5A D1 R2 Area: Longview vs Lancaster

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (8-3) vs Lancaster Tigers (10-1)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lancaster in a close one
    • Lancaster in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/20/2021 at 01:30 AM

longview.pnglancaster.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (8-3) VS LANCASTER TIGERS (10-1)

DATE: Friday, November 19th, 2021
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
LANCASTER BROADCAST: n/a

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 2-0-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 2-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 2-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Lancaster.
Longview has won the last two meetings with the Tigers.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at Mesquite Memorial Stadium.
The two schools have never played on November 19th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
12.18.2020 - Longview 56, Lancaster 20 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
11.21.2008 - Longview 49, Lancaster 22 - John E. Kincaide Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Rematch. Same time, same round, same place. That's what Longview and Lancaster assured would happen in the 2021 Class 5A Division II Region II Area round after their bi-district victories in round one. The Lobos, 7-3 and in 2nd place in district 7-5A Division I, won their 8th consecutive home game and their 6th consecutive bi-district game at Lobo Stadium with a 45-24 victory over Magnolia. In the first meeting between the two schools, it looked like it was going to be a complete route for the Lobos after Longview jumped out to a 28-7 lead early in the 2nd quarter. However, that all changed in a 4 minute span that saw the Bulldogs score 17 points heading into halftime. Despite Longview leading 28-24 at the break in a half that they dominated, the Lobos needed an 8 minute drive to start the 3rd quarter to really set the tone and walk away with a three score victory over the Bulldogs. Willie Nelson led the ways for Longview, as the sophomore recorded 3 interceptions on the night, one for a score on the second play of the game. Joshua Thomas and Jalen Hale led the way on offense with 5 touchdowns score between the two. Lancaster, district 6 winners for the second straight season, had a much tougher task after trailing 15-6 at halftime in their match up against the Frisco Reedy Lions. A dominating 3rd quarter that saw the Tigers score 21 points helped Lancaster to another bi-district victor, rolling 35-15 in the second half. The Tigers are riding a 10-game winning streak, following their season opening defeat to Port Arthur Memorial, 27-7. For Longview, no doubt they'll be feeling their ride to get to the 2nd round was a much tougher task than what Lancaster has faced. The Lobos faced off against #1 Denton Ryan to open the season, #3 Highland Park in district play and #1 Bryant out of Arkansas to finish non-district play. Out of all four non-district opponents for the Lobos, all four are still playing football at this point of the season, including Highland Park from district play. Every single team on Lancaster's schedule has had their season end outside of the Tigers themselves. For the Lobos, last week's Bi-District victory was the 16th win in the last 18 seasons under John King in round 1. The only years Longview has failed to make the 2nd round since John King took over has been 2005 and 2016. Both losses came by 1 point on missed field goals to end the contest. As stated earlier, this is a rematch from last season's Area round that saw the Lobos walk away with a 56-20 win over then #3 Lancaster. In that meeting, the Lobos jumped out to a 35-7 halftime lead as they held the Tigers to just 5 first downs on the night. The score itself doesn't show just how dominate the Lobos were overall. This will be the 3rd meeting overall, with the first match up between the two coming back in the 2008 4A Area round. Longview rolled to a 49-22 victory in that contest, on their way to a Class 4A Division I State Finalist season.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II BI-DISTRICT RESULTS:
Denton Ryan 49, Dallas W.T. White 14
Magnolia West 56, Tyler 14
Lancaster 35, Frisco Reedy 15
Longview 45, Magnolia 24
Frisco Wakeland 38, Dallas Woodrow Wilson 7
Highland Park 45, New Caney 13
Frisco Lone Star 74, Dallas Bryan Adams 6
College Station 49, McKinney North 10

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II BI-DISTRICT GAMES:
11/20 - W5 Denton Ryan (10-1) vs R8 Magnolia West (10-1) - Waco ISD Stadium (Waco)
11/19 - W6 Lancaster (10-1) vs R7 Longview (8-3) - Mesquite Memorial Stadium (Dallas)
11/19 - T5 Frisco Wakeland (8-2) vs W7 Highland Park (10-1) - Eagle Stadium (Allen)
11/19 - R5 Frisco Lone Star (9-2) vs W8 College Station (11-0) - Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium (Tyler)

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game will take on the winner of Denton Ryan vs Magnolia West in the Class 5A Division I Region II Regional Semi-Finals match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 8-3 (4-2)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (196-43 in 18 seasons) (Playoffs: 44-16)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 755-354-52 (Playoffs: 73-43-1)
Playoff Appearances: 47
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Denton Ryan (in Frisco) - Loss 40-7
09.03 - vs Marshall - Win 14-0
09.10 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 46-20
09.17 - vs Bryant, AR - Win 24-21
09.23 - at West Mesquite - Win 56-28
10.01 - vs Wylie East - Win 56-0
10.08 - at Highland Park - Loss 21-16
10.15 - vs Sherman - Win 56-14
10.28 - at McKinney North - Loss 37-35
11.05 - vs Tyler - Win 49-0
11.12 - Bi-District: Magnolia - Win 45-24
11.19 - Area: Lancaster

