Carthage vs Shepherd

BevBrownJr

Shepherd is winless in district play this year, and that isn’t likely to change.

Shepherd lost to Center by 16; CHS beat the Roughriders by 46.

Shepherd lost to Madisonville by 9; CHS beat that team by 51 last week.

Shepherd lost to Jasper by 28; CHS beat Jasper by that many points.

Shepherd lost to Rusk by 34; CHS defeated the Eagles by 21.

All of the Carthage seniors should get playing time on Senior Night this Friday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Shepherd is winless in district play this year, and that isn’t likely to change.

Shepherd lost to Center by 16; CHS beat the Roughriders by 46.

Shepherd lost to Madisonville by 9; CHS beat that team by 51 last week.

Shepherd lost to Jasper by 28; CHS beat Jasper by that many points.

Shepherd lost to Rusk by 34; CHS defeated the Eagles by 21.

All of the Carthage seniors should get playing time on Senior Night this Friday.

God bless 'em. Get in, stay healthy, get out. That's really all you can hope for in this game as a Dawgs fan, honestly. Sure you can "work on some things." But you'd be better off having your starters work on those things in practice against superior competition. Gotta keep the starters in for a while in this game, understandably so, as we approach the playoffs, but not much to gain in this matchup. Carthage by 50, mercifully.

• Like 2

I agree with @d0tc0m.  This is a game to get in, get a lead and get the starters out.  Not much benefit can be gained from playing key players for very long here.

So, I have heard that Shepherd has NO sub-varsity teams.  I know Jr High doesn't play them and I don't believe 9th or JV will either.  So seriously, why is this school playing UIL football?  How do you build a program with just a varsity team?  What is the deal?  I am not trying to be mean.  I know these kids probably want to play football, but how does a school ever not be the doormat of the district when they are set up like this?

2 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I agree with @d0tc0m.  This is a game to get in, get a lead and get the starters out.  Not much benefit can be gained from playing key players for very long here.

So, I have heard that Shepherd has NO sub-varsity teams.  I know Jr High doesn't play them and I don't believe 9th or JV will either.  So seriously, why is this school playing UIL football?  How do you build a program with just a varsity team?  What is the deal?  I am not trying to be mean.  I know these kids probably want to play football, but how does a school ever not be the doormat of the district when they are set up like this?

Update, I quickly found on their website that they do have JV, 7th, and 8th grade teams (or at least schedules for them) but they don't play the same schedule as the varsity. Madisonville is the only team in the district they play.  Is this common?  Looks like their subvarsity plays schools where they don't have to travel as much???

7 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

You should do a little more digging before you post. Shepherd does have a freshman and jv team. They just choose to not play in the district with those teams. it is a no win for both the opponents and Shepherd. plus who wants to travel 2 1/2 hours for a district game on a Thursday night. 

For the record Shepherd asked the UIL to let them out of this district two years ago, but the UIL would not let them. They know it is a no win situation, at least they are being real about it. They do not want to travel with their sub varsity teams that far on Thursday nights. It is stupid the UIL would even put that much distance in the same district. I get there is only so much the UIL can do but dang. Same with the drive to Center, Jasper, Rusk and Madisonville. So Shepherd decided to play a non district schedule with the younger teams. 

5 minutes ago, idk said:

For the record Shepherd asked the UIL to let them out of this district two years ago, but the UIL would not let them. They know it is a no win situation, at least they are being real about it. They do not want to travel with their sub varsity teams that far on Thursday nights. It is stupid the UIL would even put that much distance in the same district. I get there is only so much the UIL can do but dang. Same with the drive to Center, Jasper, Rusk and Madisonville. So Shepherd decided to play a non district schedule with the younger teams. 

Cool, no wonder they aren't any good.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

7 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Cool, no wonder they aren't any good.

Live it up while you can, one day the tide will turn. I am not talking about with Shepherd. I am talking about being on top of the mountain. I hope you guys have a injury free game and do great things in the playoffs. Hell, the folks in Shepherd were rooting for you guys to win it all again. But sometimes it is hard with your arrogance. Any way good luck but seems like you don't need it. 

7 minutes ago, idk said:

Live it up while you can, one day the tide will turn. I am not talking about with Shepherd. I am talking about being on top of the mountain. I hope you guys have a injury free game and do great things in the playoffs. Hell, the folks in Shepherd were rooting for you guys to win it all again. But sometimes it is hard with your arrogance. Any way good luck but seems like you don't need it. 

Appreciate the support.  I hope for the sake of the kids in Shepherd, that things do turn there.  I am just not sure how you get better by playing sub-par opponents and blaming it on travel.  Are you saying there is no talent at Shepherd?  Is it not expected of the coaching staff to win?

9 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Appreciate the support.  I hope for the sake of the kids in Shepherd, that things do turn there.  I am just not sure how you get better by playing sub-par opponents and blaming it on travel.  Are you saying there is no talent at Shepherd?  Is it not expected of the coaching staff to win?

A lot of teams in the north Houston area play different schedules with their Jr. Highs.  The rural schools have recently done this.  It is for travel and $.  No reason to travel to Carthage on a Thursday when there are so many schools closer.  It is logistics.

