THE OFFICIAL SNAPSHOT DAY DISCUSSION THREAD

AtlantaFan04

i hear some rumors that the cutoff numbers will stay near the same or lower because of the pandemic i kinda tend to believe this because it would be crazy to make a wild cutoff between divisions right now due to some smaller schools having decreased enrollments now.

10 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

@LoboFan07 Do you have any of 7-5A D1 schools current enrollment numbers? 

Only the TEA numbers from last October.

Highland Park: 2,212
Longview: 2,147
McKinney North: 2,171
Sherman: 2,015
Tyler: 2,073
West Mesquite: 2,272
Wylie East: 2,223

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

Ok thanks. I saw on the 5A board were Wylie East has a current enrollment of 2468. Definitely can see Tyler high and Longview with Red oak, Lancaster, and the Mansfield schools 

3 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Ok thanks. I saw on the 5A board were Wylie East has a current enrollment of 2468. Definitely can see Tyler high and Longview with Red oak, Lancaster, and the Mansfield schools 

Yea, the TEA enrollments aren't going to be what we see turned into the UIL but they give us an idea at least.

Lancaster is going to be on that bubble for sure as well.

Longview/Red Oak/Mansfield ISD (there might only be one MISD team)/McKinney North/Highland Park maybe? It's gonna be interesting for sure if NF/RC go straight to 6A no doubt.

Excited just to see some numbers next week.

• Like 2

Everyone remember that the process for the UIL starts with deciding how many 6A teams they want. Usually around 225 (but that seems to be decided by where Highland Park falls, lol). Then they start grouping schools for districts in 5A, then 4A, etc. There is no "magic" number for enrollment. It all has to do with drawing lines for each district. Sometimes it makes more sense to keep a couple of schools up in a division to balance out a district  or two so that ends up being the cutoff enrollment number for that classification.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, maxjean said:

i hear some rumors that the cutoff numbers will stay near the same or lower because of the pandemic i kinda tend to believe this because it would be crazy to make a wild cutoff between divisions right now due to some smaller schools having decreased enrollments now.

I’ve heard the influx of people that have moved to Texas in the last 2 years will more than offset the pandemic stuff. Most schools are back at 85-90% capacity…, so when you add the growth you’re almost back to full capacity. The bottom line is they have to have a certain numbers of schools in each division. It’s just math. Massive algorithm. Historically, it’s been 40 to 80 students increase for a while. So, I would expect a minimum of 40 student increase.
But again, what drives the alignment are not individual school numbers, it’s how they fit the number of schools needed in each division. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I’ve heard the influx of people that have moved to Texas in the last 2 years will more than offset the pandemic stuff. Most schools are back at 85-90% capacity…, so when you add the growth you’re almost back to full capacity. The bottom line is they have to have a certain numbers of schools in each division. It’s just math. Massive algorithm. Historically, it’s been 40 to 80 students increase for a while. So, I would expect a minimum of 40 student increase.
But again, what drives the alignment are not individual school numbers, it’s how they fit the number of schools needed in each division. 

I agree im thinking a bigger jump then most think around a 40-50 increase.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, LoboFan07 said:

other schools:

Lufkin:2131

Royse City: 2048

North Forney:2043

Im thinking most of same district, minus West Mesq and Wylie East.   and adding Royse City and North Forney  

or most of same district minus West Mesq/Wylie East/Sherman....adding Lancaster/Red Oak, Royse City and North Forney.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:01 PM, hoopscoach17 said:

Everyone remember that the process for the UIL starts with deciding how many 6A teams they want. Usually around 225 (but that seems to be decided by where Highland Park falls, lol). Then they start grouping schools for districts in 5A, then 4A, etc. There is no "magic" number for enrollment. It all has to do with drawing lines for each district. Sometimes it makes more sense to keep a couple of schools up in a division to balance out a district  or two so that ends up being the cutoff enrollment number for that classification.

its usually around 245 or so for 6a and 5a give or take a 5 or so schools...And that give or take usually involves HP

• Like 1

The recommendation from UIL to the commissioner is that any school that allows homeschooled students to participate will be given a 20% "penalty" on their realignment numbers.  That may not matter to schools at the lower end of a classification, but any that are in the middle or upper part of their division/classification would have a hard time approving the non-school participation.  ex:  If a school has 100 students but allows home schoolers to participate, the recommendation would make them turn in 120.  The commissioner has not approved that yet, but that is the proposal.

• Wow 2

12 minutes ago, neveragain said:

The recommendation from UIL to the commissioner is that any school that allows homeschooled students to participate will be given a 20% "penalty" on their realignment numbers.  That may not matter to schools at the lower end of a classification, but any that are in the middle or upper part of their division/classification would have a hard time approving the non-school participation.  ex:  If a school has 100 students but allows home schoolers to participate, the recommendation would make them turn in 120.  The commissioner has not approved that yet, but that is the proposal.

That's a great idea. 

23 minutes ago, neveragain said:

Hmmm.   How common is this?  I know there are several programs just for homeschool kids like Tyler HEAT.  You also have Nike Dallas and DasCHE and many more in DFW area.

• RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to THE OFFICIAL SNAPSHOT DAY DISCUSSION THREAD