# 5 Aubrey vs # 4 Celina

TCU44

• TCU44 changed the title to # 5 Aubrey vs # 4 Celina

On paper, this has the trappings of a really good game. After all, it was only a year ago that Aubrey upset the Bobcats for the first time since 1993. The Chaps bring back a lot of talented pieces from a team that made it to the Region I semifinals last year. So far, Aubrey has made light work of its competition, with close-ish games against Caddo Mills and Terrell. However, there aren’t any signature wins over quality teams. I’d say the 27-14 victory over Terrell is the most impressive so far.

Meanwhile, Celina navigated an early-season who’s who of the 4A Div. I top 10. That said, Paris appears to not be who we thought they were, and Argyle looks more vulnerable now than they have in a while after a loss to Melissa.

A year ago, Celina couldn’t get Aubrey off the field, and the Bobcats couldn’t establish an identity offensively. Noah Bentley was in his 2nd start at QB as a talented but raw sophomore. Bentley is still raw, but he’s gotten much better, and he’s got a lot of weapons around him that hadn’t fully developed last season. To go with that, Celina has one of the best defenses in 4A Div. II (second only to Carthage in my opinion), and they’ve done well against the run so far this season.

The Bobcats are seasoned on both sides of the ball (minus a few spots in the secondary) and thus far, they’ve been able to control the LOS on offense and defense with a boatload of size, strength and athleticism. Look for some hard-nosed battles in the trenches this week.

When these two teams played last season, it was the first live game the Bobcats had played in three weeks. That showed. Celina was flat, un-energetic and undisciplined and it showed. This year, the Bobcats are coming off another unplanned bye week (Boerne cancelled last week’s game), but where the 2020 team lacked leadership, 2021 has it to spare.

With an extra week to prepare, with the game at Celina, with a focused, vengeful mindset from the Bobcats, and with a far more talented team on both sides of the ball, I look for Celina to win emphatically on Friday.

That said, Aubrey is for real. This is not the Chaps from the 90s-00s. This team can play. They’re athletic. Fast. Disciplined. Determined. And they have lots of dangerous pieces.

And all that is why I believe this will be the first of two matchups between these two teams.

I believe Celina and Aubrey will play for the Region I crown come December.

• Like 1

The more I watch Aubrey on film, the more I come away impressed with them. Yes, the competition hasn't been stellar, but the Chaps execute pretty efficiently on offense. Semahj Brown at QB provides Aubrey with a multi-faceted, athletic QB who has a good arm, and can beat you with his legs, or extend plays with his legs. Martavious Hill at RB is big, strong and athletic. Jacob Holder another one in the backfield that has speed to burn.

Aubrey's offensive line is not overly big. They'll be outsized by the Bobcats for sure. But they are quick off the ball and get to their assignments with a lot of consistency. I expect to see the Bobcats show a good old fashioned 10-1 Special look and have a nose guard try to blow up the play at the snap. If the Bobcats d-line can live in the backfield, like they've done consistently this season, that should keep the Chaps offensive line off of the Celina LBs, freeing them up to flow to the football. Getting gap penetration will also slow down some of the traps and midlines I've seen from Aubrey. Celina's going to need Wyatt Stephens and Trae Hollins to set the edge on each end, as well, and not let Aubrey get to the outside and into the secondary.

Our corners are going to be on islands this week, and they'll need to be disciplined and communicate with the safety. We can't let a back come out of the backfield uncovered, or let big ol Jett Runion (TE #88) get open on a seam route set up by play action.

In passing situations, we'll need to get to Brown quickly and force him to make fast reads, and not give him the time or space to extend plays with his legs.

On film, it looks like this game is going to be tough. Aubrey can make you pay, offensively, in a lot of ways, especially if you get undisciplined on your assignments.

One other thing to note, though:

Aubrey plays a lot of key guys both ways, including Hill, Runion, Holder and others along the lines. Celina needs to take advantage of that. That big strong Bobcat offensive line needs to wear the Aubrey front out. Just lean on them and bully them around. If we can sustain drives, offensively, it's going to really start to take a toll on those two-way guys, which will help pay dividends for our defense in the 3rd and 4th quarters. In order to do that, we've got to consistently win first down. Stay ahead of the chains. Don't have any silly mental errors or mistakes. No big drive killing penalties. No unforced turnovers. Hit the big plays when they open up. And if we get the Chaps down early, we need to break their spirits and put them away quickly.

• Like 1

To me The step up in talent compared to what Aubrey has played is very big and I think if Celina  plays like they’re capable of this game is not very close. Maybe I’m wrong but just my opinion.

Celina 44

Aubrey 16

6 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

To me The step up in talent compared to what Aubrey has played is very big and I think if Celina  plays like they’re capable of this game is not very close. Maybe I’m wrong but just my opinion.

Celina 44

Aubrey 16

Celina will definitely be the best team on Aubrey’s schedule. And I think you’re right, if the Bobcats play to their potential, it should be a nice W.

• Like 1

Yeah......Go get it, d0tc0m, lol.  As for my pick in this game......Aubrey is most definitely a very good offensive team and a playoff team for sure.  Probably at least several rounds deep if not in the regional final.  BUT.........they just will not be able to be nearly as effective with their speedy backs and running game against this season's Celina D.  My forecast is a very impressive showing this week by Celina on both offense and defense.......payback time for last season.  Aubrey should breakout for a couple of scores too, but nothing compared to their season averages.  With 3 and outs, possibly a turnover or two, and good field position with lots of opportunities on offense.......I'd say Celina should put  up the points this week against a pretty darn good Aubrey team.......somewhere around 38-14 is my guess.   I'ma thinkin'  Celina might kick a field goal just because they want to check on that part of their game......one in the 30+ range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

d0tc0m is looking Reagle-ish on this thread.  I’m expecting 20 pages including play by play Fri night.  😂

Lol Regal and I both like detailed breakdowns of the games, no doubt!

I won’t be doing play by play though! My hats off to those who can, but I can’t watch and post lol

• LOL! 1

29 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Yeah......Go get it, d0tc0m, lol.  As for my pick in this game......Aubrey is most definitely a very good offensive team and a playoff team for sure.  Probably at least several rounds deep if not in the regional final.  BUT.........they just will not be able to be nearly as effective with their speedy backs and running game against this season's Celina D.  My forecast is a very impressive showing this week by Celina on both offense and defense.......payback time for last season.  Aubrey should breakout for a couple of scores too, but nothing compared to their season averages.  With 3 and outs, possibly a turnover or two, and good field position with lots of opportunities on offense.......I'd say Celina should put  up the points this week against a pretty darn good Aubrey team.......somewhere around 38-14 is my guess.   I'ma thinkin'  Celina might kick a field goal just because they want to check on that part of their game......one in the 30+ range.

I like the way you think, Regal. I’m thinking the game could go similarly.