Carthage vs Center

CarthDawg77

8 hours ago, BevBrownJr said:

Does anyone out there remember the last time Center beat Carthage in football?

2005 I believe. I remember because Center got blown out by Hemphill, then Hemphill got rolled up by Joaquin a week later. Center went on to beat Carthage something like 18-12 late in district play. I believe Surratt was hired that offseason. Quite possibly the best hire in the history of Texas high school football. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ttowngrad said:

Rumor on the street is the old saying if money talks then and bull poo walks.. Surratt to lufkin for over 200,000.00 plus 

Could be worse. We are having to fight off people offering a lot more money than $200k for a dang assistant coach. 
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/10/jets-jaguars-interested-in-josh-mccown

9 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

Surratt has said on multiple occasions that he intends to be in Carthage at least until his son graduates.  I will believe otherwise if/when I see it. 

Jeff Traylor said he was going to retire in Gilmer but seeing the money he is making he ain’t stupid.  Peoples plans change and money influences those changes.

Just now, BuckNut said:

Jeff Traylor said he was going to retire in Gilmer but seeing the money he is making he ain’t stupid.  Peoples plans change and money influences those changes.

Traylor was never in position to set an unbreakable record, like Surratt is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Traylor was never in position to set an unbreakable record, like Surratt is.

Surratt also want his son the graduate from CHS and he wants to coach him. So, I would not be surprised SS stays through his sons senior year and then maybe the next season or a handful of seasons afyer that he tries college. 
That same issue was brought up recently and he said he wants to coach his son and if somebody wants to take a chance on a by then 58 year old high school he’ll see what happens.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Idk Traylor’s family or personal life history so much and if he had a son about to be in high school that he could have coached, but I do know Surratt has been asked these questions for years and rumors get tossed around. He always has said the same thing. His family and he love it here, He wants to coach his son and that he might entertain something else after.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RogerDorn said:

coaching his son still on the table if he left for Lufkin..he’s gonna be a good player !! 

When someone discovered gold & is successfully finding more of it in a particular spot, why then would that person suddenly leave that spot in the hope of finding gold somewhere else ?

5 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

When someone discovered gold & is successfully finding more of it in a particular spot, why then would that person suddenly leave that spot in the hope of finding gold somewhere else ?

I kind of agree.  He has had multiple options to leave HS and go straight to College since about 2009.  We know he turned those down.  Why leave a really good thing in Carthage to go to Lufkin?  Doesn’t make good sense.  I think he stays through his son’s Sr year and then moves on to see if he can replicate in College.  Might even see a two for one deal there in father & son going to the same school if little Surratt continues to develop.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

lol I agree, no argument...just saying by looks of it rn his son will be able to play at lufkin, Carthage etc. 

1 hour ago, BuckNut said:

So you guys really think that Surratt would say in an interview “if more money presents itself I will be leaving”.  Y’all are crazy, every Coach in America says I am here for the long haul. 

You think SS hasn’t turned down more money already? No telling how many offers he has had. Remember Texas wanted SS when they hired JT. He will leave when his son graduates as others have said. That is if he can find the right job at 58. He won’t leave Carthage for another HS job IMO. Why would he?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

You think SS hasn’t turned down more money already? No telling how many offers he has had. Remember Texas wanted SS when they hired JT. He will leave when his son graduates as others have said. That is if he can find the right job at 58. He won’t leave Carthage for another HS job IMO. Why would he?

If is son is fortunate enough to play college football or college golf, don’t think Little B will jump at just any job - he more than likely will want to watch his son play in college. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

2005 I believe. I remember because Center got blown out by Hemphill, then Hemphill got rolled up by Joaquin a week later. Center went on to beat Carthage something like 18-12 late in district play. I believe Surratt was hired that offseason. Quite possibly the best hire in the history of Texas high school football. 

I remember that game the huge running back for Hemphill got so mad at our defense he started to kick them after being tackled. He gained over 300 yards against center and didn't get a hundred against our kids

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

If is son is fortunate enough to play college football or college golf, don’t think Little B will jump at just any job - he more than likely will want to watch his son play in college. 

See my post on this subject.  I predict a 2 for 1 if Little S. continues to develop as a QB.  That will raise the stakes on recruiting.

6 hours ago, BuckNut said:

So you guys really think that Surratt would say in an interview “if more money presents itself I will be leaving”.  Y’all are crazy, every Coach in America says I am here for the long haul. 

I mean, you never really know what’s in another person’s heart, but he’s always maintained he would like to coach his son through high school, and then we’ll see after that.

Surratt has had legitimate college coaching opportunities in the past and turned them down for the reason above.

SS may well leave in less than five years and us Carthage folks are going to enjoy the ride for as long as we can. We know it’ll end one day and we’re going to enjoy this current era of Carthage football while we can.

Nothing else to say.

Go Dawgs!

• Like 1