Carthage @ Rusk

HearEmaGrowlin

Some of us have had too much kool-aid. If anybody thinks Carthage could execute on offense like it did last night and breeze through DI like it will in DII, all I can say is they need to take the homer lenses off.

But the statement about DI really doesn’t matter. Carthage is DII and will probably roll. Will be interesting to find out. Offense still has time to get better.

Just for some context: Carthage had a very talented team in 2012. They had an awesome OL. Defense had some studs that year. As talented as that team was they had one major problem, turnovers. They turned the ball over 14 times in 4 playoff games including a fumble with 3 minutes left on their own 20 that ended up giving EC a 29-25 lead with 2 minutes left in the state semi-finals.

Not at all running this years team down, just giving some of us some a different perspective.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:54 AM, mikehoncho said:

Excellent post. And I agree with what you said about 4A Div 1. Another thing id like to point out is that in the playoffs in the event of close games against tough opponents when we get to 4th and long situations deep in our own territory , SS will be willing to punt sometimes and let our defense dominate. We all know by this point that everything before the playoffs is essentially practice for the real deal. He doesn’t mind putting the defense in a hole if it means possibly converting and having more opportunities to work on the things the offense needs. The play calling tends to operate the same way. 

As far as the INTs, these guys just got to get better. Plain and simple. 

With Williams out last night on concussion protocols, Vincent Cabada performed very well in that role. When Williams returns, we will have two very good RB’s along with the 2-3 good pass receivers for our QB’s to go to; Surratt will have the INT issue resolved soon. Rusk was a very talented opponent last evening with a full compliment of talented players. The McCown brothers are a legit pass/catch duo along with the speed of #17, who picked a pair of Cuff’s errant throws off & returned them for decent yardage. If Carthage can pull all of the Offensive tools together in the next couple of weeks, I believe they will do fine; If they don’t , 🏆#9 won’t happen this year.... The Defense is Stellar!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Bellville may be state champs but hard for me to judge them because they have not played anybody with a pulse yet. 

cotton84 don't get wrong. I think CS is a good team that is very well coached.

they kicked our tail last year in 1st round. I have a question though.

what point does 31-34 (their opponents win/loss combined records) become a pulse, when Bellville opponents combined record of 26-38 is not a pulse?

7 minutes ago, JasperDawg said:

cotton84 don't get wrong. I think CS is a good team that is very well coached.

they kicked our tail last year in 1st round. I have a question though.

what point does 31-34 (their opponents win/loss combined records) become a pulse, when Bellville opponents combined record of 26-38 is not a pulse?

Atlanta was 0 - 5 at one point and won state one year.    Very tough non-district schedule…..  Brownwood is 3-5, but pretty competitive against some really good teams.  Records don’t always mean a whole lot. 

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Some of us have had too much kool-aid. If anybody thinks Carthage could execute on offense like it did last night and breeze through DI like it will in DII, all I can say is they need to take the homer lenses off.

But the statement about DI really doesn’t matter. Carthage is DII and will probably roll. Will be interesting to find out. Offense still has time to get better.

Just for some context: Carthage had a very talented team in 2012. They had an awesome OL. Defense had some studs that year. As talented as that team was they had one major problem, turnovers. They turned the ball over 14 times in 4 playoff games including a fumble with 3 minutes left on their own 20 that ended up giving EC a 29-25 lead with 2 minutes left in the state semi-finals.

Not at all running this years team down, just giving some of us some a different perspective.

I hear you, sure do hope we clean up the turnovers and penalties.

Carthage increases its win streak to 37 with this win against Rusk. The current 4a record is 40 held by Carthage and WO-S. Carthage should eclipse that this season. 40 games in a row is also tied for 9th all time any class. Looking ahead the 8th spot all time is 41 held by Hull-Daisetta and the 7th spot is held by Cuero at 44. The all time win streak is 68 held by Celina.

Another cool stat is Carthage and SLC are the only 2 programs in the state with 3 x 30+ game win streaks. If Carthage’s current win streak gets to 40 again they will be the only program in the history to TXHSFB with 2 or more 40 game win streaks. 

