THE OFFICIAL SNAPSHOT DAY DISCUSSION THREAD

AtlantaFan04

These snap shot numbers are going to be all over the board. I predict a lot of surprises in the enrollment numbers. The state has seen quite a bit of growth in school age students, but the pandemic has had an impact in the manner parents are sending their children to schools. How many kids are being home schooled, enrolling in private or charter schools, or choosing virtual options. My Eight Ball is cloudy in forecasting enrollment and more importantly cutoff numbers.

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

What day does UIL usually release the snapshot numbers so we can all start wrongfully predicting what the cutoff and districts will look like.

Your best bet is going to be DCTF.  I'm sure they will begin updating numbers on their website beginning Friday.  I'm not sure if the UIL actually releases the numbers until the rank order is out.  

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

What day does UIL usually release the snapshot numbers so we can all start wrongfully predicting what the cutoff and districts will look like.

DCTF will have a page, at least in the past they did, that had all the numbers Stepp could collect.

UIL in recent alignments has released cut off numbers for each class in mid November I believe, and we usually confirm what schools are in what class by then.

Then official numbers and everything are released in February.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bordertown said:

These snap shot numbers are going to be all over the board. I predict a lot of surprises in the enrollment numbers. The state has seen quite a bit of growth in school age students, but the pandemic has had an impact in the manner parents are sending their children to schools. How many kids are being home schooled, enrolling in private or charter schools, or choosing virtual options. My Eight Ball is cloudy in forecasting enrollment and more importantly cutoff numbers.

I do substitute teaching in the Round Rock ISD and for a private school in Cedar Park. The private school in Cedar Park is getting flooded for requests to apply to attend that school (all grade levels)!! The schools I sub for in Round Rock have just about recovered to pre-Covid numbers but do seem to be a little down.

4 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Was reading this earlier......

https://t.co/31LAhX5Avc

Class 7A, other changes could be close for future UIL football alignments

Schools must submit their enrollment numbers for upcoming snapshot day, and close to 80 will have at least 3,000 students.

On Friday, schools across the state will submit their enrollment numbers to the UIL on Snapshot Day that will determine their classification in February’s biennial realignment.

This could be the last realignment that uses the current Class 6A-1A format.
With new schools continuing to open across Texas, deputy executive director Jamey Harrison said the UIL will look at several options that could change the landscape of high school sports in the state, potentially as early as the 2024-2026 realignment. One of those options is adding a Class 7A that would be comprised of the mega schools in the state.
Chatter about adding a Class 7A has been ongoing for at least the past couple of years.
“Unless there is some completely unforeseen reversal of growth in the state of Texas, I think it’s a mathematic certainty [there will be change],” Harrison said.
It could be the biggest change for UIL athletics since Class 5A was added in 1980 and the two-division playoff format for football was adopted for the highest classification in 1990. When the UIL created Class 6A starting with the 2014-15 school year, it just renamed the classifications instead of adding a new class.
Not all Dallas-area coaches are in favor of change.
“I think it’s good exactly like it is right now,” Plano East football coach Joey McCullough said.
Others aren’t sure that adding 7A is the best option.
For the current alignment, Class 6A is for schools with an enrollment of 2,200 and above, but it goes all the way up to Allen’s enrollment of 6,959. There are 245 football-playing schools in 6A, but only 77 of them (including 19 in the Dallas area) have an enrollment of more than 3,000.
Allen competes in a district that includes five schools with an enrollment under 2,900. The three Plano ISD schools, which have enrollments of 4,999 or above, are in a district with Flower Mound Marcus (3,094).
Passing period in at Allen High School can be a challenge with over 2500 students in the main hallway at one time.
“I think eventually the number of schools is going to dictate that we add a classification, but how we go about splitting that up to address the 6A enrollment disparity, I’m not really sure,” said Denton Guyer coach Rodney Webb, whose school of 2,639 competes in Allen’s district.
“Adding that [classification] gets the enrollment disparity issue answered, but then you are talking about a classification of very few schools. I don’t know how you go about districting those schools. The travel is going to be enormous by doing that, so I’m not sure that’s a good answer. You have schools like Midland and Odessa, and nobody else out there with an enrollment like that. You’re really just talking about a couple of schools in West Texas and then the metro areas.”
Of the 77 schools with over 3,000 students, 12 schools are in towns well beyond the reach of the five biggest metropolitan areas in the state (Austin, D-FW, El Paso, Houston and San Antonio). The five largest schools in the state are all in the Dallas area: Allen, Plano West, Plano East, Plano and Duncanville, according to the last realignment enrollment figures.
One thing that could be lost with the creation of 7A is traditional rivalries. Would the Arlington ISD or Keller ISD schools get split up? Would South Grand Prairie and Grand Prairie be in different classifications? Would there be no more District of Doom that included Duncanville, DeSoto and Cedar Hill?
Another option that Harrison said will be considered is keeping the current 6A format for the regular season, but then adding a third division for the playoffs in football. That would keep travel from becoming a major issue during the regular season and it would break off the largest schools for the playoffs. For sports other than football, it could mean splitting 6A into two divisions for the playoffs.
“You have to be careful about making the regular season irrelevant,” Webb said. “If you’re a mega school with 5,000 kids and you’re automatically going to go into the mega-school playoff, then the regular season becomes a moot point. If the regular season is going to mean something, then what do you do when a lot of those mega-enrollment schools don’t make the playoffs? How do you fill out the bracket?
“The solution to the problem is somehow creatively coming up with a way to divide it come playoff time.”
That plan would be similar to what the UIL currently does for Class 1A and 2A in baseball, softball and volleyball. They are combined into one classification in the regular season and then each class has its own playoff bracket.
“Some different model like that for 6A, some expansion of 6A and expansion of postseason brackets and divisions is part of the discussion, and then just a straight 7A will be a part of the discussion too,” Harrison said. “About the largest 250 schools are going to be 6A and about the next largest 250 schools are going to be 5A. As you have new schools across the state open in that same enrollment range, you crowd it, to where the smallest of those end up dropping in conference. Then you have some disparities in 4A. As schools have been added, that is why we are considering some kind of different model.”
Little Elm, a school of 2,269, is the smallest school in Allen’s district. Coach Kendrick Brown would like to see the UIL split 6A into two divisions before the start of the season — like is done in the other classifications — instead of waiting until the playoffs.
“That is a solution that I think would benefit everybody,” Brown said. “If not, you’ll always have a school like Little Elm — just because of where it’s located — paired with either Allen or Plano. There is really nowhere for Little Elm to go. It’s surrounded by big schools.”
Doing that could help a team like Rockwall by possibly placing it in Division II. When Webb was the coach there in 2019, Rockwall — a school with a current enrollment of just under 2,800 — had to play three schools with enrollments of over 3,500 during a run to the 6A Division I state semifinals. That included Allen and Duncanville (4,529).
The top four teams in each district already make the playoffs. Would creating a 7A, or adding a third division for the 6A playoffs, water down the postseason?
“I don’t think so,” Webb said. “Just by the sheer number of schools in our state, I’ve never felt like it was watered down. You’ve got 64 playoff teams in every classification, and there are a significant number of championship-caliber teams in every classification.”
If the UIL did create a 7A, how many schools would be in it? Harrison said it would be hard to do with fewer schools than are currently in Class 4A — the smallest 11-man football classification in terms of number of schools — which has 188 football-playing schools.
Would there be two divisions in 7A, like there are for the playoffs in every classification?
“If you have 250 schools in 7A, then two divisions makes a lot of sense,” Harrison said. “If you have some number substantially less, if you have 125 or 140, then having two divisions for the playoffs maybe doesn’t make as much sense.”
So there are still a lot of questions. The good news is there is plenty of time to answer them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

