2021-22 NCAA Basketball 🏀 Thread

Coach Rab

The more I dig into this, the more I’m blown away A&M didn’t get in. I’m looking at teams that got in over them and it’s just mind blowing. Alabama being a good example. They got in got in after both A&M and Bama tied in the regular season conference record, A&M finished with 4 more wins overall, and A&M played for the conference tourney title while Bama was bounced first round. They split head to head. There’s just no metric you can use that puts Bama in the tourney, comfortable at that, yet leaves A&M out. Same argument can be made against Michigan, Iowa st and Wyoming. It’s just like the committee stopped watching basketball the first week of February and made a bracket and then just added the couple of mid major champs that go auto bids.  

15 hours ago, WETSU said:

It absolutely was good enough compared to Michigan, Iowa st, Wyoming and ND. That’s 4 at larges of the top of my head that were worse than A&M regular season and didn’t have the hot run late. 

I agree with you to an extent on what you’re saying, but ND got the benefit of the doubt with worse record, NET ranking and also lost a head to head against A&M. Just ridiculous. 

A&M losing 8 games in a row in conference is a tough hill to climb back up. I know they had a hot run at the end, but I think that is what got A&M out. Because I look at Michigan's schedule and you're right, I think A&M has a better resume but that 8 game losing streak is an eye sore. And unfortunately your performance in the conference tourney doesn't hold a ton of weight, which I understand but also kinda don't.

Not saying A&M shouldn't be in, but that's the only reason that makes sense to me as to why they are not. Real bummer though, that was a stellar end to SEC play for the Ags. I was shocked to see them not in after the past couple of weeks.

39 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

A&M losing 8 games in a row in conference is a tough hill to climb back up. I know they had a hot run at the end, but I think that is what got A&M out. Because I look at Michigan's schedule and you're right, I think A&M has a better resume but that 8 game losing streak is an eye sore. And unfortunately your performance in the conference tourney doesn't hold a ton of weight, which I understand but also kinda don't.

Not saying A&M shouldn't be in, but that's the only reason that makes sense to me as to why they are not. Real bummer though, that was a stellar end to SEC play for the Ags. I was shocked to see them not in after the past couple of weeks.

Losing 8 in a row or losing 8 over 16 games should not make a difference whatsoever. Like I said it’s pretty much that the committee stopped watching basketball in February. 

I also don’t understand the conference tourney perspective either. Are the games meaningful or not? I can’t stand how making a run in the conference tourney helps some teams but does nothing for others. Or how being beat out early hurts some teams but doesn’t matter for others. For instance Auburn losing to A&M is likely what kept them from being a 1 seed. But at the same time A&M beating Auburn didn’t do much to help their résumé. Both should hold equal value or none at all. 

You can’t say a body of work matters over the year then single out an 8 game stretch. If the 8 game losing streak matters than the 8 game hot steak to end the season should matter. Or if you disagree with that approach, then the entire season matters and A&M is easily more deserving than a ND, Iowa St, Wyoming etc…

17 hours ago, regaleagle said:

The Cougars draw a #5 Seed.......too high in my estimation from their total work thruout the season.  I think they should have been at worst a #4 Seed.  But they have a very good team......they should make it to the Sweet 16 for sure.  Maybe they come together and make it into the Elite 8.  Before their best two players were injured......they were 15-0 and smashing every opponent......it wasn't even close in any game.

They are riding that horse of momentum from last year getting that seed

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Oklahoma was snubbed too, but I have a hard time arguing about who the 68th best team was. 

Too many teams make it anyways.

I don’t simply because basketball is way different than football. Cinderella’s and hot teams make a run every year. 

I get the argument of if you want to make the dance don’t lose so many games, but when you’re talking about comparing 5-10 teams that all have very similar 20-10 type resumes and SOS you have to be consistent on what means more. Do we care more about the NET ranking or the conference record? Do we care about winning/losing streaks or do we care about overall records? I just think the committee should have to explain in detail every year what the criteria is and how it’s weighted. Because there isn’t a single metric available that has ND or Iowa st in over A&M yet here we are, both schools ADs on the committee and both in. 

I don’t think winning/losing streaks matter as much as quality wins. That’s what the committee looks at every year when it comes to teams on the bubble, quality wins. Take A&M and Alabama. Alabama had 5 wins against ranked opponents during the regular season to A&M’s 1. I believe that is why Alabama was selected and A&M wasn’t. 

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

Losing 8 in a row or losing 8 over 16 games should not make a difference whatsoever. Like I said it’s pretty much that the committee stopped watching basketball in February. 

I also don’t understand the conference tourney perspective either. Are the games meaningful or not? I can’t stand how making a run in the conference tourney helps some teams but does nothing for others. Or how being beat out early hurts some teams but doesn’t matter for others. For instance Auburn losing to A&M is likely what kept them from being a 1 seed. But at the same time A&M beating Auburn didn’t do much to help their résumé. Both should hold equal value or none at all. 

