5A D1 R2 Bi-District: Longview vs Magnolia

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (7-3) vs Magnolia Bulldogs (7-3)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Magnolia in a close one
    • Magnolia in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/13/2021 at 01:30 AM

longview.pngmagnolia.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (7-3) VS MAGNOLIA BULLDOGS (7-3)

DATE: Friday, November 12th, 2021
TIME: 7:00 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
MAGNOLIA BROADCAST: TSRNSports.com
LONGVIEW LIVE STREAM: Longview Gameday

longview.pngSERIES TIED 0-0-0 magnolia.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Magnolia.
The two schools have never played at Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played on November 12th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
First meeting.
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
An answer, and a positive response. That's what the Longview Lobos gave their fan base following an upset loss to McKinney North the week prior to the regular season finale, in one of John King's worst losses as head coach. The Lobos, on senior night, rolled to a 49-0 victory over the Tyler Lions, to clinch the 2nd seed in district play and make their that Longview would host a playoff game for the 5th consecutive season. The 49-0 win over Tyler marked the largest margin of victory ever by a Lobo club over the Lions, topping last year's 44-point victory. It continued a streak of 9 consecutive seasons finishing 2nd or better in district play, and 17 out of the 18 seasons. John King's only season to not finish in the top two came in 2012, when the Lobos finished 3rd. Longview stilled finished as the top seed in 5A Division II season. Last week's win was spearheaded by the return of Joshua Thomas to the Lobo offense. Thomas, who has been injured off and on all season, has struggled to see playing time with Jordan Allen taking the reigns most games for the Lobos. The senior accounted for 3 touchdowns on Friday against the Lions to help seal the victory. Next up for Longview is a first time ever meeting with the Magnolia Bulldogs. Magnolia, 7-3, heads into the contest after blowing out New Caney, 52-21. Magnolia's only three losses this season came to Katy Tompkins (9-1), College Station (10-0) and Magnolia West (9-1). Magnolia does get to make the nearly 4 hour drive to Lobo Stadium, though it is not the longest drive the program will have faced in their history. Two years ago, the Bulldogs traveled to AT&T Stadium to take on Highland Park and were blown out 63-28. Much different team from then however, after the Bulldogs won district just a year ago before falling to Frisco Lone Star in round 2. Longview will return home after senior night looking to extend a home winning streak of 7 games. John King has lost just five home games in his 17 years as head coach of Longview, the last coming to Highland Park last season. The Lobos have won 5 consecutive home playoff games (2009, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020), with the only loss at Lobo Stadium (new) coming to Bryan back in 1984. Longview heads into bi-district play having won their last four bi-district contests, with the last loss coming at Beaumont West Brook in 2016. Prior to that, Longview had not lost a bi-district contest since 2005. John King sits at 15-2 all-time in bi-district playoff games. Both losses ended in one-point losses (14-13, 34-33). It will be Longview's 21st consecutive trip to the post season. Magnolia heads into bi-district play having won their last two bi-district contests, after having missed the post season in 2018. The Bulldogs last lost a bi-district game in 2017 when they fell to Cedar Park, 24-20. While Longview goes for playoff win #73, Magnolia is looking to get just their 20th playoff victory in their program's history, one that dates back to 1912. The furthest Magnolia has ever gone in the post season was back in 2008, when they were defeated by Friendswood in the Regional Round.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II BI-DISTRICT GAMES:
11/11 - W5 Denton Ryan (9-1) vs F6 Dallas W.T. White (6-4) - C.H. Collins Complex (Denton)
11/12 - T7 Tyler (6-4) vs R8 Magnolia West (9-1) - Mustang Stadium (Magnolia)
11/12 - F5 Frisco Reedy (5-5) vs W6 Lancaster (9-1) - Beverly D. Humphrey Tiger Stadium (Lancaster)
11/12 - R7 Longview (7-3) vs T8 Magnolia (7-3) - Lobo Stadium (Longview)
11/12 - T5 Frisco Wakeland (7-2) vs R6 Dallas Woodrow Wilson (8-2) - Forester Field (Dallas)
11/12 - W7 Highland Park (9-1) vs F8 New Caney (7-3) - Highlander Stadium (Dallas)
11/11 - R5 Frisco Lone Star (8-2) vs Dallas Bryan Adams (8-2) - Ford Center at the Star (Frisco)
11/12 - F7 McKinney North (5-5) vs W8 College Station (10-0) - Cougar Field (College Station)

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game game will take on the winner of Lancaster vs Frisco Reedy in the Class 5A Division I Region II Area Round match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 7-3 (4-2)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (195-43 in 18 seasons) (Playoffs: 43-16)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 754-354-52 (Playoffs: 72-43-1)
Playoff Appearances: 47
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Denton Ryan (in Frisco) - Loss 40-7
09.03 - vs Marshall - Win 14-0
09.10 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 46-20
09.17 - vs Bryant, AR - Win 24-21
09.23 - at West Mesquite - Win 56-28
10.01 - vs Wylie East - Win 56-0
10.08 - at Highland Park - Loss 21-16
10.15 - vs Sherman - Win 56-14
10.28 - at McKinney North - Loss 37-35
11.05 - vs Tyler - Win 49-0
11.12 - Bi-District: Magnolia

