4A D2 Playoff sleepers.

TCU44

5 minutes ago, Utfan06 said:

Bellville lost their starting QB at the end of the second quarter vs Columbia as well. 

Bellville, from what I have seen, is legit. Yes, you can knock their schedule, and rightfully so. But the Brahmas have done what really good teams do against that type of schedule. Nothing has ever been in doubt. They've got two of the best RBs you'll find in 4A. They've got a good offensive line. And enough speed on defense to be effective.

Can they stack up against Carthage? Time will tell. So far, nobody has run the football on the Dawgs. That's a bit of an understatement, too. Nobody has gotten close to running the ball on the Dawgs. That being said, Carthage has not faced an elite RB, much less a pair of elite RBs. I know Crosby had some good athletes, but none in the same category as Reece or even Briggs for that matter.

But every time I try to look at a different matchup and see if anyone can really trade blows with Carthage, I always find myself saying, "But that defense ..."

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Bellville, from what I have seen, is legit. Yes, you can knock their schedule, and rightfully so. But the Brahmas have done what really good teams do against that type of schedule. Nothing has ever been in doubt. They've got two of the best RBs you'll find in 4A. They've got a good offensive line. And enough speed on defense to be effective.

Can they stack up against Carthage? Time will tell. So far, nobody has run the football on the Dawgs. That's a bit of an understatement, too. Nobody has gotten close to running the ball on the Dawgs. That being said, Carthage has not faced an elite RB, much less a pair of elite RBs. I know Crosby had some good athletes, but none in the same category as Reece or even Briggs for that matter.

But every time I try to look at a different matchup and see if anyone can really trade blows with Carthage, I always find myself saying, "But that defense ..."

I think us Dog fans are excited to see this defense play against some systems and players such as you mentioned above! I hope we get to see matchups like that. 

And of course the Carthage offense has to do their part to help make sure the Carthage defense gets that opportunity to show what they can do against an elite rushing attack. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jerryhawk111 said:

How good is Quinlan Ford? Undefeated and beat Sunnyvale and Caddo Mills. Plus physical and ball control offense

From what I’ve seen, I’m not a believer. But I don’t claim to be an expert. They could very well prove me wrong. I’m just not as impressed as some by the schedule. 

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

I think is Dog fans are excited to see this defense play against some systems and players such as you mentioned above! I hope we get to see matchups like that. 

And of course the Carthage offense has to do their part to help make sure the Carthage defense gets that opportunity to show what they can do against an elite rushing attack. 

I think all of us TXHSFB fans in general are looking forward to some matchups like that! How could you not?!

Carthage won't be starstruck by anybody. Period. That's just not part of the DNA that Surratt has programmed. The only thing, in my opinion, that can trip up Carthage is a stout defense. A defense that can actually create turnovers, or points off turnovers, that can keep the Dawgs behind the chains and force Surratt's hand in uncomfortable moments.

It's so much easier said than done, and realistically, as far as I can tell, there are only a few teams with defenses good enough to do that, and it STILL might not be enough. But, if you don't play the game, you'll never know, and there are plenty of teams who would like that opportunity.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jerryhawk111 said:

How good is Quinlan Ford? Undefeated and beat Sunnyvale and Caddo Mills. Plus physical and ball control offense

They're Good. Near top 10 in 4A-D2. Lead the Nation with 506 Rushing yards/game. They have 3 1000 yard rushers, average 10.2 yards/carry and 28.8 yards/completion as a team. Only have thrown 1 pick and lost 2 fumbles all season with less than 1 punt/game.

Talking about defense, It reminds me of Daingerfield 83, I believe it was the third round game. The team Daingerfield was playing had two backs just over the 1000 yard mark. 
At the end of the game both backs had enough minus yards rushing to put them both under the 1000 yards for the season. 
As far as the Dawgs D this year, no one can or will run on this defense unless the offense causes the defense to stay on the field with no rest. 
If the offense does not turn the ball over and can sustain long drives and gives the D a rest. 
No team can run on them period. 
Gilmer 22 total yards rushing. 
Rusk minus 8 yards rushing. 
Jasper 56 total yards. 
Madisonville minus yards rushing until starters were pulled. 
PG 35 yards rushing. 
Center less than 50 yards I believe. 
The only team that ran the ball was Crosby and that was due to 5 turnovers and 6 starters missing. 
I write down the stats at the end of every game but I can’t find what I did with the Christian school Corner Stone 
Stats. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, HornetSenior said:

They're Good. Near top 10 in 4A-D2. Lead the Nation with 506 Rushing yards/game. They have 3 1000 yard rushers, average 10.2 yards/carry and 28.8 yards/completion as a team. Only have thrown 1 pick and lost 2 fumbles all season with less than 1 punt/game.

