5A Div II Region III AREA: Marshall (8-3) Vs. Crosby (9-2) SATURDAY 2PM @ LUFKIN- Abe Martin Stadium

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Crosby  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Crosby in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Crosby in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

First time poster - enjoying this thread so let’s get back to talking some football on this one. Full disclosure - I’ve only seen Marshall on film and I’ve seen Crosby once in person and a few games on Texan Live. I don’t really have a dog in the hunt. Marshall is pretty salty on defense and has seen teams with speed. The Mavericks played tight with a really talented Longview squad that would be a slight favorite over Crosby. They tackle well, gap containment is solid, and their sideline to sideline speed is good. The defense is well-coached and plays assignment football. Marshall’s offense, on the other hand, is pedestrian at best highlighted by a couple of good receivers who have game breaking ability. O-line play is iffy and the running game disappears in long chunks. Lots of three and outs. Crosby is going to be a big step up in defense from Rudder but similar to the Lobos in athleticism. Crosby will probably tee off on D and they’ve got a physical and active front 4. #40 is a nightmare. They’ve got two kids who play both ways - #14 and #4. #14 is a ball hawk and has legit track speed and #4 never comes off the field. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is how young the Cougars are. The QB, three starting receivers, and two starting o-linemen are juniors and the right tackle is listed as a sophomore. Only 4 seniors on offense. The QB Myles has something like 28 TDs and only two INTS and is really dangerous running the ball. The Cougars are also young on defense with a couple of juniors and a couple of sophomores playing a lot. Crosby was beat deep a lot against Barbers Hill so I feel like Marshall is going to have to take some shots down the field. Both teams actually have great kickers so that could come into play. Best guess here is Marshall could keep it close, but only if their offense finds some success - and I really don’t see that happening. Crosby is really tough up front and I see third and longs spelling bad times for Marshall’s QB. Crosby 34  Marshall 14.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Lions70 said:

They almost beat Carthage do you realize how difficult this is? Your from Jacksonville you should know.

The people outside of Carthage have a bigger God complex related to that program than the people in that town… that’s why you lose 

8 hours ago, BubbleScreen said:

First time poster - enjoying this thread so let’s get back to talking some football on this one. Full disclosure - I’ve only seen Marshall on film and I’ve seen Crosby once in person and a few games on Texan Live. I don’t really have a dog in the hunt. Marshall is pretty salty on defense and has seen teams with speed. The Mavericks played tight with a really talented Longview squad that would be a slight favorite over Crosby. They tackle well, gap containment is solid, and their sideline to sideline speed is good. The defense is well-coached and plays assignment football. Marshall’s offense, on the other hand, is pedestrian at best highlighted by a couple of good receivers who have game breaking ability. O-line play is iffy and the running game disappears in long chunks. Lots of three and outs. Crosby is going to be a big step up in defense from Rudder but similar to the Lobos in athleticism. Crosby will probably tee off on D and they’ve got a physical and active front 4. #40 is a nightmare. They’ve got two kids who play both ways - #14 and #4. #14 is a ball hawk and has legit track speed and #4 never comes off the field. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is how young the Cougars are. The QB, three starting receivers, and two starting o-linemen are juniors and the right tackle is listed as a sophomore. Only 4 seniors on offense. The QB Myles has something like 28 TDs and only two INTS and is really dangerous running the ball. The Cougars are also young on defense with a couple of juniors and a couple of sophomores playing a lot. Crosby was beat deep a lot against Barbers Hill so I feel like Marshall is going to have to take some shots down the field. Both teams actually have great kickers so that could come into play. Best guess here is Marshall could keep it close, but only if their offense finds some success - and I really don’t see that happening. Crosby is really tough up front and I see third and longs spelling bad times for Marshall’s QB. Crosby 34  Marshall 14.

Good post, but some spacing would make this a much easier read.  

8 hours ago, BubbleScreen said:

The Mavericks played tight with a really talented Longview squad that would be a slight favorite over Crosby.

Marshall had zero to no offense in that game. Our defense absolutely dominated. Marshall's defense no doubt played well, but we were also struggling with our QB issues that have plagued us all season long (not to mention it was the 2nd game for a team that is predominantly sophomores). No doubt that Marshall was struggling with their own QB issues during that game as well.

I don't think Longview/Crosby would be close at all, however, not that it matters.

Best of luck Mavs.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2021 at 10:57 PM, BubbleScreen said:

Couldn't have said it better this is my assessment exactly.  If you don't have sloid O-Line play that front 7 will give your QB happy feet. Too many 3 and outs and Crosby will run away with you on the scoreboard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slimbodine said:

Pulling for the Mavs but afraid Crosby has too much firepower.  But you never know.

Exactly, you never know. Anything can happen and I've seen teams supposed to dominate lose and those that were supposed to be dominated win.

The key thing for Marshall is to not have a slow start on offense early. That to me has been our downfall all year. Too many first and second possessions going 3 and out and keeping our defense on the field too long.

This Marshall team has shown heart though. 2 times they were down 21-7 in the second half and never stopped chipping away and it paid off with 2 victories, one of which last week against Rudder.

Crosby is a very talented team. I've watched several videos of them (not just the Carthage/Manvel losses) and they do have a lot of speed on defense. They have a quarterback that can make not only accurate throws, but accurate throws on the run outside of the pocket and is also a threat to tuck it and run it.

On film, the defense doesn't look to have a lot of size (would be a lot easier to tell in person) but they have a lot of athleticism and speed and that could spell trouble for our offense if we can't give our QB at least 3 seconds to throw the ball.

Bottom line is I hope for a good game by both teams. I hope for no injuries and I also hope for safe travel to and from Lufkin for both Crosby and Marshall fans. Best of luck

• Like 2

This season has been fun!!!

We’ve exceeded expectations of a very young offense.

Make no mistake about it…. We want to win.  We play to win.

But no matter what happens today I’m very proud of this team.  Another building block to 2022! 

With that said….. BEAT THE COUGARS!!!!