2021-22 NCAA Basketball 🏀 Thread

Coach Rab

I watched the replay this morning of the Duke/Tech game. The Red Raiders just made too many unforced errors at the end with bad passes and missed opportunities on their end by taking too many shots inside when there was no way to NOT get the shot blocked by those tall dudes.  They could have easily gone back outside on many shots to open guys. And then some of those shorter shots at midrange missed also.......they just did not execute at all at their end offensively.  And forget about getting rebounds at the end......it was all Duke.  Tech's D kept them close, but tons of missed opportunities and one bad call sunk their ship.......literally.  On the other hand......Duke converted many of those opportunities at the end, got a favorable big call for a foul, and got so many rebounds. They made their free throws and did not turn the ball over.  And that was the difference.  Tech definitely had plenty of chances to win......so I'm not so sure that Duke can win next week.....even with all those tall dudes.

12 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I watched the replay this morning of the Duke/Tech game. The Red Raiders just made too many unforced errors at the end with bad passes and missed opportunities on their end by taking too many shots inside when there was no way to NOT get the shot blocked by those tall dudes.  They could have easily gone back outside on many shots to open guys. And then some of those shorter shots at midrange missed also.......they just did not execute at all at their end offensively.  And forget about getting rebounds at the end......it was all Duke.  Tech's D kept them close, but tons of missed opportunities and one bad call sunk their ship.......literally.  On the other hand......Duke converted many of those opportunities at the end, got a favorable big call for a foul, and got so many rebounds. They made their free throws and did not turn the ball over.  And that was the difference.  Tech definitely had plenty of chances to win......so I'm not so sure that Duke can win next week.....even with all those tall dudes.

I was at a baseball game.  The guys on the radio raved about how it was a great game to watch

Cinderella Saint Peters plays those Purdue Boilermakers even and pulls out the victory at the end.  I don't know when was the last time a #15 Seed played in the Sweet 16 and then advanced to the Elite 8......but a big congrats to Saint Peters from New Jersey.  They are a private school with only an enrollment of 3500......about the size of a 6A Texas high school.

Miami takes down Iowa State in impressive fashion the last 6 min. 70-56.  Miami is a #10 Seed(they don't play like it) and Iowa State was an #11 Seed.....both playing in the Sweet 16.  For some reason the Committee put the Hurricanes at a #10 and they sure haven't played like it the whole tournament.

Houston vs Villanova in San Antonio should be Standing Room Only for that one.......and finally Houston will have the home court crowd.  I just hope they play up to their potential......because they do have all kinds of potential to win the whole enchilada this season.  They are my pick to hoist the trophy.

So it will be Duke vs Arkansas.....most people have Duke winning that one, but I'm not so sure.  North Carolina should be able to dispense with Saint Peters.....most probably the end of the road for the Cinderella Peacocks from New Jersey.  Kansas vs Miami???  Yeah....give me Kansas to win.....even though Miami has played stellar in this tournament. I must admit the Hurricanes look very impressive.  And finally the big game.......Houston vs Villanova.  Just gotta go with those Coogs, folks......they have the mojo and the players.  Not as tall inside as a Duke or North Carolina......but more horses overall.

So it looks like my picks are Arkansas to meet North Carolina and Kansas to meet Houston in the Final Four.  Most people are going with Duke over Arkansas......and that could very well happen.  Not sure about Villanova.....they are just very well coached and a very disciplined basketball team year in and year out.  But the Coogs can be flat out in your face good and are also very athletic.  Their point guard Jamal Shead is really something and makes their offense work.  He's a soph from Manor Texas and was on the depth chart as the 5th guard last season when Houston went to the final four.  They will try to repeat this season in a big game against Nova on Saturday in San Antonio. Tipoff will be 5 pm Central and followed by the Duke-Arkansas battle Saturday night.

And down goes the Cougars.......total freeze offensively.  Villanova advances as Houston misses 19 out of 20 3-pointers on the night......their absolute worst offensive game of the season.  And it wasn't Villanova......the Cougars just couldn't hit the broad side of their Red-Letter Cougars nameplate tonight......none of them.  It's not supposed to happen in a game this big to anybody.......but it did to the Cougars with a Texas "home" crowd in disbelief.  50-46 in a low-scoring affair that Houston was able to play  some defense and get some turnovers.  Houston just did not knock down their shots and lost because of it.  Good Season Houston......but you had your worst offensive game of the season at the wrong time.  Ice cold on the court and now Ice cold in the locker room. It's tough to lose, but even tougher when you know you helped your opponent immensely.

15 hours ago, WETSU said:

Been a while since we’ve seen star power like Duke, Kansas and UNC all in the same final 4. I’m of course rooting for Duke hoping to see coach K get one more on his way out. 

I’m just glad he had a good team for last year. 

It would have been unfortunate to spend his last year being sick or having some ailment like he does when he teams aren’t good.

• LOL! 4

8 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I’m just glad he had a good team for last year. 

It would have been unfortunate to spend his last year being sick or having some ailment like he does when he teams aren’t good.

It would make my day for UNC to win a National Title in coach k’s final year while knocking Duke out of the tournament 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Per SI....

Jay Wright is retiring at Villanova… the latest in a massive changing of the guard in college basketball. 

Many coaches expected Wright to help lead the profession with Coach K, Roy retiring. Instead, Jay’s joining them. https://t.co/Z1oOHnL1SD

Fordham University coach Kyle Neptune is expected to be the choice to succeed two-time NCAA champion Jay Wright as the new head coach of Villanova, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.