Gilmer vs Pg, District championship

Sportsguru02

Gilmer vs. Pleasant Grove  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Oh, my!  I thought I was on the Friday Night app for a few moments...😶

For what it's worth, PG runs an offense that our defense has traditionally had trouble with.  One reason is you can't emulate it in practice.  You have to play gap control, seal the edges, and hope everybody does their job and makes sure tackles.  Discipline is tantemount for sure.  Easier said than done for sure.

I do think Gilmer will win by a couple of scores, and could be a little more if they play sound defense, avoid turnovers and costly penalties, and find an offensive rhythm early.  Otherwise, it could be a lot closer than it should be, in my humble opinion.  I know PG will be UP for this game, just like the Buckeyes should be.  The first goal is at hand.  What are we going to do?

Honestly the only reason we had problems with it is because we had a stubborn defensive coordinator that didn’t want to adjust. I think Tommy has figured out how to slow the offense down by keeping it simple for the kids instead of having this trying to read different keys. Now he just gives them their job and let’s them play football.

16 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Honestly the only reason we had problems with it is because we had a stubborn defensive coordinator that didn’t want to adjust. I think Tommy has figured out how to slow the offense down by keeping it simple for the kids instead of having this trying to read different keys. Now he just gives them their job and let’s them play football.

Oh, believe me, I have noticed the difference with Coach Edwards running the show.  There's an obvious difference.  Our defense is better than it has been for many years.  I never was a fan of the previous DC (I won't mention any names), except for early in his tenure.  I do believe if our defense would've been just a few ticks better than average over the years we would've had at least a couple more titles.  Now...., not to get ahead of myself...., we just need to figure out how to stop those red Dawgs..., and not play scared on offense....

• Like 1

Just now, blackflag79 said:

Oh, believe me, I have noticed the difference with Coach Edwards running the show.  There's an obvious difference.  Our defense is better than it has been for many years.  I never was a fan of the previous DC (I won't mention any names), except for early in his tenure.  I do believe if our defense would've been just a few ticks better than average over the years we would've had at least a couple more titles.  Now...., not to get ahead of myself...., we just need to figure out how to stop those red Dawgs..., and not play scared on offense....

I see no lies told in this statement 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hawk20 said:

Kids leaving LE like crazy and they wanna blame everyone else.  No ones wants to figure out whats wrong at LE that makes them want to leave.....it's not just winning football games

If my options were LE or PG, that would be an easy decision. LE just isn't up to the caliber that PG is in both academics and sports.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, WhyUMad said:

What are you smoking? Serious question how many of the 22 starters live in the PG district?  One of the dads told me at least 8 to 10 starters live out of the district! 

Similar circumstances at Gilmer, Carthage, Longview

• Like 1

With PG running the Wing T, there is a such thing as shortening the game clock a little bit.  I'm not so sure that some of the posters here have taken that aspect into consideration when forecasting a final outcome for this game.  I would say maybe 2 TD's IF PG plays quality defense and makes Gilmer earn their scores the old fashioned way.  

7 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

That’s a lie all of our kids live in the district yes have we got kids that have transferred in before but not nearly at the rate of PG

One of the biggest transfers that Gilmer has had over the years was Blake Lynch. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he only played his senior year at Gilmer. Replace PG with Gilmer in Texarkana, and the kids would be enrolling in Gilmer. This town has 3 Texas side high schools with all open / semi-open enrollments. Therefore, some kids are going to move around for various reasons. This subject of PG recruiting / playing with LE kids is like beating a dead horse. If there were illegal issues, then the UIL would have already been involved.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lions70 said:

Easy too say from a Carthage perspective. 

Why?  Henderson should be a school kids from all over want to attend.  They are blessed financially.  There's nothing keeping them from being a place that parents want to send their kids to.

There are many people who live in the Carthage School District who send their kids to Beckville and Gary.  They aren't doing it for athletic reasons.  But the assumption is that anyone who comes to Carthage is purely in it for sports.  Same at PG, you are assuming people are wanting to go to school there because they have a winning football program.  In the end, that's a parental decision.  If they aren't violating UIL rules, then it's really nobody's business.

Figure out why kids don't want to be at your school.  If there's validity to it, maybe deal with your issues.  Clean your own houses before you worry about the neighbors.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Lions70 said:

I didn’t say I didn’t agree with you. Just saying you have openly benefited from this. This makes it overwhelming easier to be in favor of lol.

You're probably right, but I have been in favor of school choice for as long as I can remember thinking about it.  We handcuff kids to poor school systems based on where they live.  It's not really fair.  We try to fix it by taking money from one district to send to another, in true government fashion.  But money isn't the answer to every problem.

Sorry, Let's get back to the game.  I think Gilmer wins by quite a bit.  PG will try to take the air out of the ball, I'm sure, but I don't think they have the horses this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Lions70 said:

Gilmer will name their score. Pg really hasn’t proven they can play with the big boys. Significant drop off from what they used to be. Too be fair they had a monstrous schedule that many teams around the state would easily be in the same position. 

Many teams around the state would never schedule the teams they scheduled.  I like coaches who schedule a difficult preseason slate.  To me, the growth opportunity is much higher when you play tough competition.  If you just wanna win, play cupcakes and your team won't improve as much in my opinion.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Many teams around the state would never schedule the teams they scheduled.  I like coaches who schedule a difficult preseason slate.  To me, the growth opportunity is much higher when you play tough competition.  If you just wanna win, play cupcakes and your team won't improve as much in my opinion.