Carthage is also on a 49 game regular season win streak. With Allen, Argyle and Denton Ryan all having a regular season loss this year Carthage currently has the longest active regular season win streak in the state. Looks like they will finish the regular season winning 51 in a row. That will be tied for 9th all time with SLC from 2002-07. The current 4a record is 71 held by SLC from 1986-93. Allen holds the all time record at 84 which ended this year. That steak started in 2012.

Just a note because we all know where Carthage stands on championships. 8 is tied for 3rd place with SLC, Celina and Mart. Ahead of that it’s Katy with 9 and Aledo with 10. Will be a battle to pull ahead of Katy and Aledo. Like Carthage they keep winning. Scott Surratt is individually tied for 2nd place with G.A. Moore with 8 state titles. Ahead of them is Gordon Wood with 9. Fully expect SS to leave Carthage with that individual record.

Pretty impressive stuff. Probably the most impressive part of all of this is that it’s all happened since 2008.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Carthage increases its win streak to 37 with this win against Rusk. The current 4a record is 40 held by Carthage and WO-S. Carthage should eclipse that this season. 40 games in a row is also tied for 9th all time any class. Looking ahead the 8th spot all time is 41 held by Hull-Daisetta and the 7th spot is held by Cuero at 44. The all time win streak is 68 held by Celina.

Another cool stat is Carthage and SLC are the only 2 programs in the state with 3 x 30+ game win streaks. If Carthage’s current win streak gets to 40 again they will be the only program in the history to TXHSFB with 2 or more 40 game win streaks. 

Carthage is also on a 49 game regular season win streak. With Allen, Argyle and Denton Ryan all having a regular season loss this year Carthage currently has the longest active regular season win streak in the state. Looks like they will finish the regular season winning 51 in a row. That will be tied for 9th all time with SLC from 2002-07. The current 4a record is 71 held by SLC from 1986-93. Allen holds the all time record at 84 which ended this year. That steak started in 2012.

Just a note because we all know where Carthage stands on championships. 8 is tied for 3rd place with SLC, Celina and Mart. Ahead of that it’s Katy with 9 and Aledo with 10. Will be a battle to pull ahead of Katy and Aledo. Like Carthage they keep winning. Scott Surratt is individually tied for 2nd place with G.A. Moore with 8 state titles. Ahead of them is Gordon Wood with 9. Fully expect SS to leave Carthage with that individual record.

Pretty impressive stuff. Probably the most impressive part of all of this is that it’s all happened since 2008.

I’ve been reading all of your posts and it seems like you are so against Carthage and all of the achievements that they have made. You must be from Kilgore 😂Carthage will win state again 

• Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

I’ve been reading all of your posts and it seems like you are so against Carthage and all of the achievements that they have made. You must be from Kilgore 😂Carthage will win state again 

Ha, I think you know he’s a Carthage Bulldog he just wants Dawg fans to temper the unconditional praises we lavish upon our Bulldogs. 
He’s still very proud of the Dawgs just wants our fanbase to chill for a bit, don’t be too confident.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ha, I think you know he’s a Carthage Bulldog he just wants Dawg fans to temper the unconditional praises we lavish upon our Bulldogs. 
He’s still very proud of the Dawgs just wants our fanbase to chill for a bit, don’t be too confident.

I don’t think any Dawg fan is over confident with the offense turning the ball over like they do. Heck I am the biggest homer fan the Dawgs have and even I know as great as the Dawg defense is they can’t stay on the field all the time against good teams in the playoffs. The offense can go three or four and out as long as the defense can rest and the Dawgs can still win number 9. Just don’t turn the ball over on our side of the field. 

10 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

Against Carthage achievements? You gotta be joking. Dude, it’s obvious Carthage will win state this year. That’s not the point. Carthage is on a level of their own. They are competing to be the top pound for pound program in the state. Of course I am not against their achievements. Like Coach Surratt says every win should be celebrated. I’m just not gonna blindly say how great they did when they didn’t play to the standard they have set. I couldn’t be more for this program and what it’s done for this community.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Thanks for sharing; very good information.

