"Old School" offenses?

Monte1076

I know most schools in Texas run more modern offenses (Spread, Zone read, "Pro" style offenses, whatever). I know Ennis runs the Spread again (and I love it).

But how many teams run "old school" offenses? Things like the Slot-T, Wing-T, Wishbone, Split Back Veer, etc? I don't necessarily consider the I-Formation "old school", so I'm not including it.

And, what would you rather see your team run? I know the answer is probably "It doesn't matter as long as they win", but I'm just curious.

Alto is back to its offense of the 90s with Coach Gamble re-installing the split back veer that his dad ran. We are averaging 39 points a game. If you take out the loss to Troup which was the first game to run the new offense and personnel in different positions than today, then we are averaging 46. We are 3-1 so I like it. Lol Suits our kids right now and it is working. 

Pewitt, Pittsburg, Hughes Springs (Slot T), Pleasant Grove, Harmony, Harleton, Hawkins (Wing T), Waskom (Flexbone) and there are a couple 5A DFW schools flexbone as well. None of these are new to the systems. They've ran them for a while. Except Pittsburg.  

It’s a hard thing to determine. Do you put in an offensive scheme and teach it from 7th grade on and make the kids fit your system, or do you adjust each year to your kids? I think you have a scheme, but modify how you run it to fit your strengths.

• Like 3

Just now, StillGreezy said:

I've seen it done.  But I'm not sure what the advantage of taking the snap  from the pistol provides.  

The wishbone likely won more college national championships than any other formation and is very fun to watch imho.

Notre dame ran the (notre dame box)named after them in the 40/50’s direct snap to a back of their choice…was effective back in the gap.

17 hours ago, StillGreezy said:

I've seen it done.  But I'm not sure what the advantage of taking the snap  from the pistol provides.  

The wishbone likely won more college national championships than any other formation and is very fun to watch imho.

I have a book here at my house ("Blood, Sweat, and Chalk: The Ultimate Football Playbook") that has a chapter on the wishbone. There's a quote in it from Lou Holtz where he said (paraphrased): If a college hired me and told me they wanted to win a National Championship, I'd put in the wishbone.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 12:34 PM, Monte1076 said:

I know most schools in Texas run more modern offenses (Spread, Zone read, "Pro" style offenses, whatever). I know Ennis runs the Spread again (and I love it).

But how many teams run "old school" offenses? Things like the Slot-T, Wing-T, Wishbone, Split Back Veer, etc? I don't necessarily consider the I-Formation "old school", so I'm not including it.

And, what would you rather see your team run? I know the answer is probably "It doesn't matter as long as they win", but I'm just curious.

I guess I’m a dinosaur. I love old school stuff like the belly, trap, counter, veer. I will say I love that Gunter runs it from a pistol set and it’s awesome. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StillGreezy said:

That 36 and 47 counter is really hard to stop.   

1 hour ago, wingtveer said:

I guess I’m a dinosaur. I love old school stuff like the belly, trap, counter, veer. I will say I love that Gunter runs it from a pistol set and it’s awesome. 

You can run those same concepts out of a Pistol set and tear things up.

I don't know why it's not more common, reckon it's aging out?

2 minutes ago, StillGreezy said:

I don't understand the advantage of running it from the pistol.   

There isn't one, but for all these newish Millennial coaches who were weaned on "da Spread" lining up under center and playing power football is often a hard sell.

By gussying it up in the Pistol you can sprinkle in some "Air Raid" language and they won't freak out on you. 

• LOL! 2

38 minutes ago, StillGreezy said:

I know a football team that runs some kind of slot t something or other in the pistol.   The coach said the quarterback can't take a snap under center.   And refused to learn how.   

That kid would be a strong tackle at Joaquin. 

2 hours ago, StillGreezy said:

The true pistol was started by Nevada university. The QB is only suppose to be 2 to 3yards from under center. It is only here in the last 7 years. Pistol has been ran out of the shot gun spread. With the QB being 5 yards off of the ball.

On 10/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, StingEmALTO said:

Alto is back to its offense of the 90s with Coach Gamble re-installing the split back veer that his dad ran. We are averaging 39 points a game. If you take out the loss to Troup which was the first game to run the new offense and personnel in different positions than today, then we are averaging 46. We are 3-1 so I like it. Lol Suits our kids right now and it is working. 

And you didn’t play Timpson. 

8 hours ago, Indaeast said:

And you didn’t play Timpson. 

Sadly no. Many of our players (at least 6 starters on each side of the ball and not counting the second string) and about half the coaches were out with Covid; school was actually dismissed Thursday and Friday that week. It stunk and thank the good Lord we’re past that mess.

On 10/5/2021 at 6:26 PM, StillGreezy said:

If you're running the option especially midline the two-three yard snap makes it easier to read. Gives the quarterback time to get his eyes on his read.