Carthage @ Rusk

HearEmaGrowlin

3 minutes ago, ronstopable said:

Carthage is by far the better team but you are delusional if you think Rusk’s defense had nothing to do with Carthage’s offensive performance in the first half. We did well enough against the run to force passing situations gave enough different looks to cause the QB issues. Whether you want to admit it or not we’ve got a pretty good team and I guarantee we won’t be an  easy out in the playoffs. 

The Dawg QB threw the dang ball right to the defense with no receiver even close. He hit them right in their numbers.

Carthage had 422 yards in the game 212 passing and 210 rushing.

Rusk had minus 8 rushing and 130 passing.

10 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

China Springs runs the ball, nobody can or will run the ball on the Dawgs.

Now if we turn it over inside the 10 yard line on our side of the field then maybe a running team can score especially if the defense just came off the field.

The only teams that can beat the Dawgs with 3+ turnovers is Celina and Gilmer but it will still have be turnovers on our side of the field.

We are witnessing the best defense since Daingerfield in 4A. 

You are delusional.  

8 minutes ago, ronstopable said:

Carthage is by far the better team but you are delusional if you think Rusk’s defense had nothing to do with Carthage’s offensive performance in the first half. We did well enough against the run to force passing situations gave enough different looks to cause the QB issues. Whether you want to admit it or not we’ve got a pretty good team and I guarantee we won’t be an  easy out in the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

The Dawg QB threw the dang ball right to the defense with no receiver even close. He hit them right in their numbers.

Again, I did not see the game. Judging by the numbers alone it sounds like had Carthage not turned the ball over an absurd amount of times (idk what other team can do that and still win by multiple scores), then it’s another lopsided blowout. 

But that is not what happened. Sounds like the Rusk defense should be given some props for making the plays when the opportunities were given. How often do defenders drop INTs? Right to them or not. 

and then again props to the dominant Dog defense again for always carrying the weight of the team and cleaning up for the Offense problems. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Exactly! If the ball is tipped or forced in a tight window and gets picked it’s unfortunate but understandable. When a QB throws it right to a defender he either isn’t seeing the coverage and or he’s confused which is an indication of a defense doing their job. 

I don’t know where you get your stats but I’ll wait for official numbers. 

2 minutes ago, ronstopable said:

Exactly! If the ball is tipped or forced in a tight window and gets picked it’s unfortunate but understandable. When a QB throws it right to a defender he either isn’t seeing the coverage and or he’s confused which is an indication of a defense doing their job. 

I don’t know where you get your stats but I’ll wait for official numbers. 

Stats come from Kgas

27 minutes ago, ronstopable said:

I was impressed with Rusk's D.  BUT... we did roll up 400+ yards on them, even if we turned it over 7x.  Most was our fault,  some because of Rusk D.  I'm rooting for ya'll come playoff time!

23 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

You are delusional.  

Yes!

Turn the ball over 3 or 4 times (or 6 or 7) against WOS, CS, and a couple other teams in Region 3 and you are probably beat. After 2015 and 2016, I won’t put anything past this coaching staff. And it’s cool to be 7-0. That should be celebrated. But every Carthage fan with half a brain knows what championship elite FB looks like. I’ll just say for the 1st time we should all be happy Carthage is in DII. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Yes!

Turn the ball over 3 or 4 times (or 6 or 7) against WOS, CS, and a couple other teams in Region 3 and you are probably beat. After 2015 and 2016, I won’t put anything past this coaching staff. And it’s cool to be 7-0. That should be celebrated. But every Carthage fan with half a brain knows what championship elite FB looks like. I’ll just say for the 1st time we should all be happy Carthage is in DII. 

I totally agree about the DII part for sure but only because the offense is so young.

The defense is the best in all of 4A.

25 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

No running team is going to beat the Dawgs.

Carthage usually bails you out of your nonsense, but you might want to start to show a little humility. Last time people were talking like this was in 2018. How no “1-dimensional” team was going to beat Carthage. Liberty Hill went on to rush for 500+ yards and score 44 points. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Carthage usually bails you out of your nonsense, but you might want to start to show a little humility. Last time people were talking like this was in 2018. How no “1-dimensional” team was going to beat Carthage. Liberty Hill went on to rush for 500+ yards and score 44 points. 

No one will do that against this D,  but you're not wrong either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I totally agree about the DII part for sure but only because the offense is so young.

The defense is the best in all of 4A.

