2021 4A Division I playoffs

Texski

My prediction is that Melissa will make it to the regional final in that lower part of the bracket as long as Fennegan stays healthy and plays.  That means winning against  Heritage next week and winning in Round 3 against the La Vega/Kaufman winner next week.   IMO........the winner of Round 3 in the upper part of the bracket(Argyle vs Stephenville???) should be able to give Melissa all they can handle.  That regional final game in Region 2 this season will be a warm-up for the SC Title game in Division 1 for sure.  I don't think there is a team in Region 1 that can compete with the Region 2 Champion.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:07 PM, regaleagle said:

Melissa is anything but "out of sorts" now that Fennegan is back.  They rested him almost 3 weeks for that "injury" because they could afford to with the team they have and their schedule.  He played just enough last week to keep his body and mind warmed up, but last night he looked great.  With Fennegan at QB, Melissa is a whole different animal on both sides of the ball.......that's just how much of a leader he is for Melissa this season.  His arm strength and accuracy, his decision-making, his senior leadership......it cannot be replaced.  He's very very good for sure.  I'm very impressed with Sam Fennegan.  He can be disrupted, but not completely stopped.  As long as Fennegan is healthy and playing, Melissa will be one tough out to beat this season.  Luckily, Argyle has come around on offense as well.......and they are just the team that could stop him and Melissa even if he does play his best that night.  But just getting another chance to play Melissa would be a blessing for Argyle.......because that would mean Argyle made it to the regional final.

Edited by CrankyOldMan

I did see Fennegan throw a couple of really accurate footballs......one long one that was on the money but not caught.  Just him being back there calling the plays and handing off........that's what Melissa did the most last night........they really did not need to pass much.  The backs, the line, and the receivers all work better together when he's behind center controlling the action.  I think he threw 2 TD passes to Gunnar Wilson and 2 TD passes to Jayvon Smith also.......so what did you not see that I saw, Huh?  Those are just the ones off the top of my head without doing any checking.   I mean the score was 73-20.......4 TD passes only accounts for 24 pts.  They ran a bunch of TD's also, and then some backups scored TD's without Fennegan in there.  And then a couple of defensive scores I believe.......I remember at least one.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:53 PM, regaleagle said:

I did see Fennegan throw a couple of really accurate footballs......one long one that was on the money but not caught.  Just him being back there calling the plays and handing off........that's what Melissa did the most last night........they really did not need to pass much.  The backs, the line, and the receivers all work better together when he's behind center controlling the action.  I think he threw 2 TD passes to Gunnar Wilson and 2 TD passes to Jayvon Smith also.......so what did you not see that I saw, Huh?  Those are just the ones off the top of my head without doing any checking.   I mean the score was 73-20.......4 TD passes only accounts for 24 pts.  They ran a bunch of TD's also, and then some backups scored TD's without Fennegan in there.  And then a couple of defensive scores I believe.......I remember at least one.

Edited by CrankyOldMan

Wilmer Hutchins kicks off and it goes out of bounds.  Argyle elects to make them kick it again, then Jaamael Felton takes it 81 yds for TD kickoff return to start this game.  It was really a very good return....WH is not without some speed. It's Felton's 2nd KO return of the season for a TD.

2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Now Jaamael Felton intercepts the pass and runs all the way across the field to return it 65 yds for a TD.  Kick is good.

Argyle 35-0   This play ended the 1st qtr.

It was 4th and 4......so WH opted for a long pass instead of a punt, I guess.  The QB was under duress and just lofted it out there to his deep receiver, but Felton cut in front and that's what happened.  It was a really good return, for sure.  Now Jaamael Felton has a KO return for a TD and a long interception return for a TD all in the first qtr. of this game and is responsible for 14 of those points so far.  The PAT's by the kicker are expected.

WH has a RB that looks pretty good......he's has speed, size, and the moves.  But the Argyle D is just too much for WH.  They might score a few TD's tonight, but they have alot of ground to make up now.  

Just as I was writing, Will Ramsey intercepts another deep pass at the Argyle 9 yd line.  Now Pritts makes a 30 yd reception on first down for Argyle.

QB Alex Moeller goes in and immediately throws a jumpball pass in the endzone to Drew Adams for a TD.  Adams went up and just got that ball......he was well covered.  Kick is good.

Argyle 42-0 now.   I think Argyle has scored on every possession and has 2 scores on 2 interceptions and a KO TD runback.  8  plays 91 yds  that took 1:26 off the clock.     4:22 left in the 2nd.

Final play of the half nets zero yards.

Argyle 42

Wilmer Hutchins 0

Halftime.            Lots of players for Argyle have already seen some minutes and the Argyle coaching staff is very pleased so far.  Just about a perfect half of football by the Argyle Eagles.......no mistakes and lots of TD's.   A literal nightmare for WH.

Coach/AC Elzie Barnett of Wilmer Hutchins runs a very classy program over there for many years.  He's does a great job over at WH and is finally getting that program on target in some of those Jr. high schools for DISD.......which is a very tenuous process.  There will be some quality football classes emerging under his direction.