One thing about Gibson, he is not afraid to play teams. PG has already played two teams better than Gilmer. That does not mean PG will win. For this PG team to be in contention for a district championship, I believe it is a testament to the great coaching that the PG staff has done this year. The PG offense looked different the very first game than like year's past, but the QB injury set the team back. Therefore, the team went back to the Wing T to accommodate the personnel that they had. I think Gilmer wins, but it is HS football....anything can happen.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 2:13 PM, blackflag79 said:

Oh, my!  I thought I was on the Friday Night app for a few moments...😶

For what it's worth, PG runs an offense that our defense has traditionally had trouble with.  One reason is you can't emulate it in practice.  You have to play gap control, seal the edges, and hope everybody does their job and makes sure tackles.  Discipline is tantemount for sure.  Easier said than done for sure.

I do think Gilmer will win by a couple of scores, and could be a little more if they play sound defense, avoid turnovers and costly penalties, and find an offensive rhythm early.  Otherwise, it could be a lot closer than it should be, in my humble opinion.  I know PG will be UP for this game, just like the Buckeyes should be.  The first goal is at hand.  What are we going to do?

Discipline is tantemountfor sure.  Easier said than done for sure.

This is Gilmer’s toughest nut to crack; They can’t seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot... & then, Reloading!😱

• Like 2

Discipline does seem to be an ongoing problem for the Buckeyes.  Way too many unsportsmanlike penalties, which can kill drives offensively and extend drives defensively.  That's one thing that needs to improve for sure, especially against stiffer competition.  Those kind of penalties should not be happening this late in the season for sure.  It should've been nipped in the bud early in the season when the games were not going to count except on their won/loss record.  I would've made a player ride the bench for a series or two for a first offense, and progressively stiffened the discipline upon each seceding penalty.

13 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Discipline does seem to be an ongoing problem for the Buckeyes.  Way too many unsportsmanlike penalties, which can kill drives offensively and extend drives defensively.  That's one thing that needs to improve for sure, especially against stiffer competition.  Those kind of penalties should not be happening this late in the season for sure.  It should've been nipped in the bud early in the season when the games were not going to count except on their won/loss record.  I would've made a player ride the bench for a series or two for a first offense, and progressively stiffened the discipline upon each seceding penalty.

Hey bear crawling a 100 plus yards and running them until you find out what they ate for lunch use to work miracles lol. Need to get back that old school discipline 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

As an outsider looking in, it seems to me that Gilmer always has the athletes to be District champs, and beyond, however mistakes seem to negate many valuable gains in any given contest they are in. This leads to an unproductive culture within the team that ruins what Could be a very successful program. ( My .02 cents)

16 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Hey bear crawling a 100 plus yards and running them until you find out what they ate for lunch use to work miracles lol. Need to get back that old school discipline 

There's some truth to this. Largely, that ability has been stripped from coaches by overzealous parents and administrators.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

There's some truth to this. Largely, that ability has been stripped from coaches by overzealous parents and administrators.

And you would think the parents would be fine with that because most of them came from that era but man they complain if you do anything other than tell the kids good job lol

35 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

And you would think the parents would be fine with that because most of them came from that era but man they complain if you do anything other than tell the kids good job lol

No doubt. That's why it baffles me to hear adults complain about participation trophies and soft kids these days ... like ... who's raising the kids? Who's handing out the participation trophies?

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

That ain't no joke.  I'm not sure how the coaches are punishing these kids, or even if they are, but whatever the punishment is it's NOT WORKING.  It's the same players time and time again for the most part.  I was speaking more about during the game when the offense takes place.  Bench them, then make them pay for it in practice.  I don't care how good of a player they are.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

Today’s society is becoming more & more soft each day. Parents drop their babies off in front of the school in the morning, & go back & pick them up in the afternoon, clogging the streets in front of the school. What ever happened to catching the bus in front of your house & getting back off after school? Tax Dollars wasted; Gasoline wasted. Time wasted. It makes no sense at all.🙄

5 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Today’s society is becoming more & more soft each day. Parents drop their babies off in front of the school in the morning, & go back & pick them up in the afternoon, clogging the streets in front of the school. What ever happened to catching the bus in front of your house & getting back off after school? Tax Dollars wasted; Gasoline wasted. Time wasted. It makes no sense at all.🙄

Man, you been on a school bus in the last 40 years? Kids be wylin! Not to mention, I can pick my kid up and be with him for the next couple hours when he wouldn't even be home.  For kids that live far from the school it adds 2-3 hours to their day.  I mean, would you want to commute an hour and a half to work each day?

25 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Man, you been on a school bus in the last 40 years? Kids be wylin! Not to mention, I can pick my kid up and be with him for the next couple hours when he wouldn't even be home.  For kids that live far from the school it adds 2-3 hours to their day.  I mean, would you want to commute an hour and a half to work each day?

I did that for about 10 years, driving from Carthage to Mansfield, La. five days a week. Prior to that, I have driven 2-3 hours a day to support my family. You have to do what you have to do to get by, sometimes.

With respect to those “Wylin kids”, I pretty much covered that earlier when I said that lack of discipline is clearly evident in today’s society; I have had my butt burnt up on more than one school bus; it builds character, as well as teaching unruly brats how to behave in public.