• Like 1

I finally got to catch up and watch the game.  It wasn't as bad as I thought.  

The turnovers were obviously atrocious.  Fumbles were just sloppy as hell and the INTs could not have been more ugly.  Directly to the defenders.  Not sure what QB's deal was but he has got to get that under control, at least against the better teams we will end up playing.  Also... so many penalties.  

When the offense wasn't turning the ball over they were moving it each and every drive, running and passing well.  Just dont turn the ball over 5 times and we win every game comfortably.  

6 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I finally got to catch up and watch the game.  It wasn't as bad as I thought.  

The turnovers were obviously atrocious.  Fumbles were just sloppy as hell and the INTs could not have been more ugly.  Directly to the defenders.  Not sure what QB's deal was but he has got to get that under control, at least against the better teams we will end up playing.  Also... so many penalties.  

When the offense wasn't turning the ball over they were moving it each and every drive, running and passing well.  Just dont turn the ball over 5 times and we win every game comfortably.  

I heard through the grapevine that our QB was sick and trying to play through it.  Not Covid sick.  

Just now, JBizzle said:

I heard through the grapevine that our QB was sick and trying to play through it.  Not Covid sick.  

I have also heard that.  While I'm sure that doesn't help matters, I also just don't know how much it matters since he has had TO problems all year.  I want to be optimistic and have faith it wont happen when it matters most, but I just am not sold.  

3 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I have also heard that.  While I'm sure that doesn't help matters, I also just don't know how much it matters since he has had TO problems all year.  I want to be optimistic and have faith it wont happen when it matters most, but I just am not sold.  

I agree with what you are saying, but the interceptions had gotten better.  The one against Jasper was on the failed block by the receiver.  Also, there are several of them throughout the season that are on receivers running wrong routes.  Those are from Surratt directly on his Chalk Talk reviews.

I don't know that there is a single point of blame on the offense.  It appears to be an issue with all phases at times, and that is the real issue.  You can overcome poor play by a QB if the line, RBs, and WR's are all playing well.  It just seems like we have issues across the board in every game.  

I don't know what the stats are, but the turnovers are not limited to the QB only.

Just now, JBizzle said:

I agree with what you are saying, but the interceptions had gotten better.  The one against Jasper was on the failed block by the receiver.  Also, there are several of them throughout the season that are on receivers running wrong routes.  Those are from Surratt directly on his Chalk Talk reviews.

I don't know that there is a single point of blame on the offense.  It appears to be an issue with all phases at times, and that is the real issue.  You can overcome poor play by a QB if the line, RBs, and WR's are all playing well.  It just seems like we have issues across the board in every game.  

I don't know what the stats are, but the turnovers are not limited to the QB only.

I do not attend chalk talk and am not a coach.  I'm limited to what I see in the moment and on KGAS.  So on one hand that is good to know that at time's it hasn't all been on whichever QB is in at the time.  But on the other hand, not so good for the receivers to be running the wrong route.  

To clear up, I wasn't saying all the problems are only on the QB.  I did say I don't think this o-line is as good as previous iterations.  But I think the rbs and wrs and TE are talented enough that if we didn't commit so many turnovers we would be putting up a lot more points and giving up less.  

6 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I do not attend chalk talk and am not a coach.  I'm limited to what I see in the moment and on KGAS.  So on one hand that is good to know that at time's it hasn't all been on whichever QB is in at the time.  But on the other hand, not so good for the receivers to be running the wrong route.  

To clear up, I wasn't saying all the problems are only on the QB.  I did say I don't think this o-line is as good as previous iterations.  But I think the rbs and wrs and TE are talented enough that if we didn't commit so many turnovers we would be putting up a lot more points and giving up less.  

I'm not saying you were placing blame on any one position. I agree with you for the most part.  This offense is very demanding on all positions.  They have a lot of decisions to make on each play.  Protections, option routes, reads.  

Whatever the reason, the turnovers have to come down.  The only way you lose with this defense is by continuously putting them in bad spots and expecting them to hold good offenses to 14 points.

• Thanks 1