4A D2 Playoff sleepers.

TCU44

Celina is interesting as they have lost to Argyle (in a shutout) but beat Melissa pretty handily to start the year....who turned around and beat Argyle...probably need some more information around that because it's a headscratcher.

West Orange Stark is out there, but they haven't played anyone any good.

Bellville is undefeated and they have a huge point differential.  Closest game was against Stafford who got demolished by El Campo.

Pretty sure teams like Cuero, Sinton, Wimberly, and Van fully believe they have a chance at going all the way.  That's why you play.  I think this will be a pretty exciting postseason for 4AD2.

8 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Celina is interesting as they have lost to Argyle (in a shutout) but beat Melissa pretty handily to start the year....who turned around and beat Argyle...probably need some more information around that because it's a headscratcher.

Bellville is undefeated and they have a huge point differential.  Closest game was against Stafford who got demolished by El Campo.

Pretty sure teams like Cuero, Sinton, Wimberly, and Van fully believe they have a chance at going all the way.  That's why you play.  I think this will be a pretty exciting postseason for 4AD2.

I want to say from following threads that Celina had a ton of starters out.  And it was at key positions.  But @dotcom would probably be the guy to ask! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Celina  was missing  7 starters against Argyle also turn the ball over five times! One was a pick 6! Still no excuses a loss is a loss!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I want to say from following threads that Celina had a ton of starters out.  And it was at key positions.  But @dotcom would probably be the guy to ask! 

I watched most of the Argyle/Celina game on my computer the night it was played.   That was several weeks ago, but the Celina offense looked bad THAT night.   It may have been a one game thing, but the QB looked like the Jasper QB throwing the ball. 

8 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

I watched most of the Argyle/Celina game on my computer the night it was played.   That was several weeks ago, but the Celina offense looked bad THAT night.   It may have been a one game thing, but the QB looked like the Jasper QB throwing the ball. 

I know the QB was one of the starters missing.  I believe their starter is a good one if im not mistaken.  

31 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

14 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Honcho's memory is correct, the Bobcats were without several starters. I knew going into the game we'd be without a few key guys, but I just wasn't aware until later how many it was. It certainly effected the game, but Argyle took advantage and outplayed the Bobcats and looked like the better team that night.

It's worth pointing out, I think, that Celina's defense only gave up 16 points to Argyle - 3 came on a FG on the opening drive, which was extended by some silly penalties against Celina. One other score came on a long pass immediately following a turnover, in which a sophomore (replacing one of the starters) simply didn't realize what coverage he was supposed to be in. Those little growing pains happen when youngsters without much experience fill in for veteran starters. Argyle, in reality, had about one sustained drive against the Bobcats all night, and they looked really good on that particular drive.

On the flip side, cotton is right, our offense looked REAL BAD that night. Worst I've seen the Bobcats look in a long, long time. Some of that is obviously a credit to Argyle's defense, which I still believe is really good ... maybe the second best in all of 4A in my opinion. Some of it was just head-scratching mistakes by the QB, which he doesn't typically make. He also seemed to have developed a phobia all of a sudden to pulling the ball down and running. He's an athlete. He may not blow past you, but he's got deceptive speed. He's been better about using that as of late. I'll also say, the pick-6, which finally broke the back, was just a fantastic play by Copeland, who now is playing QB for the Eagles.

In addition, our starting RB played pretty soft, and apparently he got called out for it by the coaches and by his teammates, and to his credit, he has been a completely different player since that game. I don't mean the stats he's putting up, I mean the way that he's running, the way that he's blocking, the focus he seems to have, and the drive and emotion he's put on display. It wasn't there in the Argyle game for one reason or another -- these are teenage boys, so who knows lol.

Either way, that game doesn't matter all that much for either team at this point. Argyle is still a really good football team, and taking that big lump from the Eagles actually helped air some laundry for the Bobcats that needed to get cleaned. Celina hasn't gotten a lot better since then, and has corrected a few of the lapses that reared their heads in that loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

Correction from my earlier post:

*Celina HAS gotten a lot better since the Argyle game lol

I read that and thought that's what you meant.... good luck to your boys I'd like to catch a playoff game a few rounds deep

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoboPiratePanther said:

I don't think any team WANTS to see Pittsburg in the playoffs. Talk about a team that's got some momentum going into the playoffs, especially if they win tomorrow night. They are finally figuring out how to win with their new systems. If they beat LE tomorrow, who will they get in the first round?

What is their season record?

what is their most impressive win to-date?

8 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

What is their season record?

what is their most impressive win to-date?

Their most impressive win so far is a trio of close losses to Malakoff, Pleasant Grove and Gilmer. They've picked up actual wins over North Lamar (58-0) and Spring Hill (42-28).

I'm sure they have improved, and they're feeling good heading into the playoffs, especially if they are able to beat LE. But will they make a deep run? Highly unlikely. I think a second or MAYBE a third-round appearance ought to be considered a really, really good year for the Pirates. Not sure what they'll bring back next season, but this is likely a building block for next year, when it's possible they'll make some legit noise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Man jasper qb minding his own business and catching shade on smoaky

• LOL! 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Jerryhawk111 said:

I saw LE nearly beat them. Plus, didn't they almost just lose to canton?

Which is wild when you think about all of it. LE nearly beat Van, SH was up by 12 with 2 minutes left in the game vs LE, then SH gets pummeled by Pittsburg. We all know Van can play with anyone at this point.

7 minutes ago, LoboPiratePanther said:

Which is wild when you think about all of it. LE nearly beat Van, SH was up by 12 with 2 minutes left in the game vs LE, then SH gets pummeled by Pittsburg. We all know Van can play with anyone at this point.

All those teams seem to have beaten up on each other quite a bit. I'd say the better team won in all the matchups, though.

Van has the talent, but they'll need to be more consistent, defensively, if they reaaaally wanna make a run. Rainey can keep the Vandals in nearly every game, but eventually, he's going to simply run out of gas against teams that have really good depth.

12 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

All those teams seem to have beaten up on each other quite a bit. I'd say the better team won in all the matchups, though.

Van has the talent, but they'll need to be more consistent, defensively, if they reaaaally wanna make a run. Rainey can keep the Vandals in nearly every game, but eventually, he's going to simply run out of gas against teams that have really good depth.

Yes, absolutely. Van is the most established football program of the teams mentioned. Van is good year in, year out. 

21 minutes ago, LoboPiratePanther said:

Which is wild when you think about all of it. LE nearly beat Van, SH was up by 12 with 2 minutes left in the game vs LE, 

LE beat SH 21-15. If LE scored 18 points in the game’s last 2 minutes, that’s wild. What happened? A couple of SH turnovers?