my time in detention.  That was one demerit that I should have never had in my opinion.  

On 9/28/2021 at 7:15 PM, Wild74 said:

I served on the Board at Waskom for three long years, we had a incident happen between two young black ladies in the hallway. Mouthing started it off with multiple blows coming later. The fight was broken up by the middle school principle or teacher I can't remember which. I thought the incident was taken care of until the next school board meeting. I knew something was in the air as the parking lot was full, usually that indicates someone has a issue and they have brought backup with them. Us elected officials knew nothing much about this rabble rousing that was soon to convince me I made a mistake running for school board. As the story continues the young lady who was defending herself from the attack of the other much larger young lady believe that there should not be equal punishment for her because she was defending herself and to me and the other school board members we also thought that was a very valid point, BUT NO! there was a policy that I learned about in executive secession to discuss this privately away from the interested parties that said anyone that retaliates also shall receive equal punishment. I was wanting to override this rule to give the young lady who was beat upon and merely trying to fend off a much larger girls attack a pass...But NO the powers that be said we had to support the rules that where established and voted upon by the board...IE (before my time) or the principle would resign. Anyhow we supported the principle and of course that made the parents furious. Punishment was washing a school bus or detention for a week. The girl that was attack washed the school bus and the attackers parent took her out of school and said her child would not do any punishment. One size does not fit all but in this case the rules said it did. 

Whoever came up with that rule was definitely in the wrong, and they should have washed the school bus.  

22 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

This thread got way off. The proposed Center instead of suspension is just a way to keep kids on campus for schools to collect their money. Gotta get that first, educate second. 

That's why it was started in the 80's in many Texas School Districts.  It may have happened at other schools in the late 70's and caught on.  I know they began the program in 1982 at Pine Tree.