Marshall (2-0), (3-2) Vs. Texas High (2-0),(4-0)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Texas High  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Texas High in close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Texas High in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

O-line was our undoing last year.  1000 times better.  It was the reason our QB struggled last season IMHO.  Burris had a great arm.  But he was running for his life more often than not.  Mobility wasn't his strength.  He was a pocket passer.   Olvera doesn't have the touch Burris had....but he's more mobile and he's actually getting pocket protection.   609 yards in just three starts and he didn't play in the second half of the Jacksonville game.  He's exciting to watch.

Texas High is the favorite.  They are the defending district champs.  They are state ranked.  They are unbeaten.  They are playing at a stadium that's been a nightmare for us more often than not.  

This is a statement game for the Mavs.  Hope it's a good one.

gameday posted Texas high qb mchenry has 6 tds and 520 passing through 3 games . (Missed a half vs mp and Hallsville. Hope he can find a way to get the ball downfield. Very well biggest game for him besides Crosby last year.imagine Marshall front will sell out to stop the run 

Defense is our strength.  No doubt. But we’ve had some breakdowns in the secondary. But they are rare.

We held New Caney to 9 points with 4 mins left in the game (was 9-7) but they got 2 cheap touchdowns off of late interceptions.  Game was MUCH closer than the final score showed. 

Held Longview to 14. But in fairness… they were having O-line and QB issues that have obviously been resolved since. Over 100 points the last 2 games.

Held PT to 10.  Was a fantastic defensive game.  Their RB has averaged 7+ yards a carry and we held him to 98  he only had one breakaway run on the night.  

McKinney North was our worst defensive game of the season. Gave up 21 in the first half.  Great adjustments at the half sealed the game.  They got a late TD Vs bench players 

I was very pleased in the defense Vs Jacksonville.  McCuin was a beast.  He got his. He won’t be denied.   But the starting defense kept in Jacksonville most of the night.   Bench gave up some yards in the second half. But overall….. a good game defensively. 

The question mark is how our offense will play Vs the 2nd best defense we’ve faced.  Longview completely shut us down in the first half.  We were a mess offensively.    Olvera took over at QB after halftime and we actually had some success moving the ball. But the Lobo defense was good enough to preserve the shut out. 

We had a lot of success offensively Vs McNorth with 41 points. Of course we had 64 Vs Jacksonville.  We had 17 Vs PT (would have been 24 if not a fumble on the PT 4 yard line). PT has a pretty good defense.  But I think THS’ is better. So that’s concerning. We will need to use all our weapons to beat the Tigers.  Can’t become one dimensional.  Olvera is a serviceable QB with over 600 yards in his 3 starts. He didn’t even play in the second half of the Jville game.  So he’s got those yards in 2 full games and the half Vs Longview.  We got a couple of guys we can hand it off too.

A few guys that have been out for injures will be back this week. So hopefully that will help too. 

A loss won’t be devastating for either.  But a win would be HUGE. ESP if it’s a Marshall upset.  THS is the state ranked defending district champ at home.   They are the clear favorite here.  

idk what Texas high will do. Missing some guys to injuries as well which could definitely play a part. Tbh the best they played was probably against jt and that was only the first half. Got up 21-3 and kinda went flat. hope they can play 4 quarters. 

6 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

idk what Texas high will do. Missing some guys to injuries as well which could definitely play a part. Tbh the best they played was probably against jt and that was only the first half. Got up 21-3 and kinda went flat. hope they can play 4 quarters. 

I thought THS was finally going to be healthy this week.

Another reason we to want to win this Friday:
last time Marshall won back to back games at Grim...... 1988 and 1996.

That 2017 game was a barnburner.  We almost gave it away.  Good thing we won it.....otherwise our losing streak at Grim would be six straight dating back to 2002.

17 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I thought THS was finally going to be healthy this week.

Another reason we to want to win this Friday:
last time Marshall won back to back games at Grim...... 1988 and 1996.

That 2017 game was a barnburner.  We almost gave it away.  Good thing we won it.....otherwise our losing streak at Grim would be six straight dating back to 2002.

they could be but a corner was out Friday at Hallsville who started last year, If he’s out I would think it plays a part. and a defensive lineman has been out since jt. 

25 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

@Mavchampdid Jv play tonight in Marshall ? I know 8th played last night . I think both games ended 24-6 and 24-0 texas high 

The MJHS 8th teams played last night.  Both beat Hallsville.  7th teams plays on Monday

JV played tonight.  Freshman will play tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RogerDorn said:

hard to keep up with them playing on every day of the week

Trust me....I know.  Keeping scores and records is not easy when games are all over the place (home/away changing), weather cancels, some schools having A and B teams.  Some not.  I think we finally just combined out Freshman B team with the A team because they were always being canceled.  And the A team needs all the help they can get.

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Trust me....I know.  Keeping scores and records is not easy when games are all over the place (home/away changing), weather cancels, some schools having A and B teams.  Some not.  I think we finally just combined out Freshman B team with the A team because they were always being canceled.  And the A team needs all the help they can get.

credit to you lobofan and others that take the time to do it. a lot of work goes into it ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PT is getting overlooked I think by some.  IMHO...their defense is good.  Maybe not as good as last season...but still good.

Their offense just isn't anywhere near what it was last year.

50 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

freeman was different. If he was 2-3 inches taller imo he’s getting looks from all over 

He will likely win (or at least play for) a National Championship at UMHB.

But yeah.....I'm a huge NCAA Div III football fan being an ETBU alum.  There's a ton of great football at that level.  But.... it's not FBS or FCS.  Which is where all the glitz it.

Most people in the USA have no idea where Belton, Texas is.   

But they do know....
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Clemson, South Carolina
State College, Pennsylvania
South Bend, Indiana

Anyway.... GO MAVS!  BEAT THE TIGERS!!!!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 4:46 PM, RogerDorn said:

Clayton Smith with a lot of attention last year led to Brown getting some spotlight. Jr #16 Crite stepping up just the same after getting the start past 2 weeks. checked in with a 6’10 wingspan this a.m

He looks like a baby.  (Not meaning this in a bad way)