Carthage at Madisonville

BevBrownJr

I expect the turnover number to come down...but then again, how could it not.  Weather is supposed to be a little breezy, so could play in to the passing game.  I still expect a couple turnovers.  And we have been really hard on the QB play with the INT's, but let us not forget there have been several fumbles.  Those things are pretty tough to clean up also.  

I think they give up a couple scores due to the turnovers, but still win going away.

I believe it will be a shut out unless it is a special teams score or a INT/fumble return for TD.  

But they could also turn it over a bunch and then all the predictions go out the window.  This offensive line and QB group is not up to the high standards that have been set by so many in this program.  The QB group more so than the o-line.  

I still think we win state this year because of the crazy good defense.  Only way they fall is if the offense turns the ball over like crazy (Such as against Crosby and Rusk) against one of the other top teams in the playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I believe it will be a shut out unless it is a special teams score or a INT/fumble return for TD.  

But they could also turn it over a bunch and then all the predictions go out the window.  This offensive line and QB group is not up to the high standards that have been set by so many in this program.  The QB group more so than the o-line.  

I still think we win state this year because of the crazy good defense.  Only way they fall is if the offense turns the ball over like crazy (Such as against Crosby and Rusk) against one of the other top teams in the playoffs. 

Obviously the goal in Carthage is to win state.  The comments by some Dawg fans on the QB groups not living up to the high standards of the previous groups kinda #### for the kids.  That’s why Surratt never compares one team to another and always says the 2008 team is most special because that’s when the run started.  Perhaps you guys should throttle it back a touch because it could be much worse.  Trust me on that.  I suspect some of the INT’s are a result of Surratt pushing the QB’s grasp of the offense and different route combinations vs defensive looks to find the top end of their knowledge.  Truth is the Dawgs can run vanilla right now through game 3 in the playoffs and win by 28+, but that may not be enough in December and Surratt knows it.  I’d wager that when the cards are on the table in December, Surratt won’t push the QB’s past their comfort zone thus making the QB’s look a lot better than they have been in the first 7 games.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Obviously the goal in Carthage is to win state.  The comments by some Dawg fans on the QB groups not living up to the high standards of the previous groups kinda #### for the kids.  That’s why Surratt never compares one team to another and always says the 2008 team is most special because that’s when the run started.  Perhaps you guys should throttle it back a touch because it could be much worse.  Trust me on that.  I suspect some of the INT’s are a result of Surratt pushing the QB’s grasp of the offense and different route combinations vs defensive looks to find the top end of their knowledge.  Truth is the Dawgs can run vanilla right now through game 3 in the playoffs and win by 28+, but that may not be enough in December and Surratt knows it.  I’d wager that when the cards are on the table in December, Surratt won’t push the QB’s past their comfort zone thus making the QB’s look a lot better than they have been in the first 7 games.

Trying to decide which route I want to go from here… do I be nice and say to myself “Now Mike… go easy on the kids” ? 

NO. If it #### for the QB group that ole Mikey Honcho is pooing on them, that means they are spending too much time on smoaky and not enough time working on not committing 13 turnovers next game. 

• LOL! 1

22 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

But in all seriousness I bet you are right about Surratt not pushing them outside their comfort zone if they still can’t handle it come that time. 

7 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Trying to decide which route I want to go from here… do I be nice and say to myself “Now Mike… go easy on the kids” ? 

NO. If it #### for the QB group that ole Mikey Honcho is pooing on them, that means they are spending too much time on smoaky and not enough time working on not committing 13 turnovers next game. 

Why don’t you come over to Longview Fri night and sit with me for our game vs Pitt?  I have a ticket on the 50 yard line with your name on it.  Maybe a new experience would help you get back to a better place.  I hate it that the Carthage QB’s have had an unusually high number of INT’s this year.  But if you step out of the “red haze” for a few hours and look from a different direction, you would see that life isn’t all that bad after all.  

Still #1 in 4A D2.  Still #1 in beasttexas poll vs all classes.  Still have the best D in all 4A D2.  Still on a 37 game win streak.  Committed 5 TO’s in one game and 7 in another and still win both games.  Likely will only face 1-2 teams the rest of the way with a puncher’s chance to challenge Carthage.  See where I am coming from Mike?

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

One thing to remember is it makes it a lot easier on the QB when you have an elite run game to open up the pass. The last 2 QB have had the luxury to have Keaontay Ingram and Mason Courtney in the backfield to lean on and an experienced OL, especially when the last 2 QB were junior 1st year starters. Remember in 2014 and 2015 the Dawgs struggled a little bit too. Once Keaontay was given more carries and kind of took over as the lead back in the playoffs all the sudden the offense and QB were as good as there was in the state. In Surratt’s offense being able to be balanced is critical. As the RB and the OL continue to develop you have to expect the passing game will improve along with the overall offense. This is still a very young group. The physical tools are there at QB and RB. Williams and Cabada have already improved a lot this season. I think Williams will be the man when he gets healthy.

With all that said 7 turnovers ain’t gonna get it. That’s not some controversial thing to say. Don’t think anybody has ran any of the kids down individually because there isn’t one person to point the finger at. There is no one person to blame. You want to see a fan base do that go to a Longview thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I expect game 3 of the playoffs to be the toughest team or 2nd toughest Carthage plays all year.........At least in the same category as Crosby.

