Week Seven: #4 Longview at #3 Highland Park

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (5-1) vs Highland Park Scots (4-1)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Highland Park in a close one
    • Highland Park in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/09/2021 at 12:30 AM

Doesn't Longview have around 8 or 9 sophomores starting this year? They are young & some are probably adjusting to the speed & strength of the game and their assignments. The really good teams they play often will expose this early in their varsity careers. It will be valuable experience when the playoffs get here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hitemwheretheyaint said:

Doesn't Longview have around 8 or 9 sophomores starting this year? They are young & some are probably adjusting to the speed & strength of the game and their assignments. The really good teams they play often will expose this early in their varsity careers. It will be valuable experience when the playoffs get here. 

How much of Longview have you watched this year?

The sophomores have had arguably the largest impacts on the team.

Wellllll, I'm gonna speak to some of these issues, then I'm gonna disable notifications and abandon this thread... 

As an admitted johnny-come-lately and a hired gun, I don't have near the amount of skin in the game as 9/10th of the guys who post on Lobo threads. I haven't put in the time or tears that most of y'all have. I'm totally "new money" and a shameless sunshine pumper. I don't pretend to be anything different. At the end of the day, I'm just happy to be here. So please take my takes with that in mind...

1.) I don't care how much you think Tweet, or comment, or research, or break down film: there ain't a single one of us who take the losses as hard as the kids in those uniforms or the coaches on that sideline. Period. No matter how frustrated you think you are, it simply cannot compare to what they experience. These are coaches who work 6 and 7-day weeks, 12 and 16-hour days. These are men and women with families and lives outside of work, that don't really exist from July through June. No amount of money is worth that. Also, these are kids who go to school all day, have homework and tests, have relationship drama or hard home lives or emotional issues. They're also living in an extremely weird and complicated and polarized time right now. Far more so than the relatively halcyon days many of us enjoyed. Any one of them who "doesn't care" about winning or losing quite simply would've been eaten alive by junior high. They all care, and they all want to win. Every game. State, every year. 

2.) In principle, I disagree with calling out this or that player. At the end of the day, even the oldest of them are only on the cusp of adulthood. Sure, 18 is "legally" an adult, but every one of you guys knows the difference between teenage "man" and a full grown man. I try to keep an encouraging posture with all of them, regardless of the situation, because I can't help see all of them as "just kids." BUT, at the same time...  Lobo Nation is different. It's not better or worse, it's just different. The kids who come up through the grade school all have a certain intensity that isn't like other places. Doesn't matter if you're playing peewee league or church league or even during recess: there is an expectation of excellence. I see my 9-year-old son barking orders pre-snap or upbraiding teammates for slacking, and I see the kids who either roll their eyes or shrug and walk away. Some kids can't hack it, some kids have the dog in them. Only the strong survive. 

3.) It is so easy for me, from the comfort of anonymity and the pristine perception of hindsight, to roll my eyes and say, "Wouldn't have called that play." Or perhaps, "King should start Smith instead of Jones!" It's safe and comfortable to do when you're free from the bounds of accountability or responsibility. But that's a sword that cuts both ways...  as the top dog of Lobo Nation, John King understands that he is probably going to get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. He ain't a daisy, he knows how it works. His name is next to every win and every loss, and he's a big enough man to put it there and sleep soundly every night. No, even I don't agree with every decision or call, but I damn sure respect the hell out of a man who does the job he does. That goes for everything we see on Friday nights, and everything none of you see the other six days of the week. No, he's not above criticism, but he's also more than worthy of respect. They all are.

We're all so lucky to be a part of this. We would all live a little better if we tried to enjoy all this a little more. 

Lobo up.  🐺👍💚

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 10 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, cotton84 said:

Maxpreps says Aledo and Highland Park played the first game of the season in both 2012 and 2013.  
Shows they played at a neutral field in 2012.   Says they played at Highland Park in 2013.  Says Aledo won easily both years. 
Maxpreps is not always accurate. 

We rolled Highland Park both games. 31-12 and 44-3. Something along those lines.

https://www.hudl.com/video/2/16956/5721a3199a91677e7453193d-