1 minute ago, coachc45 said:

A lot of teams in the north Houston area play different schedules with their Jr. Highs.  The rural schools have recently done this.  It is for travel and $.  No reason to travel to Carthage on a Thursday when there are so many schools closer.  It is logistics.

I understand travel is rough...I drove to Madisonville on a Thursday night to watch my B Team son play with a 30 minute running clock.  But part of building a program is playing opponents that are going to challenge you.  It would be one thing if they were staying around Houston and playing top 4A or 5A competition, but they are playing 3A schools!  So less travel is more important than building a winner?  Our JR High kids played Pleasant Grove twice, they came here and we went there.  Not a short drive.  I guess I'm saying, as a school district, they are showing what's important...and it ain't building a winning program.

45 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

No there is some talent in Shepherd, but not enough to compete with these schools. We have had a decline in the talent level the last couple of years. There are years we have a good group come thru and we will get a playoff birth. Shepherd has never been a football powerhouse and more than likely will not be for some time or ever. 

No Shepherd has great coaches that want to win and most of the parents want to win also, but sometimes you have to be realistic. Everyone wants to win, but sometimes turning young men and women into great adults takes the front seat for us. Our coaches are some of the best there are at this, plus a few are very good football coaches. The community loves our coaches. It is what it is at this time. Shepherd turned in 531 on snapshot day up from 523 two years ago and if the bottom number moves very much at all, we will be a 3A school. 

Most try to keep it real down here, heck I would love for them to make a run. There are plenty of teams right around our area that can beat us or give us a very good run for the money, without a 2 1/2 hours drive. Let's be real Carthage and Shepherd are on two totally different ends of the football spectrum right now. We have a great AD that we love and he puts everything he has into our kids. We don't have Surratt and the money that he gets paid ( and it is well deserved), nor will Shepherd pay that much for an AD, not that we don't want to win, the money just isn't there. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, idk said:

No there is some talent in Shepherd, but not enough to compete with these schools. We have had a decline in the talent level the last couple of years. There are years we have a good group come thru and we will get a playoff birth. Shepherd has never been a football powerhouse and more than likely will not be for some time or ever. 

No Shepherd has great coaches that want to win and most of the parents want to win also, but sometimes you have to be realistic. Everyone wants to win, but sometimes turning young men and women into great adults takes the front seat for us. Our coaches are some of the best there are at this, plus a few are very good football coaches. The community loves our coaches. It is what it is at this time. Shepherd turned in 531 on snapshot day up from 523 two years ago and if the bottom number moves very much at all, we will be a 3A school. 

Most try to keep it real down here, heck I would love for them to make a run. There are plenty of teams right around our area that can beat us or give us a very good run for the money, without a 2 1/2 hours drive. Let's be real Carthage and Shepherd are on two totally different ends of the football spectrum right now. We have a great AD that we love and he puts everything he has into our kids. We don't have Surratt and the money that he gets paid ( and it is well deserved), nor will Shepherd pay that much for an AD, not that we don't want to win, the money just isn't there. 

Thanks for the information.  That is a very low enrollment.  Best of luck going forward!

2 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Thanks for the information.  That is a very low enrollment.  Best of luck going forward!

Good talking with you. Good luck the rest of the way and we will be rooting for another State Championship. Carthage defense if a freak of nature. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Lions70 said:

Your Jv at practice is more of a challenge than you will see Friday night and you know it.

I'm looking towards the future, not just fri night.  Starters (offense) needs them reps.  Got to stop the blooper reel turnovers.  They did better last fri just need to build on that,  especially since we now know there's this Ford team that's apparently gonna light up the scoreboard. 😁

• LOL! 1

14 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I'm looking towards the future, not just fri night.  Starters (offense) needs them reps.  Got to stop the blooper reel turnovers.  They did better last fri just need to build on that,  especially since we now know there's this Ford team that's apparently gonna light up the scoreboard. 😁

Carthage is going to run the ball heavy again this week like they did last week.  I expect similar results.  Might get to 150 yards passing at best, but will probably get 350+ yards rushing combined from a slew of RB’s unless they have several short field drives.  The Dawg roster will resemble what it will look like for the playoffs, and all 75-80 will play including multiple Freshman and Soph.

6 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Carthage is going to run the ball heavy again this week like they did last week.  I expect similar results.  Might get to 150 yards passing at best, but will probably get 350+ yards rushing combined from a slew of RB’s unless they have several short field drives.  The Dawg roster will resemble what it will look like for the playoffs, and all 75-80 will play including multiple Freshman and Soph.

Freshmen have a game Thursday with Timpson...........I expect 2 on varsity Friday, but not many

14 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

The two that played last week on defense didn’t look like freshman.  They could start on varsity at SH right now.

I’m sure at least one of the two is a defensive lineman, as there was some discussion of him on this site last month. I believe he was #54.
Who is the other one?

5 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

I’m sure at least one of the two is a defensive lineman, as there was some discussion of him on this site last month. I believe he was #54.
Who is the other one?

Other one plays TE and DE……# is in the 80s. 

38 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Other one plays TE and DE……# is in the 80s. 

The tight end is 6’ 3 and I believe Kgas said his weight was 195 and his number is 85 or 86. He is a freshman. 
54 is also a freshmen at 5’ 11” and 270. He has been playing defensive nose guard and not as a back up but in rotation.