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

One thing to remember is it makes it a lot easier on the QB when you have an elite run game to open up the pass. The last 2 QB have had the luxury to have Keaontay Ingram and Mason Courtney in the backfield to lean on and an experienced OL, especially when the last 2 QB were junior 1st year starters. Remember in 2014 and 2015 the Dawgs struggled a little bit too. Once Keaontay was given more carries and kind of took over as the lead back in the playoffs all the sudden the offense and QB were as good as there was in the state. In Surratt’s offense being able to be balanced is critical. As the RB and the OL continue to develop you have to expect the passing game will improve along with the overall offense. This is still a very young group. The physical tools are there at QB and RB. Williams and Cabada have already improved a lot this season. I think Williams will be the man when he gets healthy.

With all that said 7 turnovers ain’t gonna get it. That’s not some controversial thing to say. Don’t think anybody has ran any of the kids down individually because there isn’t one person to point the finger at. There is no one person to blame. You want to see a fan base do that go to a Longview thread. 

Starting with the 3rd game of the playoffs, I look for the second running back in the game, getting about 10 carries, to be one you didn't mention ------ hint: he can also be effective at the halfback pass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Why don’t you come over to Longview Fri night and sit with me for our game vs Pitt?  I have a ticket on the 50 yard line with your name on it.  Maybe a new experience would help you get back to a better place.  I hate it that the Carthage QB’s have had an unusually high number of INT’s this year.  But if you step out of the “red haze” for a few hours and look from a different direction, you would see that life isn’t all that bad after all.  

Still #1 in 4A D2.  Still #1 in beasttexas poll vs all classes.  Still have the best D in all 4A D2.  Still on a 37 game win streak.  Committed 5 TO’s in one game and 7 in another and still win both games.  Likely will only face 1-2 teams the rest of the way with a puncher’s chance to challenge Carthage.  See where I am coming from Mike?

It appears some are not picking up on my sarcasm and hilarity today.  I'll try you again tomorrow my friend, nothing but love ✊

I am only stating facts about the turnover rate and what's been shown on the field in comparison to other years.  

I hear that Madisonville seldom passes the ball & relies on their QB to run the ball; This plays into Carthage’s favor, because NOBODY is going to run on Preston’s Defense.
I believe this game will look much different than Carthage vs Rusk in several ways. Carthage has turned the ball over many times this season & still won handily. I expect better ball handling & few, if any picks by Madisonville’s Defense. In any case, I will be there to see it!🏈🏆👌

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

It appears some are not picking up on my sarcasm and hilarity today.  I'll try you again tomorrow my friend, nothing but love ✊

I am only stating facts about the turnover rate and what's been shown on the field in comparison to other years.  

Sorry my sarcasm meter isn’t working today.  My team is 3-5 with two must win games to make the playoffs as the 4th seed.  Not sure we can win both.  So as much as I want to feel sorry for you guys, I don’t.  

Just now, PantherNation2015 said:

Sorry my sarcasm meter isn’t working today.  My team is 3-5 with two must win games to make the playoffs as the 4th seed.  Not sure we can win both.  So as much as I want to feel sorry for you guys, I don’t.  

Lol I understand that completely.  I wouldn't feel sorry for us either.  But on the bright side, I've always assumed you had some Carthage ties and it was kind of one of those things where like when the Pro or College team I root for is knocked out of it, I pick another team to root for that year. 

54 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Lol I understand that completely.  I wouldn't feel sorry for us either.  But on the bright side, I've always assumed you had some Carthage ties and it was kind of one of those things where like when the Pro or College team I root for is knocked out of it, I pick another team to root for that year. 

I have followed Carthage for several years and had a chance to attend a few games.  It’s a real treat to see high school football executed at that level.

Carthage folk are the first to admit we are spoiled with this football program.  We also know what it takes to bring home a title.  There is little room for error and right now we see a little too many errors.  I haven't seen anyone be particularly harsh toward any one player and I think the coaches and players would all agree there have been too many turnovers and penalties.  The offense is still young and nobody expects a perfect game but I feel confident the coaching staff will in time put the kids in a position to take another championship.   

Yea, we are spoiled, but "we wouldn't have it any other way".

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

A “few games” means 50 or so, correct?

BevBrowm - I have seen enough games to form an opinion my friend.  And that is you guys are stretching to find something to talk about every week.  Y’all don’t have the same type of problems that the rest of us do.  😂

• LOL! 1

12 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

BevBrowm - I have seen enough games to form an opinion my friend.  And that is you guys are stretching to find something to talk about every week.  Y’all don’t have the same type of problems that the rest of us do.  😂

Annnnd, We Like it like that!😎

7 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

Well that escalated quickly....lol 

• LOL! 2

18 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Correction, best defense in all of 4A. 😊

18 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Although the Invite wasn’t offered to me, I still could not accept it for a couple of reasons; The first being it would conflict with my original plans for that evening, whichever evening it would fall on, mainly due to the fact that Carthage will still be playing football many weeks beyond Spring Hill’s season. Secondly, because as an aging Carthage Carthage Bulldog Fan, I can still vividly remember the days when Carthage wasn’t the Undisputed King of Texas High School Football! Therefore, until that day comes back around once more, & it certainly will, one day when Carthage is a “regular” football team, I would politely pass on the offer, were it extended my direction...😋