Time For This?

Destry

11 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Maybe have the mercy rule in the playoffs?Β  I would rather get back to my hometown earlier than watch a blowout and have to drive 2 hrs or more and get back after midnight.

So that a team that has worked their entire season to get to the post season, on both sides mind you, can have that experienced ended early? No imo.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Destry said:

Looking at Thursday scores, many teams scored over 50 points. If they did not have running clock, some should have. 60’s, 70’s, maybe one in the 80’s. Fail to see how this helped anyone.

I think everyone is OK if you dont get it, but to rehash the same point again - with an example :

Gunter was up 49-0 at the half over Scurry Rosser.Β  Backups played the second half.Β  No running clock.Β  Game ended 62-7.Β  Backups and JV call ups played the entire second half (as the vast majority of teams in this same position would do).Β  The winning team's coaches get to give their younger and JV kids playoff experience and playing time in general while testing what kind of kids they have coming up.Β  The fans get to see what sort of kids we have coming up in the future, and the kids on the losing side played a competitive half of football - many of whom will never put the pads on again after that game ended.Β  In your world, you would have their last memory playing football being told they weren't good enough to finish the game.Β Β 

Β 

I saw the game (and I've seen very many exactly like it), by the time the game was clearly won, those kids on the other team didnt care what the score was.Β  They were still playing football.Β  They never gave up, and their fans were as loud when they made a good play down 62-0 as they were when it was 0-0.Β  If you dont like it, leave the game or otherwise stop following it.Β  It has literally no other impact on you.Β Β 

• Like 5

Saw it posted on the Facebook where Mart beat Clarksville 84-6 and the game was called in the third quarter. I’m guessing that the losing coach has to agree to this. If the coaches agree to it, it’s hard to argue with. I’m sure that no coach wants to be the one to hang 100 on someone.Β 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Saw it posted on the Facebook where Mart beat Clarksville 84-6 and the game was called in the third quarter. I’m guessing that the losing coach has to agree to this. If the coaches agree to it, it’s hard to argue with. I’m sure that no coach wants to be the one to hang 100 on someone.Β 

Heard about this.Β  If the two teams involved in the actual game decide to call it, I cant really have a problem with it.Β  They shouldn't be able to tell two teams 400 miles away in a game that has no impact on them other than tickling their feelings that they have to stop their game I have a problem with.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pax said:

Heard about this.Β  If the two teams involved in the actual game decide to call it, I cant really have a problem with it.Β  They shouldn't be able to tell two teams 400 miles away in a game that has no impact on them other than tickling their feelings that they have to stop their game I have a problem with.

Agreed.Β 

10 minutes ago, Destry said:

So they stopped the game? What about the kids who did not get to play much? No difference between that and the mercy rule.

Difference between coaches agreeing to it on a situational basis vs having it set in stone for every single program and game to follow.

• Thanks 1

This song and dance comes up every year for the First Round ... Because of that, I've been tracking this for years.

In the average first week for the past several years the range of #4s winning has rested between 14-19.

This year was no different ... there were 16 #4 seeds that won and another 6 where the #4 seeds lost by one score (7 or less).

There was even one game where the #4 seed won by 47 points and another who won by a 24 point shutout.

Logic asks, "Well if you pick and choose, where do you stop." - When you look at games involving #2 seeds vs #3 seeds this year, there were 26 games where the winner won by more that 40 points. Β So who gets to choose who you leave out and who you let in? Β Usually, regardless of how many you let in, the first round has inherently been where the rejects, the suspects, and the prospects were sorted out. Β The second round is usually, again depending on the draw, responsible for eliminating the suspects for the equation.

It doesn't take a HS football genius to know that all districts are NOT created equal ... just like all regional brackets are not created equal and there is a certain luck that goes with who you draw along the way.

And the UIL is happy for you to play ... as long as you send them a check.

On 11/13/2021 at 3:34 PM, Destry said:

So they stopped the game? What about the kids who did not get to play much? No difference between that and the mercy rule.

Game was called in the third due to the entire town being evacuated because of a major gas leak. Had nothing to do with the score.