5A Div II Region III AREA: Marshall (8-3) Vs. Crosby (9-2) SATURDAY 2PM @ LUFKIN- Abe Martin Stadium

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Crosby  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Crosby in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Crosby in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

All this chest thumping by Cougar fans.  They got 9 wins in a pretty mediocre schedule.  They lost to the best two teams you played this season with Carthage and Manvel  They beat Santa Fe who was (0-10), Dayton who was (2-8), and Kingwood Park who was (4-6).  They beat a Barber's Hill team that went (5-5) in the regular season and beat a rebuilding FB Marshall team.  Nothing spectacular about beating PNG or Nederland, who were both (6-4) and had several blowout losses each.  PA Memorial was (8-2) from one of the worst 5A districts in the state and they got beat in the first round against a bad FB school.  Madison (6-4) is an inner-city school that's as bad as every inner city school in the state.  Texas City (10-1) is the only quality win they have.  I don't think Marshall's schedule was any good either, but they never got blown out in any of their games either.  Defense might be good enough to keep them in this game even if the offense is vanilla.  Playing keep away is something they have a history of doing well.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 1:21 PM, cougar14 said:

Yeah, and if Myles didn’t start cramping in the second quarter and limping the whole second half the game wouldn’t have been close IMO either. Half your team wasn’t out, you were missing I believe four total starters. Someone one the other site went and compared you starters in the Center game to what y’all started against Crosby. You don’t have 11 D1 kids like Manvel so whatever starters you were missing aren’t some huge impact like it would be for them. If it was your offense would look better this year. 

That’s why I hated dropping down to even play that game. It was a lose/lose situation. We would’ve gotten nothing from a win but now that Carthage ran back a kickoff with 80 seconds left in the game they’re some authority on us, lol? The absolute last thing anybody judging Crosby should put any emphasis on is a game three months ago where we were breaking in 16 new starters. COMPLETELY different team you’re lining up against vs the one we fielded in August. 

You’re a clown.

No one controls the district they end up in (except Highland Park).   You win as many of the games in front of you as you can. 

We didn’t have a strong district schedule. But we won 6 of 7. 

We had one of the tougher non-district schedules for a 5A Div II school.  We went 1-2. We played close in both losses thanks to our defense.  

Never allowed more than 27 points in a game all season. 

I’m not a trash talker. I’ll let the guys do the talking Saturday.  We’ve been underestimated in the past….

Nederland 2018, South Oak Cliff 2015. Everyone thought Huntsville was going to blow us out in 2018….lost by 1. 

We might lose Saturday. It may be a blowout. But I’m not expecting it. I’ll congratulate Crosby and continue living life.  Very proud of this team. Picked fifth by the local media. Hell…our own newspaper guy picked against  us most of the season 🙄🙄🙄

I just hope the same courtesy is returned if we get the upset.  We’ve done it before. 

Never allowed more than 27 points in a game all season. 

Well it's always a 1st time for everything. Crosby will have 27 before halftime. Coaches prepare for the formations and playmakers but how can they prep for speed💨? Crosby has speed all over the field and the Mavs defense will get burned if they are out of position. 

2 hours ago, Cougar239 said:

Never allowed more than 27 points in a game all season. 

Well it's always a 1st time for everything. Crosby will have 27 before halftime.

Crosby has been beaten this season. 3rd time for everything.

They aren’t unbeatable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Footballobserver said:

All this chest thumping by Cougar fans.  They got 9 wins in a pretty mediocre schedule.  They lost to the best two teams you played this season with Carthage and Manvel  They beat Santa Fe who was (0-10), Dayton who was (2-8), and Kingwood Park who was (4-6).  They beat a Barber's Hill team that went (5-5) in the regular season and beat a rebuilding FB Marshall team.  Nothing spectacular about beating PNG or Nederland, who were both (6-4) and had several blowout losses each.  PA Memorial was (8-2) from one of the worst 5A districts in the state and they got beat in the first round against a bad FB school.  Madison (6-4) is an inner-city school that's as bad as every inner city school in the state.  Texas City (10-1) is the only quality win they have.  I don't think Marshall's schedule was any good either, but they never got blown out in any of their games either.  Defense might be good enough to keep them in this game even if the offense is vanilla.  Playing keep away is something they have a history of doing well.

Um a bad FB school? Might wanna check that, that same FB school beat Manvel this season at their place and was favored by some to actually beat us again this year in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Lions70 said:

They almost beat Carthage do you realize how difficult this is? Your from Jacksonville you should know.

Carthage had 17 starters out and one of the Players was forced to play without a helmet. I swear the carthage story gets more elaborate every time I hear it. Started out as 4 offensive lineman to now 7 starters. 
Unless those kids never recovered from covid  it looks like they only replaced one interior lineman and the RB on offense. I used the Center game highlights as reference.

2 hours ago, Lions70 said:

They almost beat Carthage do you realize how difficult this is? Your from Jacksonville you should know.

Carthage was missing starters due to covid, wouldn't have been close if Carthage was at full strength

I know Crosby fans come across as arrogant but please remember were the same fan base that raised $5k for Liberty Hill’s coaches foundation. We also produced the kids that instead of celebrating their victory went out and consoled the players from Huntsville and Liberty Hill. 

882ABB0C-BD95-471D-9C94-F08F3C93C1C2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MrFleet23 said:

Carthage had 17 starters out and one of the Players was forced to play without a helmet. I swear the carthage story gets more elaborate every time I hear it. Started out as 4 offensive lineman to now 7 starters. 
Unless those kids never recovered from covid  it looks like they only replaced one interior lineman and the RB on offense. I used the Center game highlights as reference.

You also have to take into account you are reading things from multiple different people, some of which are more in the loop and follow more closely than others.  It's kind of like the old game of telephone (I wont explain it here, I'm sure most will understand the reference).  Carthage was missing multiple intended season opening starters at a few different positions.  That is not to say those people remained the starters and/or weren't out/missing for the Center game or any other game.  

Every team has games where they are missing their intended starters.  It happens.  

• Like 1

Just now, Lions70 said:

I am rooting for Marshall but Crosby comes across as the better team.

I have not gotten to see or study up on Marshall much this year, but I've tried to follow Crosby as I do with any team my team plays during a given year.  I still think they are really good and as much as I want to see all the teams in my area succeed when not playing against mine, I think Crosby wins this one.  

• Like 1