5A Div II Region III Bi-District Playoff: Bryan Rudder (7-3) Vs. Marshall (7-3)

Mavchamp

Rudder Vs. Marshall  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Rudder in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Rudder in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

The Mavericks are coming off a 28-7 win over Nacogdoches.

Rudder coming off a somewhat unexpected 20-16 loss to Lamar Consolidated.

This will be the first ever meeting between the two teams.  I'll get all the statistical stuff up in a few days.

There won't be any historical.  I THINK this will be Rudder's first ever playoff game. 

Thats correct RogerDorn. IF we were to beat Rudder in the first round then we would play the winner of Crosby and Houston Madison. Crosby should win that one fairly easily. I think if Marshall QB Olvera is healthy then we will come in as slight favorites against Rudder. If not, probably slight underdogs. Ive watched video of Rudder and they are a pretty good team. Well balanced on offense, can pass as well as run. Their qb isnt overly mobile but can take off when he has to and throws a strong accurate pass. Their rb isnt big or a super speedster but runs hard and is quick. They spread it out to several wrs but big #88 looks to be their go-to guy down field. On defense, their dline has decent size and is aggressive to the qb. I think we should be able to run with JQ fairly effectively and if they stack the box then we have some advantages on the outside with Smith and Roberson against their dbs. Im looking forward to a good competitive game Friday night. Ready for some playoff football!

4 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Thats correct RogerDorn. IF we were to beat Rudder in the first round then we would play the winner of Crosby and Houston Madison. Crosby should win that one fairly easily. I think if Marshall QB Olvera is healthy then we will come in as slight favorites against Rudder. If not, probably slight underdogs. Ive watched video of Rudder and they are a pretty good team. Well balanced on offense, can pass as well as run. Their qb isnt overly mobile but can take off when he has to and throws a strong accurate pass. Their rb isnt big or a super speedster but runs hard and is quick. They spread it out to several wrs but big #88 looks to be their go-to guy down field. On defense, their dline has decent size and is aggressive to the qb. I think we should be able to run with JQ fairly effectively and if they stack the box then we have some advantages on the outside with Smith and Roberson against their dbs. Im looking forward to a good competitive game Friday night. Ready for some playoff football!

I hope qb can play. ready to see how first round plays out. Could be wrong but not sure any teams in bi district round are good as record show. Watched Montgomery who won district early on this year (prob better than they were then) but not all that impressed. 

hard to compare district to district until after this week. but even seeing Forney finishing 2nd makes you wonder.  very bad game for t high and beat up on them pretty good early on. every team matches up different but i don’t think they were as good as Marshall . MP imo had a better defense than them for sure. 

The Rudder defense is pretty good and will always keep them in the game.  QB is coaches kid and I’m sure has thrown for 2,000 yards.  I’m surprised their offense hasn’t put up bigger numbers.  I think this could be a low scoring game and I’ll side with the home team 17-14. 

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Great for a bunch of us Crosby fans who will get to sit back and watch who we get to play in the second round. Interesting that Marshall chooses to play on a Friday even though they’re a one school district. Full disclosure I’m pulling for Rudder so that we get to play in Katy or Cypress versus playing all the way in Nac again. Kind of #### because I would much rather play Marshall’s offense. 

Olvera is expected to be back this week. 

Great news!!

Our offense is significantly better with him under center. 

Gotta say hats off to the coaching staff the last 2 weeks though.  They came up with game plans that leaned heavy on the running game, but still allowed the young sophomore QB to to make some big plays. 

Collier Slone is going to be a beast at QB in the future for the Mavs. 

Ready for this week!  Should be a good one! 

I’m still trying to figure out how Lamar Consolidated beat them Friday. 

I watched Consolidated play Lake Creek and they were atrocious. 

Did Rudder rest starters since they had #3 locked up?   Keep their hand close to their vest?

I just though Lamar Consolidated was awful.  Can’t imagine how they beat a playoff team. A 7-2 playoff team no less. 

32 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m still trying to figure out how Lamar Consolidated beat them Friday. 

I watched Consolidated play Lake Creek and they were atrocious. 

Did Rudder rest starters since they had #3 locked up?   Keep their hand close to their vest?

I just though Lamar Consolidated was awful.  Can’t imagine how they beat a playoff team. A 7-2 playoff team no less. 

I don’t think Rudder rested their starters.  It was a surprise, but then again, District 10 was very even this year, especially seeds 3 through 7.  Lamar was bad at times, but then they beat Huntsville and nearly beat Fulshear. The win over Rudder eliminated Huntsville, so I guess you can say they beat the Hornets twice.

https://www.marshallmavericks.net/

--------------

This is Rudder's first trip to the playoffs.  The school opened in 2008.

This is their third time in school history to have a winning record (2013, 2020, 2021)

Their QB EJ Ezar has gone 180-279 for 2551 yards.  23 touchdowns 12 interceptions.  He also has 700 yards rushing with another 10 scores.

Their running back is Keithron Lee and he has 554 yards and 9 scores.

---------------

Marshall QB Micheal Olvera will be back in action after sitting out the last two weeks following a shoulder stinger in the MP game.  He has gone 78-141 for 1,049 yards with 7 scores and 5 picks.  He has amassed those 1,049 yards in just six and a half games.  He didn't play in the New Caney game, Mount Pleasant, or Nacogdoches.  He game in after halftime of the Longview game.  Marshall is (5-1) when he's the starter.

Mav running back JQ Davis had 1270 yards on 160 carries with 11 touchdowns headed into the Nacogdoches game.  I don't have his totals from the Nac game.... 

WR's Domar Roberson and Jacory Smith have combined for 61 catches for 1143 yards and 10 touchdowns.

---------------

Interesting facts:

1.  Marshall's three losses are to teams that are a combined (23-6) on the season.  New Caney (7-3), Longview (7-3), and Texas High (9-0).

2.   This is Marshall's 33rd season to make the playoffs.

3.  This will be Marshall's 72nd playoff game.  They are (39-30-2) all time in the playoffs.

I watched Crosby in three playoff games last season.... and it appears they are picking up where they left off.

If Marshall takes care of business this week...... they are going to be HUGE underdogs next week.

Texas High's second round draw won't be any easier..... with Texas City at 9-1.  Only loss......Crosby.