2021 4A Division I playoffs

Texski

It's playoff time with a bunch of games kicking off tonight. Regions I, III & IV looks like they will have some decent 1st round matchups however Region II is blowout city, but there are some possible very interesting 2nd round matchups Stephenville- Paris, Keenedale-Argyle, Melissa-Midlo Heritage & Kaufman-La Vega.

What are the guesses as to who will be playing in Arlington in December?

In this region,  I think it really depends on which teams can stay healthy each week with key starters.  There are so many good teams that a big loss of a key player could mean the difference between winning and advancing or losing and airing up the basketballs(which they are doing now, btw).  I really like the way Argyle has been moving the chains and putting up the points now on offense.......they could be hitting their best stride of the season right now.  Their D has been better than stellar all season long, and now the offense is helping the defense immensely.  I think the key game for Argyle will be the 3rd Round playing either Stephenville or Paris.  If Argyle can get to the regional final......then they will be at Jerryworld, IMHO.  Argyle's depth at every position is the best in all of 4A......end of story.

Melissa has to keep QB Sam Fennegan healthy if they want to make the regional final, IMHO.  I just don't think they can play thru the gauntlet and keep winning without him.  La Vega, Paris,  and Midlothian Heritage are the dark horses in this region, if you ask me.  Any of these teams could possibly knock off another bigtime opponent......but it will take two big wins in this region to get to that regional final game.  That will be some tough sledding for any of the teams in this region.......to win Rounds 2 and 3.  Good Luck to each team and let the playoffs begin.....tonight.

3 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

So Melissa & LV pose no threat to Argyle? If they make the R2 final they’ll make Jerry world? 

If Argyle can make it to the regional final, then they will be in a better position to win the region than their opponent.......whoever that might be......IMHO.

• Like 1

Stephenville most definitely appears to be the toughest opponent for Argyle in the march to the regional final.  But don't ever discount Paris......they are a Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde type team and matchups play an important role in these games.  Argyle knows Paris football better than any other team in this tournament, and vice versa......so Paris is definitely in the mix to win each round for sure.  That's why I have them as one of the darkhorses.

There are 3 teams in this region that have almost the same style of play.......Stephenville, Melissa, and Argyle.  All 3 of these teams could be considered a "favorite" to win this region.  I'm pretty certain that all 3 also have excellent kicking games......but I like Argyle's the best.  Seems like Argyle's kicking teams give them an advantage in field position moreso than the other two teams when comparing all three.  Field position thruout each game is a major league factor.

2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

There are 3 teams in this region that have almost the same style of play.......Stephenville, Melissa, and Argyle.  All 3 of these teams could be considered a "favorite" to win this region.  I'm pretty certain that all 3 also have excellent kicking games......but I like Argyle's the best.  Seems like Argyle's kicking teams give them an advantage in field position moreso than the other two teams when comparing all three.  Field position thruout each game is a major league factor.

Any of those three teams could win state. No doubt! Stephenville Melissa Argyle

Melissa was up 36-0 w/ 9 min left 2nd quarter and unloaded the bench. Gave up 2 quick TDs and now 36-13 at half. Pulled starters way too soon. They need to stay in at least a half if not 3 quarters. The Cards have a bunch of injured players and seems like there is a severe fear of additional injuries. Melissa seems to have completely lost their mojo and edge the past few weeks on offense although 1st team still playing lights out shutdown ball.

34 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

Can ya’ll please stop wasting your tIme. The good folks at El Campo have declared they are winning state this year so everyone else is wasting their time. Ahahahahah 

It's too early to think about who wins state......we are just concerned about advancing each week within this region.  It's gonna get crazy next week for sure.

• Like 1

Hey......Guess what???   It's GAMEDAY in Argyle Texas today and everybody is fired up!!  The boyz have 10 games under their belts now, and for the most part they have matured into young men this season......even the sophs.  But those seniors.......boy do they have their heads screwed on straight now and know some things that they just did not realize even 5 weeks ago......and especially when this season started.  There comes a time in Argyle football that the realization of what is really hits you in the mouth........and because of last season's coaster ride it may have taken a little longer to develop this season for some of those players.  But I'm quite certain that this season's team is now ALL IN and everybody is finally on the same page.  The seniors.....and some juniors as well.....have stepped it up in recent weeks to lead the way for their teammates.  To be an example of what it means to play this game at this level......and for Argyle.  So that's where this team stands now.......it took them a little longer than some teams in the past for that total commitment.......but they finally found it in themselves.  Here we go, folks!!

Some teams find it earlier in the season, and some teams NEVER find it in themselves as a team.......that total resolve to play every game ALL OUT to the very best of your abilities.  Sometimes some of the players have it, but others don't.......so it hurts the whole team and keeps the team from performing up to the level it could have and should have.  Stephenville had that resolve early this season......you can see it and it shows.  Argyle did not.......but now they have found it as a team.  Celina got it most probably last season.....or in the spring, and only lost to Argyle because of other factors.  Carthage gets it sooner or later every season......and then the cream rises within the team.  Gilmer has it this season for sure.  You can just see it.  Melissa can't contain it.......it's overflowing so much since those 2 losses out the gate to start this season.  Paris has it too.  And it looks like La Vega finally found themselves several weeks ago.  So look out.......the battles will be fierce in the playoffs this  season.......maybe because of what happened to our game in 2020 w/ Covid rules.  Full steam ahead.

2 hours ago, Footballalltheway said:

My gut tells me the winner of the SV/Argyle game wins this region.  MH could play spoiler, LV seems to be peaking and Melissa seems a little out of sorts since the game they beat Argyle before Argyle figured out what they were offensively.  Whoever wins this region will be in the state finals almost assuredly.   

Melissa is anything but "out of sorts" now that Fennegan is back.  They rested him almost 3 weeks for that "injury" because they could afford to with the team they have and their schedule.  He played just enough last week to keep his body and mind warmed up, but last night he looked great.  With Fennegan at QB, Melissa is a whole different animal on both sides of the ball.......that's just how much of a leader he is for Melissa this season.  His arm strength and accuracy, his decision-making, his senior leadership......it cannot be replaced.  He's very very good for sure.  I'm very impressed with Sam Fennegan.  He can be disrupted, but not completely stopped.  As long as Fennegan is healthy and playing, Melissa will be one tough out to beat this season.  Luckily, Argyle has come around on offense as well.......and they are just the team that could stop him and Melissa even if he does play his best that night.  But just getting another chance to play Melissa would be a blessing for Argyle.......because that would mean Argyle made it to the regional final.