Marshall (2-0), (3-2) Vs. Texas High (2-0),(4-0)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Texas High  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Texas High in close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Texas High in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

End of 3

Texas High leads 20-10. 

Tigers just blocked a 25 yard FG attempt by Marshall.  

We’ve had our chances.  But we’ve been tooooo sloppy. 

Penalties and turnovers.  That’ll kill you every time. 

5 turnovers. Olvera has struggled all night. Things seemed off from the beginning once that first td was called back. I don't understand why Marshall abandoned the running game so early in the game. Especially with the qb being off tonight.

7 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Texas High is a really good team. Congrats and i expect they will make a run this year. Too many mistakes by Marshall but they should still take 2nd place and get a home playoff game IF they take care of business like they should.

We got some work ahead of us. 

esp road games at Mp and Nac. 

No gimmies

Marshall rb #4 had things going in the first half. he is a good player. 88 at wr made some really good plays to keep drives alive. Didn’t see #3 get he ball as much as I thought he would.  Marshall oline started to get worn down not long into 2nd half, credit to their defense thought didn’t shy away from having to be on field a lot played good all night. 

Texas high really needing a wr to step in and help open things up down field in passing game. Marshall got to the point where they had 8 in box to stop the run and played man on the outside. Stewart had over a 100 but it wasn’t pretty. good luck to the mavs rest of the way

Mavs are better this year, THS is not.  Mav coach snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the surprise on-call kick which gave THS great field position.  The Mav kicker would have booted the kickoff in to the end zone for a touchback and THS would have gotten the ball at the 25 yard line instead of the 50.

6 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Mavs are better this year, THS is not.  Mav coach snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the surprise on-call kick which gave THS great field position.  The Mav kicker would have booted the kickoff in to the end zone for a touchback and THS would have gotten the ball at the 25 yard line instead of the 50.

cmon guy they had 6 interceptions...one maybe being Marshall’s fault. jaws of victory?? Nobody is winning after 6 turnovers  let’s say Texas high doesn’t score they still held Marshall offense 2nd half to no points. 

5 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

Marshall rb #4 had things going in the first half. he is a good player. 88 at wr made some really good plays to keep drives alive. Didn’t see #3 get he ball as much as I thought he would.  Marshall oline started to get worn down not long into 2nd half, credit to their defense thought didn’t shy away from having to be on field a lot played good all night. 

Texas high really needing a wr to step in and help open things up down field in passing game. Marshall got to the point where they had 8 in box to stop the run and played man on the outside. Stewart had over a 100 but it wasn’t pretty. good luck to the mavs rest of the way

They have a sophomore that will be eligible next week that started for Liberty Eylau as a freshman last season before transferring last season.  He is tall and fast and has good hands.  It remains to  be seen how he is utilized an fits in the offense at this point in the season.  He has a brother that is becoming eligible also that plays safety, linebacker, and running back.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

They have a sophomore that will be eligible next week that started for Liberty Eylau as a freshman last season before transferring last season.  He is tall and fast and has good hands.  It remains to  be seen how he is utilized an fits in the offense at this point in the season.  He has a brother that is becoming eligible also that plays safety, linebacker, and running back.

I’m thinking both make an impact . texas high may not be as good as last year, but the teams they have played this year are much better teams for sure imo. Forney had another win last night puts them at the top of their district with ennis. jt although not pretty won again as well. Those teams last year ended the season with 3 wins total. Marshall is also much improved. Hallsville showed a little life tonight and beat whitehouse as well as mp beating nac. Who knows how’ll they end up doing but I don’t think team is good as they will end up being come playoffs either. Especially if the two players you mentioned are playing 

Thought about the game headed home...... a few observations.....

1.  Our defense kept us in the game longer than our offense was willing to stay.  Some of that was our own undoing.....but by and large it was chaos caused by Texas High's defense.  Our defense deserved a closer game... but the offense just put them in some terrible situations with short fields.

2.  The turnovers just boggle my mind.  I think we had 3 turnovers in 4 games Vs. Longview, McNorth, Pine Tree, and Jacksonville.  Olvera only had one interception headed into tonight's game IIRC.  Six turnovers in one game might be a record.   Just came out of no where.  Again.... credit to THS' defense.

3.  Penalties..... we haven't been a heavily penalized team this season.  Until tonight.  One holding call cost us 4 points when we had to settle for a FG after having the TD called back.  The false starts were a new thing we did tonight.  We had numerous procedure penalties.  Then the holding calls.  They killed several positive yard plays, cost us points, and more than anything....cost us field position.

4.  Kicking game has been one of our highlights this year.  But it too was plagued with mistakes tonight.  Missed a chip-shot (by his standard) FG of 25 yards.  That cost us 3 points.  Then the short kick.  Was told that was a mistake...and not a call.  But..... it certainly looked intentional.  Hope I'm wrong.  The game should have been 10-10 at the half.  Giving them the ball at midfield  with less thn 2 mins left in the half is atrocious.  Did it cost us the game?  No.  Not that one thing.  There were lots of little things.

5.  NO DOUBT our offensive line is 10000% better than it was last season.  Coach Lott's work is VERY apparent.    But it's still a liability...the protection isn't where it needs to be yet.  The running lanes/blocking isn't there yet.  As the game wore on.... the Tiger line started dominating the LOS.  We had no answer.  Olvera was running for his life... and it lead to some poor throws/decisions on his part.

6.  Mav defense was a beast tonight.  Can't really complain.  Not all of those 27 points was on them.

7.  JQ Davis is a beast running the ball....he just needs the OL to help him out a bit.

8.  WR's need to complete their routes.... seems like they aren't running full speed at times.  Some of those overthows would be completions with a little more hustle. 

End of the day....

Texas High is a better team.  All the credit in the world to them.

But I think we're closer to them than the score shows.  We had our chances and we wasted them.  

Too many mistakes.  Too many penalties.  WAYYYYY Too many turnovers.

--------

I do think our last 4 games are all winnable....which means a home playoff game and a record of (7-3).  Which is about where I picked us to be this season.

We will likely be favored in each of out final 4 games

BUT....BUT ....BUT.........we CANNOT overlook ANYONE.

We will be hosting a desperate WH team this coming week....  always dangerous.

A tough road game in MP against a Tiger team that is no pushover.  CANNOT take them lightly.

A home game Vs. Hallsville ..... Rivalry game.  We all know how those can be.

A road game at Nac against a Dragon team that is desperate now that they lost to MP.

No gimmies.  None.  But IMHO....no excuse we can't close out 4-0 and head into the playoffs at (7-3).

----------

Again... congrats to the Tigers.  You guys are without a doubt the best team in the district.  Best of luck the rest of the way!

• Like 2