#1 Carthage vs. #42 Gatesville

BevBrownJr

1 minute ago, house said:

the performance tonight wont win another title.  the offense just hasnt improved enough.  this group gonna put grey hairs on surratt.  

35 points, but I agree, not all that impressive..............Not having #55 hurt blocking............I still say if push comes to shove, more players will play both ways more as the competition gets tougher

• Like 2

Just now, house said:

the performance tonight wont win another title.  the offense just hasnt improved enough.  this group gonna put grey hairs on surratt.  

If they can't score on the Dawgs, they can't beat the Dawgs.

The offense will play better, heck all they got to do is score 10 and don't turn it over.   

I think us Bulldog fans have gotten so accustomed to the offense consistently executing at a very high level that a few mistakes and missed opportunities throughout the course of a game feels like the world is ending. 
I do agree we need the offense to execute better than it has, but they’ve always done enough to win.

The defense is doing its thing and will anchor the team.

Long ways to go, and I still trust this team to win out and win #9!!!!!!!!!

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Like others I can see that the offense isn't as polished at this point that we're accustomed to, but again, like others have said,  they still scored points.  Unless I'm mistaken, the offense scored 28, and left however many on the field.  The Defense is the Defense,  and the reason I see nobody standing much of a chance to keep us from seeing a 3-Peat.  Next!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I think us Bulldog fans have gotten so accustomed to the offense consistently executing at a very high level that a few mistakes and missed opportunities throughout the course of a game feels like the world is ending. 
I do agree we need the offense to execute better than it has, but they’ve always done enough to win.

The defense is doing its thing and will anchor the team.

Long ways to go, and I still trust this team to win out and win #9!!!!!!!!!

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

Like others I can see that the offense isn't as polished at this point that we're accustomed to, but again, like others have said,  they still scored points.  Unless I'm mistaken, the offense scored 28, and left however many on the field.  The Defense is the Defense,  and the reason I see nobody standing much of a chance to keep us from seeing a 3-Peat.  Next!

Do I at times feel a little ridiculous being upset when we are still putting up a lot more points than many teams? Yes. I guess it’s just because this years offense is nowhere near as polished and efficient as we are used to and because of that I doubt at times it will be enough. But the defense more than makes up for it with numbers I have never seen in person before. 

It may very well be enough. This defense is historic. 

• Like 1

not sure we can get by with a as surratt called it  "sloppy performance" in a couple more rounds.  i think what the carthage faithful have learned is that you have to beat some really good teams to win this tournament and "sloppy" is not usually how you characterize a championship program.  i'm just hoping they can put together some cleaner games when they are going to be required.  cs beat gatesville 41-10 but i don't know the details of that game.  hard to imagine we can win it with the roughness of the offense but i guess it's possible.  hatten and the defense kinda make it always possible.  

32 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Do I at times feel a little ridiculous being upset when we are still putting up a lot more points than many teams? Yes. I guess it’s just because this years offense is nowhere near as polished and efficient as we are used to and because of that I doubt at times it will be enough. But the defense more than makes up for it with numbers I have never seen in person before. 

It may very well be enough. This defense is historic. 

Forget about the few points that has been scored on the Dawg D. 
just look at the yards per game. 
No matter what the out come, this Dawg team needs to be mentioned as one of the best. 
last night they gave up 22 yards rushing and 26 yards passing. 
I will have to check the stats for each game but I believe I am right. No team has more than 50 yards running the ball on the Dawg starters in the last 8 or 9 games. Now add in all the turnovers and it is even more special. 
The amazing thing is they are getting better every game. 

11 minutes ago, house said:

not sure we can get by with a as surratt called it  "sloppy performance" in a couple more rounds.  i think what the carthage faithful have learned is that you have to beat some really good teams to win this tournament and "sloppy" is not usually how you characterize a championship program.  i'm just hoping they can put together some cleaner games when they are going to be required.  cs beat gatesville 41-10 but i don't know the details of that game.  hard to imagine we can win it with the roughness of the offense but i guess it's possible.  hatten and the defense kinda make it always possible.  

The last few weeks Carthage team will probably have a similar game as the China Spring game in Frisco 4-5 years ago.........The Carthage team that beat Gilmer should beat China Spring by 14-21 points..........Which Carthage team shows up ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

The last few weeks Carthage team will probably have a similar game as the China Spring game in Frisco 4-5 years ago.........The Carthage team that beat Gilmer should beat China Spring by 14-21 points..........Which Carthage team shows up ?

