"Old School" offenses?

Monte1076

Pistol advantages: makes read easier on qb(gives him a small amount of more time)

Disadvantages: doesn't hit as quick, so can also be easier for defense to react/blow it up

Personally I always thought the best thing about midline is how fast it hit. One false step or hesitation from the defense and that FB is gaining 4+ yards everytime

1 hour ago, BEARDEDGOAT said:

If you're running the option especially midline the two-three yard snap makes it easier to read. Gives the quarterback time to get his eyes on his read. 

Does it give him time? Watching teams that do it I don't feel like they read well because the QB now has to catch a snap and take his eyes to the read.

I think the real advantage is tricking fans into thinking you're spread. Undercenter and running it, too old school. Backing up 3 yards exciting and new... 

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, StingEmALTO said:

Alto is back to its offense of the 90s with Coach Gamble re-installing the split back veer that his dad ran. We are averaging 39 points a game. If you take out the loss to Troup which was the first game to run the new offense and personnel in different positions than today, then we are averaging 46. We are 3-1 so I like it. Lol Suits our kids right now and it is working. 

Alto was a freaking machine with that offense...

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 8:01 PM, StillGreezy said:

I've seen it done.  But I'm not sure what the advantage of taking the snap  from the pistol provides.  

The wishbone likely won more college national championships than any other formation and is very fun to watch imho.

The advantage to me is the quick passing gm is much easier than the 3 step drop. Catch the snap and throw

18 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Does it give him time? Watching teams that do it I don't feel like they read well because the QB now has to catch a snap and take his eyes to the read.

I think the real advantage is tricking fans into thinking you're spread. Undercenter and running it, too old school. Backing up 3 yards exciting and new... 

As far as tricking fans...I think it more of getting the kids bought in because now they are doing things they see on TV....just my thought LOL

Jimmy and Joes not x's and o's.  Must have good players to run any offense. I think the Plan is more is more important than the scheme. If coaches do what they do cause that's what they know then you are going to be in trouble . You must adapt with the talent you have. Sometimes you don't have a good Qb. You still gonna run the spread? Players make coaches look good or bad.  My opinion 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Destry said:

Spread=FAD, everybody’s doing it so we have to. Not true!!

The spread is a fad because it can work with the right personnel. If you have explosive athletes who are great in space, it provides the opportunity to get them the ball away from big D linemen. Many different offenses can work. That’s what’s great about it.

Technically, there is no "pure" Wing-T anymore - like all things it has been morphed and hybridized ... the Slot-T, has also seemed to evolved a little - but the Slot-T Mafia is seems a little more dedicated to the traditional approach ... and there are a few who blend the Slot and Wing together - off the top of my head, one that comes to mind is Essary at Athens - that was before they threw him under the bus even though he had won more games in his ten years there than the Hornets had won in the previous eighteen.

Most of the Wing-T theory in Texas evolved from the development of the "West Texas Wing-T" ... and like I said that has been expanded in scope a lot .... I watched PG a few years ago in the championship game - I think they lined up in the pure Wing-T about a half dozen times (always to run the Quick or Curl Trap) ... I watched Terrell this week - they were in the straight Wing-T only about a third of the time ... I'm not saying that evolution is a bad thing - only that it's there.  I coached for one of the Slot-T gurus for several years - when I designed my "I" offense, it was pretty much all based around Slot-T theory ... I think if you look at Spread Offenses today, you will also see that it's evolved at the same rate ... and there are crossovers like Coastal Carolina last year - which I see they have evolved even more away from the "Full House" look after Liberty showed the world at the end of the season last year how to stuff it.

pure.jpg

5 hours ago, DOB said:

Technically, there is no "pure" Wing-T anymore - like all things it has been morphed and hybridized ... the Slot-T, has also seemed to evolved a little - but the Slot-T Mafia is seems a little more dedicated to the traditional approach ... and there are a few who blend the Slot and Wing together - off the top of my head, one that comes to mind is Essary at Athens - that was before they threw him under the bus even though he had won more games in his ten years there than the Hornets had won in the previous eighteen.

Most of the Wing-T theory in Texas evolved from the development of the "West Texas Wing-T" ... and like I said that has been expanded in scope a lot .... I watched PG a few years ago in the championship game - I think they lined up in the pure Wing-T about a half dozen times (always to run the Quick or Curl Trap) ... I watched Terrell this week - they were in the straight Wing-T only about a third of the time ... I'm not saying that evolution is a bad thing - only that it's there.  I coached for one of the Slot-T gurus for several years - when I designed my "I" offense, it was pretty much all based around Slot-T theory ... I think if you look at Spread Offenses today, you will also see that it's evolved at the same rate ... and there are crossovers like Coastal Carolina last year - which I see they have evolved even more away from the "Full House" look after Liberty showed the world at the end of the season last year how to stuff it.

pure.jpg

Very interesting. What would you call the version that Joaquin runs?

I am not a coach, not even close.  I love Gunter's offense.  To me the pistol spreads the gaps so the belly is a reach outside and the QB can pop it wide if he doesn't hand it off.  Everything is more wide open and the speed guys get the ball in space.   Also as mentioned, we have alot of plays where the the ball is thrown a soon as the ball comes to him.  None of this would work without the athletes, but is sure is pretty to me.

Just now, trueblue82 said:

Very interesting. What would you call the version that Joaquin runs?

I haven't seen them in the last few years, but I would say it's probably a hybrid.  A bunch of the staff came up under Gandy and I'm sure some of the philosophy behind Gandy's Double Wing is mixed in there somewhere ... If I remember correctly, Gandy had already been mixing some Slot with his vaulted Wing before he left ... gosh, I'm old enough to remember Gandy when he was at Huffman in the Eighties.

The Double Wing, in it self, can cause defenses a lot of issues (especially those who prefer use an unbalanced front) and Gandy got a lot out of it over the years.  I saw someone I know mix it with the Spread at Garrison and got a lot of mileage out of it ... it's hard to call a defense for the spread and then apply it to the Double Wing ... as a result, most people would "Omaha" to a front if the QB went under center ... usually that meant only one look vs the Dbl Wing - sure is easier to call plays when you know exactly where everyone is going to be on defense and what they're going to do.

Final observation - Lawson sure had big shoes to fill and he's filled them pretty well.  He had a good teacher.