#1 Carthage vs. #42 Gatesville

BevBrownJr

15 hours ago, TCU44 said:

Is there any team on the Carthage Side of the bracket that will have any hope of beating them? Has to only be a few I’m sure if any! LOL

I would be concerned with a team that has a very good defense and a power running game.  I know this defense has not allowed much of anything on the ground.  My concern would be a team with real size and strength on the O-line.  Carthage is not very big on defense.  The ends are very small fast guys, and to this point they have been outstanding against the run.  But a team that can really move people off the ball and control the clock and limit the offenses possessions would be the team that has the chance to win, IMO, especially if Carthage's offense has a high turnover night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I would be concerned with a team that has a very good defense and a power running game.  I know this defense has not allowed much of anything on the ground.  My concern would be a team with real size and strength on the O-line.  Carthage is not very big on defense.  The ends are very small fast guys, and to this point they have been outstanding against the run.  But a team that can really move people off the ball and control the clock and limit the offenses possessions would be the team that has the chance to win, IMO, especially if Carthage's offense has a high turnover night.

Is this a description of Bellville? I don’t know, I’m asking…so that I’ll know whether to pull for them or WO-S Thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TCU44 said:

Is there any team on the Carthage Side of the bracket that will have any hope of beating them? Has to only be a few I’m sure if any! LOL

I would say, realistically, there are three teams that have a shot (relatively speaking) at hanging with Carthage.

China Spring, WOS and Bellville.

Although I think Region IV will be pretty entertaining throughout the playoffs, I don't foresee the winner of that region having a prayer against Carthage, or whoever was good enough to knock off the Dawgs, in the semifinals.

8 minutes ago, Newtonres7586 said:

Happy to see a playoff game in my town. I will be in attendance for this one. I have never seen Carthage play. Looking forward,to it.

Everyone travel safe this weekend.

This is not the best offense Carthage has ever had, not even close.

Just know what you see Friday is still a work in process, but I have confidence in the players and coaches.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

I would say, realistically, there are three teams that have a shot (relatively speaking) at hanging with Carthage.

China Spring, WOS and Bellville.

Although I think Region IV will be pretty entertaining throughout the playoffs, I don't foresee the winner of that region having a prayer against Carthage, or whoever was good enough to knock off the Dawgs, in the semifinals.

Yes, China Spring will be up to the task... 

1 hour ago, ChinaSpring1 said:

Yes, China Spring will be up to the task... 

They did pretty good in 2016, last year...not so much.

I would say this Carthage team is more like the 2016 team offensively, but this defense is every bit as good as they were last year.

How's China Spring compared to 2020?

4 hours ago, JBizzle said:

I've not seen any video on Bellville, so I have no idea.

I have, they have two really good running backs, but they have played no one with a pulse. 
They will not run on the Dawgs and neither will WOS. If you can’t run and throw equally well. You cannot defeat the Dawg D period. Unless the Dawg offense turns the ball over and the Dawg D gets no rest. 

4 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I have, they have two really good running backs, but they have played no one with a pulse. 
They will not run on the Dawgs and neither will WOS. If you can’t run and throw equally well. You cannot defeat the Dawg D period. Unless the Dawg offense turns the ball over and the Dawg D gets no rest. 

I mostly agree with you. Bellville's schedule has been meh. But for the most part, that's not the Brahmas' fault, and they've done exactly what really good teams do against a schedule like that.

And I totally agree that it will be tough sledding to run on the Carthage defense. But, to be fair, Carthage has not faced a running back, much less two backs, anywhere close to the caliber of Reece and Briggs.

7 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I mostly agree with you. Bellville's schedule has been meh. But for the most part, that's not the Brahmas' fault, and they've done exactly what really good teams do against a schedule like that.

And I totally agree that it will be tough sledding to run on the Carthage defense. But, to be fair, Carthage has not faced a running back, much less two backs, anywhere close to the caliber of Reece and Briggs.

You are correct, the Dawg D has not faced backs like they have. But they did last year and this years Dawg D is bigger, stronger, and faster and better. 

1 minute ago, cowboyandchrist said:

You are correct, the Dawg D has not faced backs like they have. But they did last year and this years Dawg D is bigger, stronger, and faster and better. 

Fair enough! Can't really argue against Carthage's defense until someone gives us a reason to.

Either way, it should be fun to watch the Dawgs play China Spring and WOS/Bellville.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBizzle said:

The front 4 used against P G might be on standby for rounds 3 & 4 - take out 170 and insert 270. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Replaced a 240 lb three year starter with a 170 lb guy - are you sure about bigger ?

2 minutes ago, Lions70 said:

They can’t be stop even with magical powers. Suffocating defense will scare Georgia.

1 minute ago, Lions70 said:

You don’t know the power of the Carthage C apparently you’re not worthy.

You need a new hobby, Lion.

7 hours ago, JBizzle said:

They did pretty good in 2016, last year...not so much.

I would say this Carthage team is more like the 2016 team offensively, but this defense is every bit as good as they were last year.

How's China Spring compared to 2020?

This China Spring team is vastly improved especially on defense. The move-ins have also helped in the line. We know defeating Carthage will take an almost perfect game but that’s why they play the game!