Jump to content

Sideline to Sideline 4A Week 8 Show


Gsquared
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good show as always, boys!

One minor correction: Celina only has one loss, and that was Week 3 to Argyle. Celina was dealing with some health issues in that game, had some starters out and other key players not close to 100%. Worst offensive game I've seen from the Bobcats in a few years. BUT, also Argyle's defense is really, really good. Apart from that loss (in which, the Bobcats defense only gave up 16 points), Celina has rolled the rest of their schedule, including a really good Melissa team.

I think Grant is right about Aubrey. This was a big game for them. They were feeling good coming in undefeated and a year removed from beating Celina for the first time in nearly 30 years, and making it to the Region I semifinals. This was the chance for them to make a big statement, and to prove they belong on the big stage. Instead, Celina looked like the big brother. Bobcats dominated every single facet of the game and made a good Aubrey team look really, really bad and undisciplined. The Chaps were gassed by the start of the 3rd quarter, and they were starting to implode and quarrel amongst themselves.

That said, I still think Celina and Aubrey rematch for the Region I title come December.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coach Xs thoughts on Friday's Highway 5 chick-fight between Melissa & Anna were classic.  I can give my insight on Melissa's 0-2 start. I think in an earlier episode a couple weeks ago it was said Celina has a blow-out win over Melissa. That was not the case as it was 13-13 with 3 min left in the 3rd. The Bobcats are a very very talented and experienced team and they pulled away after that.

Frisco Memorial is not as bad as you made them out to be. They had a stud QB (that is now injured) 2 D1 WRs and a beast on the DL. Memorial is in the toughest 5A D2 district in TX and will likely finish in 5th out of 9 teams. They would be a sure playoff team in almost any other district. The Cards secondary got torched all night but the 58 not as bad as it appears, as they gave up a kickoff return for a TD and a pick 6 with less than a minute left in the game. The score was 35-35 with 2 min left in the 3rd. There were way too many penalties and poor coaching desions to go for it and not convert on 4th down on their own end of field multiple times.

In both these games Melissa just ran out of gas at the end, and the DBs made lot's of mistakes. You could flashes of a great team but it just wasn't all coming together. The Dallas Carter game was a bit of a turning point but hard to get too exited about playing a DISD team. Carter is far from a great team but they will likely finish the reg season 8-1 and Melissa absolutely demolished tham. At one point late in 3rd q Cards had outgained them 470 to negative 10. After the Heritage game it was clear Melissa was gelling and then Paris never had a chance. 

I think the only way melissa loses again this season is via the pass. I know Stephenville will be up to the task and Arygle appears to have made a successful QB change last week against Anna. Speaking of Anna they like to sling the ball around and so does Kaufman so those games could be interesting. 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Gsquared said:

Good show guys! I would only disagree about the gap between Gilmer and Carthage closing.  


Every week Gilmer offense has looked unstoppable, but when they played Carthage that defense made them look less than pedestrian.  The question was asked what will happen if they meet again? The same thing that happened last year when they met again on the biggest stage, a worse game.  Except that this year's Carthage offense most likely doesn't score 70.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Texski said:

Coach Xs thoughts on Friday's Highway 5 chick-fight between Melissa & Anna were classic.  I can give my insight on Melissa's 0-2 start. I think in an earlier episode a couple weeks ago it was said Celina has a blow-out win over Melissa. That was not the case as it was 13-13 with 3 min left in the 3rd. The Bobcats are a very very talented and experienced team and they pulled away after that.

Frisco Memorial is not as bad as you made them out to be. They had a stud QB (that is now injured) 2 D1 WRs and a beast on the DL. Memorial is in the toughest 5A D2 district in TX and will likely finish in 5th out of 9 teams. They would be a sure playoff team in almost any other district. The Cards secondary got torched all night but the 58 not as bad as it appears, as they gave up a kickoff return for a TD and a pick 6 with less than a minute left in the game. The score was 35-35 with 2 min left in the 3rd. There were way too many penalties and poor coaching desions to go for it and not convert on 4th down on their own end of field multiple times.

In both these games Melissa just ran out of gas at the end, and the DBs made lot's of mistakes. You could flashes of a great team but it just wasn't all coming together. The Dallas Carter game was a bit of a turning point but hard to get too exited about playing a DISD team. Carter is far from a great team but they will likely finish the reg season 8-1 and Melissa absolutely demolished tham. At one point late in 3rd q Cards had outgained them 470 to negative 10. After the Heritage game it was clear Melissa was gelling and then Paris never had a chance. 

I think the only way melissa loses again this season is via the pass. I know Stephenville will be up to the task and Arygle appears to have made a successful QB change last week against Anna. Speaking of Anna they like to sling the ball around and so does Kaufman so those games could be interesting. 