Not sure of we can score 14-21 points in any good defense 

Just now, ctown81 said:

I think they can.  The play calling will adjust to the strengths when the chips are down.  Carthage O is still “working” on things after 9 games.  I agree with another poster in that there are 4-5 defensive players that would make an immediate impact on offense if needed.

17 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

We already defeated the team with the best defense we’ll see all year, and beat them 28-0.

There is absolutely no other team we’ll play with a defense even close to as good as Jasper’s defense.

I feel exactly like Panther, when the chips are down Surratt will not be jacking around tinkering with things; we’ll do what it takes to win and that probably means a heavy dose of Hatten. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

We already defeated the team with the best defense we’ll see all year, and beat them 28-0.

There is absolutely no other team we’ll play with a defense even close to as good as Jasper’s defense.

I feel exactly like Panther, when the chips are down Surratt will not be jacking around tinkering with things; we’ll do what it takes to win and that probably means a heavy dose of Hatten. 

Jaspers defense was definitely the best we played against. Gilmer’s was good, but we  caused our own problems in that one mostly. We and Burton, he was a one man wrecking crew in that one. 

Who do y’all think is going to win between WOS vs Jasper? Bellville vs Rusk? And then between the winners of those two? 

6 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

You know you’ve been spoiled when you complain about a 35-0 win in a playoff game!😂🤷🏼

Oh I will for sure admit we’ve been spoiled. Again, I think it can make a Bulldog fan uneasy when year after year you have seen the most efficient, clean offenses that only turn the ball over a few times each year and now this year you have a team that very well might lose the turnover battle but still win by 3 scores or more. It’s different and causes a little more anxiety than we are used to! Lol

The closest anyone has played Carthage all year was Crosby. They are a good 5a team that Carthage beat in the first game of the year 27-24. Funny thing is that almost half of Carthage’s team was out with covid and a lot of young backups played in that game but somehow Carthage still won. Crosby is 9-2 overall and 7-0 in district play. They are a good 5a team. I’ve said from the beginning of this year that this years Carthage team will be just like the Baltimore Ravens team the year they won the Super Bowl. They didn’t have a high powered offense but what they had was a ferocious defense that smothered their opponents. Ray Lewis was the leader of that defense just like Kip Lewis is the leader of Carthage’s defense. Ray Lewis would tell the offense if y’all can score a few times that’s all we need because we will take care of the rest. If Carthage’s offense can take care of the ball and not turn it over multiple times and put a few scores on the board then that Dawg D will win the game for them everytime and nobody in 4a will beat Carthage. I can even see Madrano Carthage’s field goal kicker playing a big role deep in the playoffs this year. A win is a win no matter if you win by 3. Good luck Dawgs the rest of the way! Hats off to that Dawg D!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Jaspers defense was definitely the best we played against. Gilmer’s was good, but we  caused our own problems in that one mostly. We and Burton, he was a one man wrecking crew in that one. 

Who do y’all think is going to win between WOS vs Jasper? Bellville vs Rusk? And then between the winners of those two? 

WOS - Bellville……….Bellville

16 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

And yet we only scored 35 against Gatesville. Gatesville punted alot and made us drive. Jasper's offense was atrocious and gave us short fields. 

22 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Oh I will for sure admit we’ve been spoiled. Again, I think it can make a Bulldog fan uneasy when year after year you have seen the most efficient, clean offenses that only turn the ball over a few times each year and now this year you have a team that very well might lose the turnover battle but still win by 3 scores or more. It’s different and causes a little more anxiety than we are used to! Lol

Agree 100%.

20 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

And yet we only scored 35 against Gatesville. Gatesville punted alot and made us drive. Jasper's offense was atrocious and gave us short fields. 

What’s the problem, people? Carthage only beat Gatesville in the bi-district game last year by a single point, not 35 like last night.

• LOL! 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

20 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I do hear you and understand your concern, while saying I too am concerned about the offense.

I just have so much trust in the coaches that I believe they can and will win state this year. The offense does have game breakers and a receiver who is a mismatch and catches the ball as well as any receiver we’ve ever had.

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

It’s hard to imagine Jasper even scoring against WO-S, assuming Cornell Thompson’s defense this year is one of his typical ones.

And if Bellville is half as good as everyone seems to be saying, they’ll easily beat Rusk.

WO-S vs. Bellville on Thanksgiving weekend appears to be a pick ‘em.