LANCASTER TIGERS
Record: 10-1 (8-0)
District: 6-5A Division I
Coach: Leon Paul (10-1 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 1-0)
First Year of Football: 1919
All-Time Record: 517-436-30 (Playoffs: 25-24-0)
Playoff Appearances: 27
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, 5A Division I Area Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (1): 2012 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.27 - Port Arthur Memorial (in Prairie View) - Loss 27-7
09.03 - at Dallas Skyline - Win 16-0
09.10 - vs Dallas Samuell - Win 62-0
09.17 - at Carrollton Newman Smith - Win 56-7
09.24 - vs Dallas Bryan Adams - Win 42-0
10.08 - at Dallas Molina - Win 41-17
10.15 - vs Carrollton R.L. Turner - Win 56-0
10.22 - at Dallas Woodrow Wilson - Win 49-20
10.29 - vs Dallas Sunset - Win 63-0
11.04 - at Dallas W.T. White - Win 28-6
11.12 - Bi-District: Frisco Reedy - Win 35-15
11.19 - Area: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 19th
In 1926, Longview defeated Winnsboro, 18-0, at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1932, Longview and Palestine battled to a 6-6 tie at Fair Park in Longview.
In 1937, Ray Cantrell hauled in a 9 yard pass before two defensive scores by the Lobos in the second half helped Longview to a 19-6 victory over Marshall at Maverick Stadium.
In 1943, John Dunaway tallied the only Lobo score as Longview was held to 36 total yards in a 13-6 loss to Marshall at Maverick Stadium. 7 Lobo turnovers derailed Longview on the night.
In 1954, Derry Swanger and James Wedding scores twice, and Billy Erie hauled in a score in-between as Texas High rolled over Longview, 34-0, at Grim Park.
In 1965, Cecil Newton tallied twice and James Street rushed in from 76 yards out as Longview knocked off Lufkin, 21-6, at Abe Martin Stadium. The Panthers managed just 10 yards rushing on the night.
In 1976, Randy Wessinger rushed in from 3 yards out following a blocked punt to put Sherman ahead for good as the Bearcats knocked off Longview at Texas Stadium, 10-3.
In 1983, five different Bearkats tallied scores Klein in a 35-0 victory over Longview at Floyd Casey Stadium. Klein rushed for 389 yards on the night, holding Longview to 182 total yards.
In 2011, Deontre Wilson scored three times in a 59-35 victory over Garland Sachse at Kincaide Stadium. The two teams combined for 986 yards on the night as Longview’s rushing attack highlighted the day to the tune of 388 yards. Sachse threw 51 times on the night.

lobohowl2.GIF
  • Like 2

As long as Thomas starts, I think we have a good chance to dominate tbh.

Hopefully we can get Fairchild and Tatum back healthy. You could see later in the game why Tatum wasn't playing. We just can't escape the injury bug this year.

Regardless, we dominated last night outside of a 4 minute stretch where they got 17 of their 24 points. No doubt it changed the game, but finally this team stepped up to the occasion and took control. That 7:40 drive to start the 3rd was glorious.

Josh continues to show why he should be the starter and Jalen is gonna Jalen.

Our young defense, overall, is going to make mistakes. But they've rebounded extremely well constantly all year, minus the North game. Just gotta keep doing Lobo football, and keep those turnovers and penalties down.

No doubt we're good for at least one personal foul penalty a game though.

• Like 3

Man looking at the region match ups looks to be some good damn games! Hell would it be crazy to say the state champ is coming outta this bracket?? I think Lobos have a punchers chance but they have to be able to run the ball and protect the play-action. 

And also again...shout out and respect to mcnorth for softening up college station for their next opponent. 49-0 really showed this region the blueprint for beating CS...😐

• LOL! 7

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man Longview with a running QB is gonna be hard to stop because u can’t double the WR like you want to and there is nobody in tx that can cover hale 1 on 1

Even more reason why I don’t understand how we haven’t utilized Wright more. Dude is a beast himself.

But you’re right. Thomas is what we’ve been screaming for all year. Now just gotta get Tatum healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gtee2 said:

Man looking at the region match ups looks to be some good damn games! Hell would it be crazy to say the state champ is coming outta this bracket?? I think Lobos have a punchers chance but they have to be able to run the ball and protect the play-action. 

And also again...shout out and respect to mcnorth for softening up college station for their next opponent. 49-0 really showed this region the blueprint for beating CS...😐

Can’t find bingosmith he went into hiding, I guess he thought the Longview win would make his team go to state 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Even more reason why I don’t understand how we haven’t utilized Wright more. Dude is a beast himself.

But you’re right. Thomas is what we’ve been screaming for all year. Now just gotta get Tatum healthy. 

That's what's crazy....people think it's just Hale but Longview has more than one D1 caliber WR.

• Like 3

Lancaster had turned the corner under Chris Gilbert and weren't the same old under-achieving Lancaster they became known for...I mean they made a state title game and several other deep runs under Coach Gilbert....I think they were hurt more by realignment than anyone last year...their district is atrocious and doesn't prepare them at all for playoff football....