Texas Tech fires Matt Wells... UPDATE: hires Baylor asst. Joey McGuire

Red90fly

54 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

amazing how it became a political message about SA...every post becomes political ("they're liberal") for some...instead of just a message of great news for a local boy to move to another bigger job post or news that he'd stay put and keep building! 

by the way, there are great conservatives and liberals in every town...

Sorry bud. You liberals decided to make sports political. You wanted it, you got it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PelvisPresley said:

amazing how it became a political message about SA...every post becomes political ("they're liberal") for some...instead of just a message of great news for a local boy to move to another bigger job post or news that he'd stay put and keep building! 

Nobody FORCING you to read it....AND there is no such thing as a good liberal, much less a great one......

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

2 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

Completely missed the point.

• Mr. P changed the title to Texas Tech fires Matt Wells... UPDATE: Jeff Traylor interviewed
On 10/28/2021 at 10:58 AM, MavGrad99 said:

Exactly.  I stayed at one of the older historic hotels near the theatre.  It was 3-4 blocks (about a mile or so) from the conference center.  One morning, I decided to walk instead of waiting for the shuttle for my conference.  There were hundreds of homeless just on my street alone.  Note, that this street has access to at least 2 of the main entrances to the Riverwalk area.

Have you ever been to downtown Dallas or Ft Worth? Homeless problems are rampant there as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lions70 said:

I kinda hope Tech gets him. Good stepping stone to advance his career. If he gets it and does well then the sky the limit.

What is “does well”?  In just his third year of building his program Matt Wells has been fired with a 5-3 record.  

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

Have you ever been to downtown Dallas or Ft Worth? Homeless problems are rampant there as well.

Ft. Worth does not allow it on the main streets of the city.  I am not sure about Dallas, but also very liberal in their political policies when it comes to keeping the streets clean.  However, San Antonio is one of the worst I have seen in person.  

23 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Sorry bud. You liberals decided to make sports political. You wanted it, you got it. 

you liberals?

I've always been a Republican...

great thing about our country...you don't have to agree with every bonehead in office (either side, in any office) and you don't have to blindly agree with a policy or talking point. 

and because I'm a conservative and/or a Christian and I believe a certain thing and because that NORMALLY aligns itself with a party and it's stated tagline - I don't blindly punch that party ticket when I don't see actions that match up.

45 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yes...  he could do so much better. 

As I have said before, I don't believe that there will be a better Power 5 opening for him this year. He won't get Penn State or Iowa State--USC--Maybe Nebraska?--but being a bottom dweller in the Big Ten be any better than a bottom dweller in the Big 12? Could Miami open again? Maybe the Wake Forest guy gets a better job--Would that be better than Tech? 

I just don't see the dominoes dropping that well for him. Tech is still in Texas--the nation's best recruiting area, they usually play games in the Metroplex, gives them more exposure. Plus, the contract will probably be a pretty nice chunk of change. 

On the other side, can Tech be trusted not to fire him in 3 years, with a 5-3 record, especially when the last guys recruits are still juniors and seniors? 

3 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

you liberals?

I've always been a Republican...

great thing about our country...you don't have to agree with every bonehead in office (either side, in any office) and you don't have to blindly agree with a policy or talking point. 

and because I'm a conservative and/or a Christian and I believe a certain thing and because that NORMALLY aligns itself with a party and it's stated tagline - I don't blindly punch that party ticket when I don't see actions that match up.

Liberal policies are typically backed by some conservatives to make them hold true.  Same for conservative policies.  Assuming someone is a liberal based on their backing of a single move or policy is reckless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

What is “does well”?  In just his third year of building his program Matt Wells has been fired with a 5-3 record.  

I know, that's the scary thing...though I do think Jeff has the skill and personality to recruit Texas at a rate greater than Wells, Aranda or even Briles could and hopefully despite Lubbock's desolate area he can build a football power while he's there. 

1 minute ago, DannyZuco said:

As I have said before, I don't believe that there will be a better Power 5 opening for him this year. He won't get Penn State or Iowa State--USC--Maybe Nebraska?--but being a bottom dweller in the Big Ten be any better than a bottom dweller in the Big 12? Could Miami open again? Maybe the Wake Forest guy gets a better job--Would that be better than Tech? 

I just don't see the dominoes dropping that well for him. Tech is still in Texas--the nation's best recruiting area, they usually play games in the Metroplex, gives them more exposure. Plus, the contract will probably be a pretty nice chunk of change. 

On the other side, can Tech be trusted not to fire him in 3 years, with a 5-3 record, especially when the last guys recruits are still juniors and seniors? 

T Tech is not a bottom dweller... They are a 6-6 kind of school with the potential for 9-10 wins in a good year.  Especially in the new B12.  I don't love the job either.  The only way to get a better job from Tech is to string together consecutive 9-10 win seasons which we havent seen in a long time.

7 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

I'm already on record for holding to the "BearAnon" conspiracy theory that sends Traylor to Baylor. :tinfoil:

• LOL! 1

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

T Tech is not a bottom dweller... They are a 6-6 kind of school with the potential for 9-10 wins in a good year.  Especially in the new B12.  I don't love the job either.  The only way to get a better job from Tech is to string together consecutive 9-10 win seasons which we havent seen in a long time.

