Joaquin Rams (5-4, 2-2) vs Beckville Bearcats (10-0, 6-0) Bi-District Playoff at Henderson Lion Stadium Friday, November 12th 7:30 pm

trueblue82

Who advances to Round 2?   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Rams or ‘Cats?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/13/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

The no call on that horse collar tackle was very poor by the refs.

It was plain as day and when they showed the replay on the video board all those Rams were yelling. 

The TD at the end of the first half was a terrible call by that crew as well. The offensive penalty on the previous play should have resulted in a 10 second runoff. At the very least, the clock should have started when the ball was spotted. That whole sequence starting with the interception was a huge momentum swing. 

Ol Trueblue’s thoughts: a couple of sequences broke this game open. The whole train wreck that started with the double reverse pass that was intercepted and run back to our 30 was huge. Remember, Beckville had a 14-12 lead. A Ram TD there likely gets us the lead going to halftime with us getting the ball first after the half. It’s real easy to say “Well he should have just pulled it down and run it.”, but it’s hard to fault a kid for trying to make a play. Credit the defender for a heads up play and a great return. After the TD, we’ve got the ball and a makeable 4th and 2, but a false start forces us to punt. Beckville only has time for a couple of plays. The officials botched the call after the penalty. The half should have ended on the penalty. Instead it ended with a TD that put them up 28-12. We get a nice drive then get put in 3rd and long by back to back penalties. Quarterback makes a great throw for a TD but it’s called back because they said the receiver was covered up. Then they just totally ignored a horrendous horse collar penalty that would have given us a first down and a chance to make it a one possession game in the third quarter. Beckville scores and the game was essentially over at that point. Beckville is much improved over week 1. Kicking game issues have been a hamstring for Joaquin all year. Kickoffs, punts and extra points have been a disaster. But we will have a great group of seniors next year. Good luck to Beckville the rest of the way. 

7 hours ago, Hereforthewin said:

Joaquin needs new coaches!

Joaquin needs to - uhhmm - diversify its play calling.

JHS ran that same little play with #3 dragging across the line and it never gained anything. Seemed like they ran that play 15 times. 
The QB CAN throw the ball and the Rams must (not should) MUST throw the ball at least ten times a game in order for the run game to actually succeed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Joaquin needs to - uhhmm - diversify its play calling.

JHS ran that same little play with #3 dragging across the line and it never gained anything. Seemed like they ran that play 15 times. 
The QB CAN throw the ball and the Rams must (not should) MUST throw the ball at least ten times a game in order for the run game to actually succeed.

The first time we ran that play it went for an 82 yard TD. Beckville did a really good job of adjusting to it after that. Their defensive ends played really hard and didn’t allow us to seal the edge and their LBs tackled well. 

7 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

The first time we ran that play it went for an 82 yard TD. Beckville did a really good job of adjusting to it after that. Their defensive ends played really hard and didn’t allow us to seal the edge and their LBs tackled well. 

Agree, it worked one time and was thwarted the remainder of the game yet the play was run another 12 times, not wise. 

Agree, it worked one time and was thwarted the remainder of the game yet the play was run another 12 times, not wise. 

Some plays are run to set up other plays. #3 is a 1,000 yard rusher mainly running off the right side. Whether you’re having big success with it or not, you have to make the defense commit to stopping one thing in order to open up something else. #7 picked up several big gains, several of them to convert 3rd or 4th downs, running the toss the other way due to the defense being overloaded to stop #3. Two key elements got us beat: #1 we had two very good drives into the red zone that netted zero points. Penalties were key in stalling both drives. The one before the half resulted in a interception and a long return that wound up being a huge momentum swing that Beckville seized on. The one after the half had us in position to make it a one possession game and ended with a fourth down stop on the worst no-call of a horse collar since the rule was created.  #2 was tackling. We haven’t tackled well all season. That’s why we’ve had 6 games where we’ve given up 29+ points. 

8 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Some plays are run to set up other plays. #3 is a 1,000 yard rusher mainly running off the right side. Whether you’re having big success with it or not, you have to make the defense commit to stopping one thing in order to open up something else. #7 picked up several big gains, several of them to convert 3rd or 4th downs, running the toss the other way due to the defense being overloaded to stop #3. Two key elements got us beat: #1 we had two very good drives into the red zone that netted zero points. Penalties were key in stalling both drives. The one before the half resulted in a interception and a long return that wound up being a huge momentum swing that Beckville seized on. The one after the half had us in position to make it a one possession game and ended with a fourth down stop on the worst no-call of a horse collar since the rule was created.  #2 was tackling. We haven’t tackled well all season. That’s why we’ve had 6 games where we’ve given up 29+ points. 

And might consider looking for a new coach. In my opinion Joaquin has exceptional athletes and a very good team. I have seen the Rams play 3 times this year and some very bad decisions made quite frequently. Hope everyone came out of the game healthy. 

Good luck next year.

3 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Oh man, that no call on the horse collar was pitiful.

I was yelling at those refs from the stands, that was probably the worst missed call / no call I have ever seen in any game, any sport.

I understand the setting up plays off other plays, but you can’t run the same four or five plays all game long and expect much success.
I also know the Rams don’t have a plethora of stud athletes or game breakers, but you have got to open up a little bit and throw the ball enough to get the defense off the LOS and totally sold out to stop the run. Joaquin pretty much only throws the ball when they have to. The play calling just hands the advantage to the defense every series; it’s maddening for someone who has extensively watched another offensive scheme work very well for many years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Oh man, that no call on the horse collar was pitiful.

I was yelling at those refs from the stands, that was probably the worst missed call / no call I have ever seen in any game, any sport.

I understand the setting up plays off other plays, but you can’t run the same four or five plays all game long and expect much success.
I also know the Rams don’t have a plethora of stud athletes or game breakers, but you have got to open up a little bit and throw the ball enough to get the defense off the LOS and totally sold out to stop the run. Joaquin pretty much only throws the ball when they have to. The play calling just hands the advantage to the defense every series; it’s maddening for someone who has extensively watched another offensive scheme work very well for many years.

To be fair, at that point, we needed to score on every possession and catch a couple of breaks with turnovers to have a chance. Beckville’s offense was just a step ahead of us all night. The exchange of turnovers in the second quarter resulted in points for them and none for us. Wheels came off after the third quarter drive stalled. 

3 minutes ago, Cat51993 said:

The Rams are a very good team. They play hard all night.  I pull for them and Carlise in The playoffs.  #7 is really good .player

#7 Derrick Henry’d a Beckville defender on one run. The replay was worth the trip to Henderson. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, trueblue82 said:

#7 Derrick Henry’d a Beckville defender on one run. The replay was worth the trip to Henderson. 

He did it twice. 1st time was brutal.  If yall could ever just stay healthy for one season. Young QB did great and full back was hard to bring down. For some reason #3 didn't run as well as the game went on.  I like the rams I like tour style and if people want to see what a team looks like that needs a new coach give a call. The Rams IMO do not qualify.  

I’d love to have the Rams’ #7 playing for my Carthage Bulldogs, he’s a heck of a player!…….and Surratt would know how to maximize his production………

😬

FYI Surratt is great no doubt but others can get maximum production out of kids also.