Marine Veteran Wears 'Let's Go Brandon' Shirt to Receive Valor Award

RETIREDFAN1

35 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

For my two cents, I think it is an incredibly disrespectful action toward his Commander In Chief and that instead of an award, he should ordered to complete a 10 mile walk with a high colonic (MASH reference) for being especially lame. 

Barry, the special needs practical joker - on his high horse today.  Hilarious!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

For my two cents, I think it is an incredibly disrespectful action toward his Commander In Chief and that instead of an award, he should ordered to complete a 10 mile walk with a high colonic (MASH reference) for being especially lame. 

Biden disrespected and dishonored our troops with his poorly planned withdrawal from Afghanistan.  And I am not against him ending that era of "war" or whatever, but he was just like "let's do it.  How?  I don't care.  Just leave."  Any competent president would have had a plan to safely withdraw and not leave behind the weapons and people that they did.  It's a complete disrespect and showing of incompetence we have in leadership right now.  Also how easily the Taliban took over everything that was secured for so long, also shows how little has been done to maintain these "wins" have been from George W. Bush until now with Brandon as our sitting president.  The United States is an embarrassment to the world right now.  

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

Really? Why not a gazillion times??? And, who is teaching that anywhere in an elementary school? 

They tried in Aledo...  we shut that crap down fast...  Pretty sure our Supertintendent and whoever recommended that trash will be toast after this school year.

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

Biden disrespected and dishonored our troops with his poorly planned withdrawal from Afghanistan. 

I disagree completely that it was about disrespect and dishonoring our troops, and while the buck stops with him, that situation was rolling down hill for 20 years. You can't tell me with certainty that Trump would have done a better job. There was no prior proof of that, at all, if you look at Syria. 

8 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

How so? Please elaborate. 

there was a proposed "cultural appropriation" or cultural sensitivity course proposed and implemented about 10 days before school started.  Teachers were trained on the basics of it.  3 days before school started, they e-mailed us parents the curriculum in it.  It said specifically in it specifically that all people, especially white people, are inherently racists whether they know it or not.  It also had a chapter in it about acceptance of all genders and associations.  Because it costed less than $10k, the Supt did not need board approval or review to try and sneak that through.  I am guessing that most of this was in response to the freshmen baseball team's slave auction last spring...if I find the email, I will post it later.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

there was a proposed "cultural appropriation" or cultural sensitivity course proposed and implemented about 10 days before school started.  Teachers were trained on the basics of it.  3 days before school started, they e-mailed us parents the curriculum in it.  It said specifically in it specifically that all people, especially white people, are inherently racists whether they know it or not.  It also had a chapter in it about acceptance of all genders and associations.  Because it costed less than $10k, the Supt did not need board approval or review to try and sneak that through.  I am guessing that most of this was in response to the freshmen baseball team's slave auction last spring...if I find the email, I will post it later.

It sounds like to me that the superintendent was trying to show responsiveness to a bad incident that might be indicative of deep rooted issues. I am no stranger to Aledo, and I have had and do have friends who have worked in the district, and I am not saying it is a den of inequity, but it could definitely be seen as lacking inclusivity to certain demographics, in my opinion. 

And, I am reminded, as a Baptist in background, that faith isn't really faith, unless it is tested, so I am of the stance that being presented other views isn't threatening, but could be an opportunity  to learn or have prior beliefs further strengthened. 

From a practicality standpoint, every single student who doesn't feel safe, secure and supported at school isn't going to learn to their capability. That's been my experience, at least. 

1 minute ago, BarryLaverty said:

It sounds like to me that the superintendent was trying to show responsiveness to a bad incident that might be indicative of deep rooted issues. I am no stranger to Aledo, and I have had and do have friends who have worked in the district, and I am not saying it is a den of inequity, but it could definitely be seen as lacking inclusivity to certain demographics, in my opinion. 

And, I am reminded, as a Baptist in background, that faith isn't really faith, unless it is tested, so I am of the stance that being presented other views isn't threatening, but could be an opportunity  to learn or have prior beliefs further strengthened. 

From a practicality standpoint, every single student who doesn't feel safe, secure and supported at school isn't going to learn to their capability. That's been my experience, at least. 

How are my 5 children in Aledo schools supposed to feel safe, secure, and supported if they are being taught that they are racist and homophobic because the color of their skin is white and their faith is in Jesus Christ?

• Thanks 1

Dear Bearcat Parents/Guardians and Staff:

Today, we shared a login for the Character Strong curriculum that the district was planning to use with students starting this fall to meet a state mandate for implementation of a character education program. It appears that Character Strong included with the login a list of definitions that were never part of the intended character education curriculum to be implemented by the district and not part of the district’s agreement with the company.