Last post on this. Nobody is disputing that. Maybe the best I have seen in person. But this is a team sport last time I checked. Carthage is Carthage for sure. If I had to bet money I would say they go undefeated and win a title. I would just hope that Carthage fans would know what an elite TEAM looks like and how they perform. That’s all I am saying. Surratt and Co are allowed to have a retooling year on offense. This is still a 4a DII program. They are not going to have an offense that executes like a NFL team every year. That’s ok. I just think we can show some humility when talking about the team this year.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, upullinmychain said:

It's that second half where teams get shakey tho 👀

Those Halftime Adjustments are amazing, to be sure. The Defense was great tonight, but even though Carthage had a few starters out, Vincent Cabada proved to be a darn good RB tonight, & as always, Montrel Hatten was true to form! Still, having said all of that, there still remains much work to be done with this worrisome Offense; 4 picks in one game would spell disaster for most teams, but somehow, Surratt’s Dawgs scored when the chips were down.

7 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Yes!

Carthage defense against Gilmer was awesome…..seemed all 11 was into the game mentally…….since then, have been some lapses…….one defender seems to be looking for the impact play only…….get back to same mental intensity as the Gilmer game and cut the turnovers down to 1 or 2 a game and ring #9 comes to Carthage. 
I have watched some of China S, and they like to run more than pass, but QB is pretty good slinging it and they got 2 dudes who are good 4A receivers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Turn the ball over 3+ times against China Springs anywhere on the field and they will be tough to beat.  China Springs is for real. 

my friend, them Brahmas of Belleville (who I personally think will be in regional finals ) are gonna be a  tough out for anyone(including Carthage.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JasperDawg said:

my friend, them Brahmas of Belleville (who I personally think will be in regional finals ) are gonna be a  tough out for anyone(including Carthage.

Bellville may be state champs but hard for me to judge them because they have not played anybody with a pulse yet. 

Surratt was highly disappointed in the postgame interview and took full responsibility for the poor performance on offense.

SS called it a garbage game, but a victory we’ll always celebrate.

For as inefficient as the offense was last night it still scored 35 points, and Hatten may be the best receiver in 4A. Other teams will find it very difficult to stop he and either QB combination. Then you run Paddie on go routes getting behind the defense. Not many teams have a pair of receivers like that. Then if Wade will start catching the ball with his hands those drops last night may turn into receptions.

The Dawgs were lacking their best RB last night so his return will be a little boost.

I am less concerned about the muffed punt and fumbles by Bell and Wade than I am the four interceptions thrown by Cuff.

The throws were directly to the defenders and were baffling, quite honestly.  Cuff has been pretty dang good this year overall, and last night was obviously his worst performance. 
Last night’s game does offer up more questions and dare we say more anxiousness we’ve had about our Bulldogs in a long time.

I still go back to the defense being the cornerstone of this team and being able to carry it to victory even when the offense puts it in bad positions like it did last night.  That goal line stand the Dawgs pulled off in the fourth quarter was a statement series.

People referencing CS and glad we’re not in D1 kind of irritates me, because our defense negates those ideas in my opinion.

We dang near shut out Gilmer who many folks believe may have the best offense in 4A-D2; we saw Carthage give a pretty solid Rusk team seven gift wrapped presents and still won 35-14.

Why should Carthage be glad it’s not in D1 this year, we still have our defense and I think it’d stop any offense in all of 4A?

I am definitely in agreement with BB12 in that we need to understand this year we do not have an offense like we’ve enjoyed the last two years led by Horton and Courtney. We are not remotely as efficient on offense as those teams yet and we may not get to that level this year, but we may not have to. Yet again, this offense has plenty of weapons that other teams do not and Cuff/Roq both can be very good.

Somebody said Cuff was exposed last night… Cuff still made some great throws (two of them Wade dropped) and the interceptions were not forced by Rusk no matter how badly our Rusk poster wants to believe it. Those were mistakes solely on Cuff misfiring or not seeing the defender. That last interception in the third quarter Cuff had Paddie wide open behind the defense running parallel to the seam and he badly under threw the ball and directly to the defender. That should’ve been an easy TD, but was an interception the defense was gifted. That’s not being exposed it’s unforced errors.

Summary, yes, there are tons of things to fix on offense, and we still have the best defense in 4A to lean on. Hopefully this was our worst offensive performance we’ll have this season and SS can get the mistakes completely eradicated.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a good post.  I was hopeful Cuff would be a little more accurate by now but we have to remember he has some big shoes to fill and it may not happen this year.  It was an aweful night and I'm sure it will worry SS but if anyone can get some kids on track it is him.  The offense can't gift really good teams because we know that great defense will eventually tire out.  This is also a time in the season when kids can lose focus which causes some upsets.  Protecting the ball is priority one so maybe this game will be a beneficial wake up call.  