A combined 7A/6A for regular season then splitting at post season time is one of the most stupid proposals I've heard in my life.

I've always said that the only way to fix enrollment disparity in 6A is by making school districts build more schools.

Allen East and Duncanville North should've been here a long time ago....But, I guess you can't make a district build more schools if they don't want to, so the situation is dang near unfixable. 

Even if they pre-split or created 7A, you'd still have schools playing other schools with 2-3000 enrollment difference...which accomplishes nothing. lol

23 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Big note from @MattStepp over on the 5A Board..

Has North Forney at 2,303 and Forney High at 2,007.

So Longview/Tyler should have Forney High joining them in district next season at the very least.

The fact that both of those schools grew as much as they did in just 2 years, tells you how much the cutoff is about to go up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

A combined 7A/6A for regular season then splitting at post season time is one of the most stupid proposals I've heard in my life.

Probably because they can't come up with a solution to how widespread the districts would be. The 7A creation is going to be more complicated than some people think.

• Like 1

• RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to THE OFFICIAL SNAPSHOT DAY DISCUSSION THREAD
4 hours ago, ANTI said:

I've always said that the only way to fix enrollment disparity in 6A is by making school districts build more schools.

Allen East and Duncanville North should've been here a long time ago....But, I guess you can't make a district build more schools if they don't want to, so the situation is dang near unfixable. 

Even if they pre-split or created 7A, you'd still have schools playing other schools with 2-3000 enrollment difference...which accomplishes nothing. lol

yea, but the split would be much better. Nothing you can do about Allen, Plano, Duncanville, and the other few 5000+ schools.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

yea, but the split would be much better. Nothing you can do about Allen, Plano, Duncanville, and the other few 5000+ schools.  

If they would have put tyler high and Legacy together, like they were talking about. Tyler would have been in this discussion, also.

22 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

If they would have put tyler high and Legacy together, like they were talking about. Tyler would have been in this discussion, also.

if that was to ever happen, the school wouldn't reach 4000 because the Tyler area privates and charters would double in size.....lol.

15 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Was reading this earlier......

https://t.co/31LAhX5Avc

At some point, Allen will have to build another HS. I can't see them keeping this up. Too many kids and its going to hurt them more than help them. If I had a kid that was marginal Div.1 talent, I wouldn't send him there, because he probably wouldn't have the chance to develop or play. 

• Like 1