You can’t say a body of work matters over the year then single out an 8 game stretch. If the 8 game losing streak matters than the 8 game hot steak to end the season should matter. Or if you disagree with that approach, then the entire season matters and A&M is easily more deserving than a ND, Iowa St, Wyoming etc…

I hear ya. Just trying to figure out what the exact reasoning was and that's all I could come up with. But yeah the conference tournament thing needs to be figured out. It's like they already had their minds made up 2 weeks ago. Texas getting bounced in the first round maybe dropped them from a 5 to a 6 seed. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I don’t think winning/losing streaks matter as much as quality wins. That’s what the committee looks at every year when it comes to teams on the bubble, quality wins. Take A&M and Alabama. Alabama had 5 wins against ranked opponents during the regular season to A&M’s 1. I believe that is why Alabama was selected and A&M wasn’t. 

I’m cool with Bama getting in. My gripe is ND. ND had few Quad 1 wins, a lower NET ranking, fewer wins overall and lost a head to head with A&M on a neutral court. There’s absolutely no way ND is in this tournament and A&M is out. There’s not a single factor pointing towards it. 

52 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I hear ya. Just trying to figure out what the exact reasoning was and that's all I could come up with. But yeah the conference tournament thing needs to be figured out. It's like they already had their minds made up 2 weeks ago. Texas getting bounced in the first round maybe dropped them from a 5 to a 6 seed. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It really doesn’t. I just want consistency and transparency. If you can just give those two things I’m 100% okay with getting left out. At the end of the day don’t put it in question. But it’s hard not to be salty watching teams like ND get to go dancing when honestly I feel like A&M likely beats 2/3 of the field on a neutral court if they played tomorrow… Getting this hot this late should mean something. Just my opinion. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

I’m cool with Bama getting in. My gripe is ND. ND had few Quad 1 wins, a lower NET ranking, fewer wins overall and lost a head to head with A&M on a neutral court. There’s absolutely no way ND is in this tournament and A&M is out. There’s not a single factor pointing towards it. 

ND and Michigan were the two I didn’t understand. 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

ND and Michigan were the two I didn’t understand. 

Agreed. Michigan only won 17 games… I’ve never seen a team that wasn’t a surprise automatic qualifier only win 17 games and get in. 

9 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

We were a top 50 team most of the year. Got upset during our conference tournament and now a number 2 seed in the NIT. Kind of a let down after winning 15 in a row.

Another reason why the whole idea of a conference tournament is stupid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Another reason why the whole idea of a conference tournament is stupid.

I like the conference tournament I just want them to be consistent with how they view it. Does it matter or does it not? We can just enjoy watching it if it doesn’t matter. Or we can watch it intensely if it does. 

I also like it because it gets teams in that tournament mode before the real thing. 

19 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

We were a top 50 team most of the year. Got upset during our conference tournament and now a number 2 seed in the NIT. Kind of a let down after winning 15 in a row.

At least you got a NIT invite...SFA and Seattle were co-champs with NMSU, and neither got a NIT invitation...Now SFA is a #4 seed in the CBI Tournament.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WETSU said:

I like the conference tournament I just want them to be consistent with how they view it. Does it matter or does it not? We can just enjoy watching it if it doesn’t matter. Or we can watch it intensely if it does. 

I also like it because it gets teams in that tournament mode before the real thing. 

I think the automatic bid should be based upon the regular season. 

That is why I am against the conference tournaments.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, Valhalla said:

I think the automatic bid should be based upon the regular season. 

That is why I am against the conference tournaments.

I’m not against every conference getting 2 bids. Regular season + tournament winner/2nd place.  Although, It would take away some of the lore of the at-large bid and make the tournament as a whole a bit weaker.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:47 AM, MavGrad99 said:

They are riding that horse of momentum from last year getting that seed

You are wrong on this one.  They were ranked #6  until their two top players went out with season-ending injuries.  Then they lost 2 in a row until Kelvin Sampson retooled them back into a new starting 5 about mid-season.  Now they appear to be playing back at a high level without those two best players. They will be a tough out for whoever they play in the tournament.             Regarding the Houston Cougars......

All 6 Big 12 teams won their opening round games.  Baylor lost to North Carolina in overtime in the opening 2nd round of games today after overcoming a 25-point deficit to tie it in regulation. They had nothing left for overtime and lost.  They were a #1 Seed and did not come out looking like it, but in the end showed their quality.  At least their loss was such that they were able to keep their heads high despite being bounced from the tournament in the 2nd round to a worthy opponent.  Kansas advanced in their 2nd round game today over Creighton.....they are also a #1 Seed in the tournament.

I was really pulling for Davidson against Michigan State......they should have won and just blew it at the end.  Michigan is a #11 Seed playing a #3 Seed Tennessee today in Round Two.  Tennessee has been hot coming into this tournament and looks pretty darn good to me.  Rick Barnes is their coach......just to let you know.  Texas should have never let him go, IMHO.

40 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I was really pulling for Davidson against Michigan State......they should have won and just blew it at the end.  Michigan is a #11 Seed playing a #3 Seed Tennessee today in Round Two.  Tennessee has been hot coming into this tournament and looks pretty darn good to me.  Rick Barnes is their coach......just to let you know.  Texas should have never let him go, IMHO.

Michigan this year is the reason why I hate the tournament.

They didn’t deserve to be there, but now they get hot for a weekend and make it to the Sweet 16.

• Like 1