Rusk has made big improvements and looked really good at times.  They just aren't up to Carthage caliber even on their worst day.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Gilmer minus 17 yards in the first half and 22 total yards rushing.

Jasper 56 total yards rushing.

Rusk minus 8 yards rushing.

No running team is going to beat the Dawgs.

a well balance team  might have a word about that i see a few when playoff comes around  might strutt there speed becouse by looking at yourtube   they might  have a problem   i said maybe

11 minutes ago, powerlifter said:

a well balance team  might have a word about that i see a few when playoff comes around  might strutt there speed becouse by looking at yourtube   they might  have a problem   i said maybe

You always love to talk about speed. Do you assume Carthage has none? 🤔😂

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Surratt was highly disappointed in the postgame interview and took full responsibility for the poor performance on offense.

SS called it a garbage game, but a victory we’ll always celebrate.

For as inefficient as the offense was last night it still scored 35 points, and Hatten may be the best receiver in 4A. Other teams will find it very difficult to stop he and either QB combination. Then you run Paddie on go routes getting behind the defense. Not many teams have a pair of receivers like that. Then if Wade will start catching the ball with his hands those drops last night may turn into receptions.

The Dawgs were lacking their best RB last night so his return will be a little boost.

I am less concerned about the muffed punt and fumbles by Bell and Wade than I am the four interceptions thrown by Cuff.

The throws were directly to the defenders and were baffling, quite honestly.  Cuff has been pretty dang good this year overall, and last night was obviously his worst performance. 
Last night’s game does offer up more questions and dare we say more anxiousness we’ve had about our Bulldogs in a long time.

I still go back to the defense being the cornerstone of this team and being able to carry it to victory even when the offense puts it in bad positions like it did last night.  That goal line stand the Dawgs pulled off in the fourth quarter was a statement series.

People referencing CS and glad we’re not in D1 kind of irritates me, because our defense negates those ideas in my opinion.

We dang near shut out Gilmer who many folks believe may have the best offense in 4A-D2; we saw Carthage give a pretty solid Rusk team seven gift wrapped presents and still won 35-14.

Why should Carthage be glad it’s not in D1 this year, we still have our defense and I think it’d stop any offense in all of 4A?

I am definitely in agreement with BB12 in that we need to understand this year we do not have an offense like we’ve enjoyed the last two years led by Horton and Courtney. We are not remotely as efficient on offense as those teams yet and we may not get to that level this year, but we may not have to. Yet again, this offense has plenty of weapons that other teams do not and Cuff/Roq both can be very good.

Somebody said Cuff was exposed last night… Cuff still made some great throws (two of them Wade dropped) and the interceptions were not forced by Rusk no matter how badly our Rusk poster wants to believe it. Those were mistakes solely on Cuff misfiring or not seeing the defender. That last interception in the third quarter Cuff had Paddie wide open behind the defense running parallel to the seam and he badly under threw the ball and directly to the defender. That should’ve been an easy TD, but was an interception the defense was gifted. That’s not being exposed it’s unforced errors.

Summary, yes, there are tons of things to fix on offense, and we still have the best defense in 4A to lean on. Hopefully this was our worst offensive performance we’ll have this season and SS can get the mistakes completely eradicated.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post. And I agree with what you said about 4A Div 1. Another thing id like to point out is that in the playoffs in the event of close games against tough opponents when we get to 4th and long situations deep in our own territory , SS will be willing to punt sometimes and let our defense dominate. We all know by this point that everything before the playoffs is essentially practice for the real deal. He doesn’t mind putting the defense in a hole if it means possibly converting and having more opportunities to work on the things the offense needs. The play calling tends to operate the same way. 

As far as the INTs, these guys just got to get better. Plain and simple. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Excellent post. And I agree with what you said about 4A Div 1. Another thing id like to point out is that in the playoffs in the event of close games against tough opponents when we get to 4th and long situations deep in our own territory , SS will be willing to punt sometimes and let our defense dominate. We all know by this point that everything before the playoffs is essentially practice for the real deal. He doesn’t mind putting the defense in a hole if it means possibly converting and having more opportunities to work on the things the offense needs. The play calling tends to operate the same way. 

As far as the INTs, these guys just got to get better. Plain and simple. 

Agree 100%.