MAGNOLIA BULLDOGS
Record: 7-3 (6-2)
District: 8-5A Division I
Coach: Craig Martin (24-10 in 3 seasons) (Playoffs: 2-2)
First Year of Football: 1912
All-Time Record: /-/-/ (Playoffs: 19-19-2)
Playoff Appearances: 25
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, 5A Division I Area Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (0): None
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - at Katy Tompkins - Loss 18-6
09.03 - at Brenham - Win 20-6
09.10 - at College Station - Loss 38-10
09.17 - vs Lufkin - Win 27-21
09.24 - at Cleveland - Win 37-12
10.01 - vs Conroe Caney Creek - Win 49-0
10.08 - at Waller - Win 42-6
10.15 - vs Magnolia West - Loss 21-14
10.30 - at New Caney Porter - Win 42-0
11.05 - vs New Caney- Win 52-21
11.12 - Bi-District: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 12th
In 1934, Tyler knocked off Longview at Rose Stadium, 13-6.
In 1948, Gahlen Dinkle rushed in from 14 yards out in the only score of a 6-0 Marshall victory over Longview at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos were held to 104 total yards on the night.
In 1954, Longview’s Tony Rothrock rushed in from 10 yards out before Nacogdoches struck for a 54-yard and 40-yard score in the 2nd and 3rd quarters in a 14-7 victory for the Dragons at SFAU Memorial Stadium.
In 1965, John Harrison got the scoring started before three other Lions would tally as John Tyler defeated Longview, 28-0, at Lobo Stadium. The Lions managed just 146 total yards in the win. Four Lobo turnovers were the difference.
In 1971, Clifford Davis rushed for two scores while Alvin Davis rushed for another as Lufkin piled up 24 points in the 2nd quarter in a 30-14 victory over Longview at Panther Stadium.
In 1976, 7 different Lobos tallied as Longview rushed for 324 yards and threw for another 103 yards in a 44-6 victory over Lufkin at Lobo Stadium.
In 1983, Charles Smith hauled in an 80-yard bomb from Eric Harris with under a minute to go as Longview knocked off Killeen Ellison, 14-7, at Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco.
In 1993, Chris Butcher and L’Vendric Fite Mach tallied twice as Longview ran away from Spring, 49-25, at Bowers Stadium in Huntsville. Longview threw just 4 passes on the night, while Spring threw 37 times.
In 2005, Zack Decker kicked two field goals but the final one went wide in the final seconds of the game as South Garland upset nationally ranked Longview, 14-13. Phillip Payne’s 7 yard touchdown reception proved to be the different, as Decker went 2 for 4 on the day in field goals.
In 2011, four different Lobos tallied as a windy Tiger Stadium in Corsicana as Longview knocked off Temple, 24-3. The Wildcats were held to just 153 total yards on the night as the Lobos were held to just a 7-3 halftime lead before breaking things out in the 3rd quarter.

lobohowl2.GIF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kingwolf said:

These guys are 7-3 but their losses are to teams a combined 28-2…two of those were close games…going to be a war…

7-3 with 2 close losses and a bad loss, sounds familiar.

Magnolia also won that district last year...I see this as the toughest test we've had since HP...and I honestly think it'll be a tougher game than round two.

With Thomas at QB, I feel better about our chances every week. With the alternative, this will be a war.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I just don’t trust King to make the right decision. 

Hope to god I’m wrong, but feel we’ll see Allen starting again next week. Such a shame too.

Well I recall Thomas had a good game vs  legacy then started the next week vs Bryant where he ends up got hurt,guess we shall see 🤞

Well the real test starts Friday. I know absolutely nuthg bout Lobos opponent. I couldn't even tell you if magnolia is a city or just the name of the school. The only magnolia I know is the projects...🤷🏾‍♂️😐

And by the way...this statement is in no way shape or form disrespecting McNorth and their 37-35 win...we don't want no smoke🙅🏾‍♂️🙅🏾‍♂️🙅🏾‍♂️

• LOL! 7

We had trouble blocking Tyler’s d-line…Magnolias front 7 is much better…will be similar to Bryant or HP…we can’t make stupid mistakes and make too many bad throws…their coach is going to blitz Allen constantly…they are going to force us to beat them throwing

On 11/6/2021 at 11:52 AM, RandyJohnson said:

Magnolia defeated a really bad Lufkin team 27-21...that speaks volumes.

To this day, I still have no clue how they didn’t curb stomp us. We were down 21-7 in that game and tied it at 21 in the 4th…. It was probably Lufkin’s best effort of the season coupled with magnolia making mistakes. If Lufkin played nacogdoches again tomorrow, nac would win that game running away. We are trash. 

I don’t see mag winning this game. Longview will be too much for them. I don’t think it’s a blowout but I could see a 10-14 point win for Longview. Good luck on yalls post season run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LufkinPack said:

To this day, I still have no clue how they didn’t curb stomp us. We were down 21-7 in that game and tied it at 21 in the 4th…. It was probably Lufkin’s best effort of the season coupled with magnolia making mistakes. If Lufkin played nacogdoches again tomorrow, nac would win that game running away. We are trash. 

I don’t see mag winning this game. Longview will be too much for them. I don’t think it’s a blowout but I could see a 10-14 point win for Longview. Good luck on yalls post season run. 

Solid take.

I keep seeing Longview fans using scores against other teams in 8-5A to determine how good Magnolia (and Magnolia West) are.

Of all fans to be doing that...we literally just lost to McKinney North a week and a half ago. We have no idea who will be the starting QB, even though we all know it's obvious who it should be. We have a defense that continues to take selfish penalties that hurt themselves.

We dominated Tyler in that first half, and still only led by two scores. We were just beyond lucky that Tyler continued to attempt to throw the ball with their third string QB and helped Thomas and company take over.

I do think we can run on these boys, no doubt. And I do think we should win by a couple scores. But just because the Dogs did something early on in the season against a bad Lufkin teams doesn't mean they can't come on into Lobo and beat us. Not this season for sure. They are more than capable, and I've been saying, this is going to be a tougher test IMO than whatever 2nd round game we would potentially play in.

Come focused to play, come with the right QB, cut down the penalties (we still got 7 last week), continue to not turn the ball over...and get Taylor Tatum going early and often.

• Like 1