2010 Tommy Tuberville 8–5 3–5 5th (South) W TicketCity    
Big 12 Conference (2011–present)
2011 Tommy Tuberville 5–7 2–7 9th      
2012 Tommy Tuberville (7–5)
Chris Thomsen (1–0)
8–5 4–5 T-5th W Texas    
2013 Kliff Kingsbury 8–5 4–5 6th W Holiday    
2014 Kliff Kingsbury 4–8 2–7 8th      
2015 Kliff Kingsbury 7–6 4–5 T-5th L Texas    
2016 Kliff Kingsbury 5–7 3–6 T-6th      
2017 Kliff Kingsbury 6–7 3–6 7th L Birmingham    
2018 Kliff Kingsbury 5–7 3–6 T-7th      
2019 Matt Wells 4–8 2–7 9th      
2020 Matt Wells 4–6 3–6 8th      
2021 Matt Wells (5-3)
Sonny Cumbie (0–0)
5–3 2–3 6th

I will stand by my thoughts that Texas Tech is a bottom dweller. Over the past 10 years--above--is the record and place they finished in the Big 12--which only has 10 teams, meaning lower than 5th place is a bottom dweller. IMO. 

30% of the time, Texas Tech has finished at the bottom in the Top 5 of the Conference. 

70% of the time, they have finished in the bottom dwelling portion of the Conference. 

And over the past 10 years, their best season has been 8-5--and that with at least 1 of those wins coming against the likes of SFA. 

So I will stand by my decision to call Texas Tech a bottom dweller--which is not always bad, catfish are bottom dwellers and when fried correctly they taste great. LOL. 

3 minutes ago, LOL said:

I'm already on record for holding to the "BearAnon" conspiracy theory that sends Traylor to Baylor. :tinfoil:

I just don't believe that the Baylor coach will leave after this year. I really don't think that LSU will come a calling. I think Aranda will have to put 2-3 years of winning seasons together to get a Powerhouse Power 5 call. But if he wins out this year, maybe, but I think they have 3 wins left in them a Baylor. That's 9 wins in his second year, do that a 3rd year, then yes, a much more powerful school will come calling. 

2 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

I just don't believe that the Baylor coach will leave after this year. I really don't think that LSU will come a calling. I think Aranda will have to put 2-3 years of winning seasons together to get a Powerhouse Power 5 call. But if he wins out this year, maybe, but I think they have 3 wins left in them a Baylor. That's 9 wins in his second year, do that a 3rd year, then yes, a much more powerful school will come calling. 

When he beats OU and gets a CCG berth I bet LSU makes him an offer right then and there. 

• LOL! 1

2010 Tommy Tuberville 8–5 3–5 5th (South) W TicketCity    
Big 12 Conference (2011–present)
2011 Tommy Tuberville 5–7 2–7 9th      
2012 Tommy Tuberville (7–5)
Chris Thomsen (1–0)
8–5 4–5 T-5th W Texas    
2013 Kliff Kingsbury 8–5 4–5 6th W Holiday    
2014 Kliff Kingsbury 4–8 2–7 8th      
2015 Kliff Kingsbury 7–6 4–5 T-5th L Texas    
2016 Kliff Kingsbury 5–7 3–6 T-6th      
2017 Kliff Kingsbury 6–7 3–6 7th L Birmingham    
2018 Kliff Kingsbury 5–7 3–6 T-7th      
2019 Matt Wells 4–8 2–7 9th      
2020 Matt Wells 4–6 3–6 8th      
2021 Matt Wells (5-3)
Sonny Cumbie (0–0)
5–3 2–3 6th

I will stand by my thoughts that Texas Tech is a bottom dweller. Over the past 10 years--above--is the record and place they finished in the Big 12--which only has 10 teams, meaning lower than 5th place is a bottom dweller. IMO. 

30% of the time, Texas Tech has finished at the bottom in the Top 5 of the Conference. 

70% of the time, they have finished in the bottom dwelling portion of the Conference. 

And over the past 10 years, their best season has been 8-5--and that with at least 1 of those wins coming against the likes of SFA. 

So I will stand by my decision to call Texas Tech a bottom dweller--which is not always bad, catfish are bottom dwellers and when fried correctly they taste great. LOL. 

If you look at things in a finite way then, yes, anything below 5 is bottom half.  But if you are into statistical analysis and their way of thinking on a bell curve, 5-6 is the middle, 2-4, 7-9 are the are the 13.6% (or borderline middle) and 1 and 10 are the statistical outliers...  however, 6-8 wins is bowl eligible and a money maker.  The problem is that the bar is 8-10 and these past few guys love the hover around 5-7.

• Like 1

If LSU does not at least call Aranda, then they deserve to lose.

Aranda is what held Ed O and Less Miles together.  Joe Brady gets so much credit but they keep forgetting the guy who ran the unit that destroyed Georgia, Oklahoma, then Clemson to win that title.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

If you look at things in a finite way then, yes, anything below 5 is bottom half.  But if you are into statistical analysis and their way of thinking on a bell curve, 5-6 is the middle, 2-4, 7-9 are the are the 13.6% (or borderline middle) and 1 and 10 are the statistical outliers...  however, 6-8 wins is bowl eligible and a money maker.  The problem is that the bar is 8-10 and these past few guys love the hover around 5-7.

WOW.....some advanced mathematics makes an appearance in the College Forum......😂😂

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

1 minute ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

WOW.....some advanced mathematics makes an appearance in the College Forum......😂😂

Remember when I used to destroy @WETSUand Aggie fans with real statistics?  It's always been there, I just don't have the same amount of energy and free time that I used to :p 

• LOL! 2

• Mr. P changed the title to Texas Tech fires Matt Wells... UPDATE: hires Baylor asst. Joey McGuire