Wow, that ball security is amazing no matter who you play

1 hour ago, HornetSenior said:

This reminds me of that time Kennedale lead the nation in rushing with two 2,000 yards RB’s in the same backfield.  I think it was 2017.  If Ford is able to navigate the road to Arlington this year, please do not record a video in the locker room the week before the Championship talking about how you are going to whoop Carthage and leak it to the media.  Trust me when I say the Dawgs don’t need any additional motivation!

• Love 1
  • LOL! 2

20 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I think Powerlifter must be drinking Absinthe with the crazy mess he talks sometimes.  

Drank that stuff once and did not know it over sea's in Okinawa on Friday and woke up at 2:am Sunday morning in my bunk. Don't know How I got there. Never touch the stuff again. A buddy of mine just said here try this. 

• LOL! 1

10 minutes ago, 514 said:

Drank that stuff once and did not know it over sea's in Okinawa on Friday and woke up at 2:am Sunday morning in my bunk. Don't know How I got there. Never touch the stuff again. A buddy of mine just said here try this. 

I have never had it, I'm honestly scared of it.  I have heard stories like yours before! 🤣

29 minutes ago, Lions70 said:

Even Henderson wasn’t that bold . Unfortunately we couldn’t score either so that tends to limit the trash talk.

Having never before played Carthage, the poor Kennedale lads didn’t have any idea what they were going to be encountering…lol

• LOL! 1

On 11/5/2021 at 10:45 AM, d0tc0m said:

I beg to differ Gilmer got a DOG in 29 Haynes...21 Jackson got some juice too

On 11/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, d0tc0m said:

With all due respect to those young men, both good athletes in their own right, they are not on the level of Reece or Briggs.

The key for Reece and Briggs in the playoffs will be how well the blocking will be vs more stout defenses and defensive schemes as you get deeper in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Utfan06 said:

The key for Reece and Briggs in the playoffs will be how well the blocking will be vs more stout defenses and defensive schemes as you get deeper in the playoffs. 

Absolutely. Elite backs can cover up some OL miscues at times, just because they're so athletic, can make the first guy miss most times, etc. But against the elite defenses, you really can't afford any breakdowns along the OL.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:56 AM, LoboPiratePanther said:

Yes, absolutely. Van is the most established football program of the teams mentioned. Van is good year in, year out. 

Pitt is officially the dark horse in this region. You are right. Van is good every year. Pitts HC won an outright district championship last year at San Quentin High. Sorry. I meant Mexia High verses those Vandals. Rough game this year against Van but that’s been forever ago. Kids did not have a grip on his system yet. This is year is just gravy for Pitt fans. Public may not recognize it but the football world does. Ask the Pitt HC how hard it’s been to feel out his pre district schedule. It shouldn’t be that tough for a program that was 1-9 and 3-7 the previous two seasons. 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:07 AM, d0tc0m said:

Their most impressive win so far is a trio of close losses to Malakoff, Pleasant Grove and Gilmer. They've picked up actual wins over North Lamar (58-0) and Spring Hill (42-28).

I'm sure they have improved, and they're feeling good heading into the playoffs, especially if they are able to beat LE. But will they make a deep run? Highly unlikely. I think a second or MAYBE a third-round appearance ought to be considered a really, really good year for the Pirates. Not sure what they'll bring back next season, but this is likely a building block for next year, when it's possible they'll make some legit noise.

100% on the money...

Pitt will play hard and could take a BiDistrict win but that's about it this year...they are limited in what they can do, I watched em play against Van, LE & PG and the Pirates improved each game I saw...they have a couple of good classes coming so the Pirates will be much improved next few seasons...heckuva 2021 season and congrats to the players and coaches

6 hours ago, Bock said:

100% on the money...

Pitt will play hard and could take a BiDistrict win but that's about it this year...they are limited in what they can do, I watched em play against Van, LE & PG and the Pirates improved each game I saw...they have a couple of good classes coming so the Pirates will be much improved next few seasons...heckuva 2021 season and congrats to the players and coaches

3rd round. Guarantee it. 

11 hours ago, BarryGoldwater said:

3rd round. Guarantee it. 

It could very well happen.

Playing on Thanksgiving should be considered a wildly successful season for the Pirates, considering their record heading into districts and then playoffs.

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

It could very well happen.

Playing on Thanksgiving should be considered a wildly successful season for the Pirates, considering their record heading into districts and then playoffs.

I think it would be considered wildly successful outside the confines of Camp county too. I’ve said many times, this season’s surprise is just gravy for Pitt fans. If there AD stays, which I think he will, they will be a force for years to come. Not easy to get kids used to the spread to start old school run blocking. Skill guys to hit holes instead of dance like they have to do in space. It’s night and day. Skill set wise, but more importantly, mind set wise.