 

Yeah......Copeland definitely brings his experience and pure speedburner threat to the table under center, not to mention an excellent passing ability.  His accuracy looks to be great right away.......just give him 4 more games and see what you get.  Actually......Argyle really has 4 very capable QB's this season.....2 Srs. and 2 Jrs.  You can watch 3 of them in last week's MaxPreps Recap of the Anna game on the Argyle football MaxPreps.  The receivers will only get better with Copeland's ability to make the defense honor his running ability.......just like Lambert with Stephenville and Fennegan with Melissa.  Argyle's running game will also improve as the offense opens up.......Argyle has some experienced RB's that just need some seams to run through without the LB's there filling every hole.  Copeland will be a big difference maker at QB the rest of the way.   He's very very quick.......faster than Lambert and Fennegan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Yeah......Copeland definitely brings his experience and pure speedburner threat to the table under center, not to mention an excellent passing ability.  His accuracy looks to be great right away.......just give him 4 more games and see what you get.  Actually......Argyle really has 4 very capable QB's this season.....2 Srs. and 2 Jrs.  You can watch 3 of them in last week's MaxPreps Recap of the Anna game on the Argyle football MaxPreps.  The receivers will only get better with Copeland's ability to make the defense honor his running ability.......just like Lambert with Stephenville and Fennegan with Melissa.  Argyle's running game will also improve as the offense opens up.......Argyle has some experienced RB's that just need some seams to run through without the LB's there filling every hole.  Copeland will be a big difference maker at QB the rest of the way.   He's very very quick.......faster than Lambert and Fennegan.

Love the move of Copeland to QB for Argyle. Copeland can flat out fly. More often than not, he's going to be the fastest kid on the field. His athleticism is undeniable too. The other young men for Argyle did just fine, but Copeland brings a certain je ne sais quoi to the table. He's going to be able to make plays a lot of different ways for the Eagles. Completely changes the dynamic of their offense, in my opinion.

On the other side of that coin, though, it takes away a HUGE playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure he'll get time on that side of the ball too, but it's going to have to be sparingly, otherwise he'll just wear down late in games, and that's not what you want happening to your QB in those tight contests.

I'll be watching Copeland and the Eagles closely as they round out district. I think they're safely into the playoffs. And if this offensive move works out the way I think it does, we could be staring down the barrel of a doozy Region II semifinal matchup between Argyle and Stephenville.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Love the move of Copeland to QB for Argyle. Copeland can flat out fly. More often than not, he's going to be the fastest kid on the field. His athleticism is undeniable too. The other young men for Argyle did just fine, but Copeland brings a certain je ne sais quoi to the table. He's going to be able to make plays a lot of different ways for the Eagles. Completely changes the dynamic of their offense, in my opinion.

On the other side of that coin, though, it takes away a HUGE playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure he'll get time on that side of the ball too, but it's going to have to be sparingly, otherwise he'll just wear down late in games, and that's not what you want happening to your QB in those tight contests.

I'll be watching Copeland and the Eagles closely as they round out district. I think they're safely into the playoffs. And if this offensive move works out the way I think it does, we could be staring down the barrel of a doozy Region II semifinal matchup between Argyle and Stephenville.

I read that post and was so SURE that no one on Smoaky had ever used the phrase "je ne sais quoi" before.  Much to my surprise, in 2004 it was used in the Music/Pop Culture forum.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

I read that post and was so SURE that no one on Smoaky had ever used the phrase "je ne sais quoi" before.  Much to my surprise, in 2004 it was used in the Music/Pop Culture forum.  

Ha! Man, I was almost cool enough to have that "first and only" distinction. Just a touch too late.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Love the move of Copeland to QB for Argyle. Copeland can flat out fly. More often than not, he's going to be the fastest kid on the field. His athleticism is undeniable too. The other young men for Argyle did just fine, but Copeland brings a certain je ne sais quoi to the table. He's going to be able to make plays a lot of different ways for the Eagles. Completely changes the dynamic of their offense, in my opinion.

On the other side of that coin, though, it takes away a HUGE playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure he'll get time on that side of the ball too, but it's going to have to be sparingly, otherwise he'll just wear down late in games, and that's not what you want happening to your QB in those tight contests.

I'll be watching Copeland and the Eagles closely as they round out district. I think they're safely into the playoffs. And if this offensive move works out the way I think it does, we could be staring down the barrel of a doozy Region II semifinal matchup between Argyle and Stephenville.

Nah.......what the Argyle coaching staff did was put Robinson back at safety like he played last season, and then installed the seasoned Ohlemeier at the other safety for the rest of the season.......Argyle needs him to play there and not at QB........they have the QB depth already.  Robinson is really a very talented player in the defensive secondary and is further along at that position.......it's his natural position.  He brings his speed, athleticism and size back to that side of ball with no barriers in his way.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Nah.......what the Argyle coaching staff did was put Robinson back at safety like he played last season, and then installed the seasoned Ohlemeier at the other safety for the rest of the season.......Argyle needs him to play there and not at QB........they have the QB depth already.  Robinson is really a very talented player in the defensive secondary and is further along at that position.......it's his natural position.  He brings his speed, athleticism and size back to that side of ball with no barriers in his way.  

I now foresee both Feltons(Jaaqwan #19 and Jaamael #29) being used on offense like last week at the receiver position.  Both have jets and size(6-1/180ish) and both have excellent hands as well.  Argyle has problems most coaching staffs would love.......having talented players on the bench that should be starting.  It can be confusing, or at the least a little disheartening to decide who and when to play whom in a particular situation.  And then to have the other guy sit out when you know he deserves to be in there and may be a player that could make a big play for you at any time.

Actually.....Jaaqwan is bigger at 6-2/200 now.  But both are speedsters and juniors.  Jaaqwan was the one that returned the kickoff 85 yds against La Vega.  Both have long TD receptions this season, and both can catch anything close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...