#8 Kaufman Lions(7-0/3-0) @ Paris Wildcats(4-3/2-2)

regaleagle

Here we go.......one of the big games in 4A D-1  District 7 tonight for both teams and for the rest of the district.  I'm sorry Paris fans.....I waited until gameday today to post this.  But this game is too important not to cover it on Smoaky.  I'm not sure if we have some Kaufman fans posting on Smoaky, but I know there are at least a couple of Paris fans here.  Regardless, this game should prove to be worthy of at least some interest to viewers of Smoaky.  IS Kaufman for real this season.......this game should tell us more tonight.  Kaufman had their Bye Week last week.......so they have had 2 weeks to prepare for this game tonight against the Paris Wildcats in Paris.  There will be no excuses from either team......Paris knows they need to win this game to stay in contention for a spot in the playoffs.......and certainly Kaufman has every reason to be the favorite in this game(according to DCTF rankings).  But I'm not so sure.

IF you just look at the records, most fans would naturally think that Kaufman should definitely win this game tonight against Paris.  Kaufman is undefeated on the season and  ranked #8 in 4A D-1 for the season, and surely must be able to handle a team like Paris that has 3 losses on the season and hanging on week to week just to stay in contention for a playoff spot in the district.  I'm like......WAIT A MINUTE.  Paris has 2 of their 3 losses to Celina and Melissa while Kaufman hasn't played teams of that quality yet.  Paris did drop a game to Anna 18-7, but that game easily could have gone the other way.  Kaufman did defeat a good Lindale team 39-36, but that was the very first week of the season.  And look how close that score was......could have gone either way also.

Both teams have the opportunity tonight to prove themselves as Contenders or Pretenders in District 7 tonight, and to stay alive for a playoff spot.  In all actuality.....Kaufman could very well lose all three of their remaining games and still secure one of the playoff spots.....depending on the results of how the other games in this district go in these next few weeks.  But Paris.......they really really need to win this game tonight for certain just to stay in the hunt.......that's just the way it is. 

Next week Kaufman will play Argyle in Kaufman, and the final week they will travel to Melissa to play.  Paris plays Argyle in their final district game in the final week at  Argyle, and has a non-district game scheduled next week with Wylie East.  So that's the deal.......this game tonight is very big for both teams going forward toward the playoffs.

Let me simplify things a little bit......IF Argyle and Melissa win out, AND Kaufman loses tonight to Paris......then Kaufman should still get the # 4 spot with a better record in district over Terrell, Anna, and Ranchview.  BUT.......their 3 district losses would tie them with Paris......and Paris will hold the head to head advantage for the # 3 spot.  Now if Paris loses tonight while Melissa and Argyle win out........then Kaufman definitely takes the #3 spot and the # 4 spot will still be undetermined depending on who wins the Terrell-Anna game that last week of the season. Anna defeated Paris 18-7, but Paris defeated Terrell 28-7 last week.  It could get dicey depending on how things go.

IF Paris wins tonight, and Kaufman loses out the next two weeks against Argyle and Melissa also.......BUT if Argyle loses to Terrell tonight or to Paris in the final week, then things could get even more complex.  And what happens if Argyle loses to Terrell tonight, beats Kaufman next week, and then loses to Paris in the final week, Huh?  OR....if Argyle loses to Kaufman and Paris?  I doubt it happens, but you never know.

The bottom line is you have the Wing-T Paris Wildcats against the spread of the Kaufman Lions.  I think both offenses will have success against the other.  It's the defenses of each team tonight where I think this ballgame will be won or lost.  Paris will shorten the game against Kaufman like Terrell did several weeks ago when Kaufman came back in the 4th quarter to win 28-21.  The game was really shortened by Terrell's predominately running game......they run the Wing T.   Against Paris, Terrell's Wing T was not that effective.  IF the Paris D can contain the Kaufman spread to a low-scoring first half, then I would say Paris has a very good chance to win this game.

• Like 1

This game is being live streamed on YouTube via Kaufman Roar TV.

Mistakes in the passing game and big plays by Paris are killing Kaufman.  If they get those cleaned up in the second half, they can still make up lost ground in a hurry.  Kaufman gets first possession after halftime.