Due to the inclusion of content that was not agreed upon by the district but that Character Strong made accessible through the login, we have made the decision to discontinue our planned use of Character Strong and to cancel payment for the program.

While we still believe the character traits that we intended to focus on this school year - courage, respect, perseverance, gratitude, honesty, kindness, empathy, responsibility, cooperation and creativity - are important, we will get the school year started and revisit finding a program that meets the state’s character education mandate at a later date.

Truly,
Susan

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Dear Bearcat Parents/Guardians and Staff:

Today, we shared a login for the Character Strong curriculum that the district was planning to use with students starting this fall to meet a state mandate for implementation of a character education program. It appears that Character Strong included with the login a list of definitions that were never part of the intended character education curriculum to be implemented by the district and not part of the district’s agreement with the company.

Due to the inclusion of content that was not agreed upon by the district but that Character Strong made accessible through the login, we have made the decision to discontinue our planned use of Character Strong and to cancel payment for the program.

While we still believe the character traits that we intended to focus on this school year - courage, respect, perseverance, gratitude, honesty, kindness, empathy, responsibility, cooperation and creativity - are important, we will get the school year started and revisit finding a program that meets the state’s character education mandate at a later date.

Truly,
Susan

This was after it was implemented and 5 different board members got on the Aledo community facebook page denouncing her actions, then a board meeting where they completely changed the policies that allowed her to bypass them.  This was completely irresponsible, much like Joe Biden has been.  Even if it was just an oversight on her part, she was promoting racism as a response to racism and should have lost her job on the spot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

How are my 5 children in Aledo schools supposed to feel safe, secure, and supported if they are being taught that they are racist and homophobic because the color of their skin is white and their faith is in Jesus Christ?

I don't think it is the school's job to toss aside anyone's beliefs, and so if presented with ideas about being tolerant and accepting of others, they can choose to accept it or not. It's not that complicated for me that it would get in the way of my kid getting her math done and getting her project turned in on time. 

I don't think it is the school's job to toss aside anyone's beliefs, and so if presented with ideas about being tolerant and accepting of others, they can choose to accept it or not. It's not that complicated for me that it would get in the way of my kid getting her math done and getting her project turned in on time. 

Maybe you are missing what I am saying.  That particular curriculum specifically calls out white people of being unknowingly racist.  So if this "different idea" is presented and we can "choose to accept it,"  how is it any different of an opposing viewpoint.  Let's say white power clan rally guy wants to indoctrinate us all about how all black people are bad criminals, and if they aren't currently bad, they have that gene to turn bad.  Let's add that into the school and let people choose.  It's literally the same idea.  You are psychologically trying to manipulate our children with this BS.  Teach history, teach math, teach science, teach english, spanish etc... leave all of the other BS to parents.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

We have been doing Character Strong in my district, and we are not a big, liberal district, by any stretch, and I have heard zero complaints about it. 

Because your parents didn't review the curriculum, or either they are just as liberal as you are in their beliefs.  Which is totally fine.  That crap shouldn't be taught in schools though.  Looking at State-wide STAAR testing, there could be better use of our time...

Maybe you are missing what I am saying.  That particular curriculum specifically calls out white people of being unknowingly racist.  So if this "different idea" is presented and we can "choose to accept it,"  how is it any different of an opposing viewpoint.  Let's say white power clan rally guy wants to indoctrinate us all about how all black people are bad criminals, and if they aren't currently bad, they have that gene to turn bad.  Let's add that into the school and let people choose.  It's literally the same idea.  You are psychologically trying to manipulate our children with this BS.  Teach history, teach math, teach science, teach english, spanish etc... leave all of the other BS to parents.

I can promise you that the political leanings and religious beliefs of my children haven't been reinforced or affected by the school district 1/100th to the degree that their family and friends and the WorldWideWeb have done. I would be willing to bet that yours are the same. 

Because your parents didn't review the curriculum, or either they are just as liberal as you are in their beliefs.  Which is totally fine.  That #### shouldn't be taught in schools though.  Looking at State-wide STAAR testing, there could be better use of our time...

The state mandates it, so we have to do it. Change Austin, and that could be tossed out. 

I can promise you that the political leanings and religious beliefs of my children haven't been reinforced or affected by the school district 1/100th to the degree that their family and friends and the WorldWideWeb have done. I would be willing to bet that yours are the same. 

The state mandates it, so we have to do it. Change Austin, and that could be tossed out. 

I want to change a lot of Austin.  Starting with the top 3 political figures in the state.  I want representatives with the actual concerns of the people at the forefront.  Not yes men that will do the political bidding of their affiliated party.  We don't get that in America anymore, and we won't in Texas.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Big Amen to that. We were actually discussing the same thing this morning. Stick to the three R's.