District 8-3A DI Area Round Preview (Malakoff vs Pottsboro)

BudKilmersProtege

Guest Tiger03lb
1 hour ago, PeepawTatum said:

by forty two? Nah. you dreamin. Potts better than last season. Malakoff not better then last season.

No way Potts is better than last season. They still had their stud qb and a handful of receivers. Potts had one good year with their defense but that's about it. I will agree with you that we are not better than last season but look at the talent we had last year. Our defense is still really good this year and Duce is having a good year at running. He's actually a couple hundred yards behind McGill for rushing. We are flying under the radar right now. 

17 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

No way Potts is better than last season. They still had their stud qb and a handful of receivers. Potts had one good year with their defense but that's about it. I will agree with you that we are not better than last season but look at the talent we had last year. Our defense is still really good this year and Duce is having a good year at running. He's actually a couple hundred yards behind McGill for rushing. We are flying under the radar right now. 

okay, so  you also think Malakoff wins by 42 or is it more like 62?

Guest Tiger03lb
43 minutes ago, PeepawTatum said:

okay, so  you also think Malakoff wins by 42 or is it more like 62?

I say 21/30 points. If we get a lead and keep it and are playing well. We usually start scoring most of our points in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs. We may score more, I really don't know, honestly until we start playing. I never said we would win by that. Just commented on that Potts isn't as good as last year. Last year game in the area round between us last year was more so from them knocking us out in the 3rd round. Driskell doesn't forget when he gets beat.

But I will say our defense is really good and will keep us in games. I wouldn't count to much from the beginning of the year with the 3 loses, as we had a new qb and pretty much a new reciever core and we were trying to figure our offense out. 

Guest Tiger03lb
3 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

I agree with the ones saying Potts isn’t as good as last season. Solid team no doubt BUT Mallycough should win comfortably. 

That's about the nicest thing I've heard you say on here. 😆

A Blast from the past.

POTTSBORO — When Matt Poe took over as the head coach at Pottsboro, the first thing on his agenda was putting together a staff.
He didn't have to look very far to find the coaches he trusted to help him turn around the program.
"I knew what kind of people they were and what kind of coaches they were," Poe said. "We were just real fortunate. There's a lot of fortunate things that have happened the last three years."
The seven assistants each Pottsboro player can turn to all came out of local programs.
"The biggest deal with our staff is we work well together," Poe said. "Respect is a big thing. No one has any problem bringing up something new or questioning something to make us better."
Both coordinators — Randy Matthews on defense and Bart Williams on offense — were at Van Alstyne.
Secondary coach Keith Bates and defensive ends coach Steven Foster were two assistants Poe kept when he arrived at Pottsboro.
Coming from Sherman, the first-time head coach brought along defensive line coach Ryan Tate and receivers coach Mark Towery. He also plucked offensive line coach Jeff Slagle from Denison.
Poe sought out advice from his father, Ron, who knew a thing about assembling a successful staff. The stadium in McKinney is named for him.
"Being around it all my life, loyalty is No. 1," Poe said. "Are the coaches working with you going to be loyal to you and the program?"
The effort this year throughout the program has delivered historic results as Pottsboro (13-1) takes on Cisco (13-1) in a Class 2A Division II state semifinal at 6 p.m. on Saturday at Texan Stadium in Justin Northwest. The winner will face either Daingerfield or Blanco for the state championship.
"Business as usual. We're concentrating on the team at hand," Poe said. "We don't talk about it being the game before the state championship. Saturday's the most important game of the year."
The Cardinals advanced to the state semifinals for the first time in program history with a 31-9 victory over previously-undefeated Grandview. Before this season Pottsboro hadn't had any playoff success since 1987 and it was a decade before that when the Cardinals had last played in the region final.
"Our kids believe in our system," Poe said. "They could have panicked the other night when we ran three offensive plays and turned it over twice."
Cisco, whose only loss was to District 6-2A champ Clyde by 14 points, is back in the state semifinals for the second straight season and fourth time in the last six years. The Loboes lost to eventual state champion Canadian at this point last season and were the state runner-up to Mart in 2006.
"When you're playing playoff game No. 5, I think the kids have already been in that atmosphere," Poe said about his team. "I don't see it as much of an advantage, if any."
Realignment moved the Loboes into Region I starting with this season. Last year Cisco knocked Gunter out with a 21-14 victory in the Region II final.
Cisco defeated Idalou, 27-13, in the region final as Robert Medina had a touchdown run and returned an interception for a score. Medina and quarterback Josh Bridges were key parts of the Loboes' run last season as juniors and this year has been no different.
Both have run for more than 900 yards and combined for 19 touchdowns while Vegas Hastings has 800 rushing yards and nine touchdowns and Bradley Toler has scored seven times on the ground as part of an offense that is averaging more than 40 points per game. Outside of the loss to Clyde, Cisco's lowest output was last week against Idalou and the Loboes have scored at least 42 points in 10 games.
Those numbers are impressive, but Grandview had similar success — at least 48 points in 10 games — before the Cardinals held them well below their previous point total last week.
"Their strength is probably offense. They're very good at what they do," Poe said. "They're going to run right at you. There's a couple things we feel we have to stop that they do best. The quarterback is the one that makes them go."

QB for Grandview?????????? Reid Gholson might be the best QB Grandview ever had. Take a look. LOL A Tatum Coach hits him as he's going in the endzone. Can you find him? Also, After the vid, Some highlights fro Grandview/Malakoff. I just found this stuff and wanted to share. BTW, Poe is a Great coach!  

Guest Tiger03lb
On 11/17/2021 at 9:07 PM, PeepawTatum said:

Koff should win I just don think they will win by 42 and yes, Potts may not be as good as they were last year. I MIGHT be wrong on that statement

Do you believed now? Lol. Potts definitely isn't the same team as last year. Our defense dominated that game, had less than 100 yds total.

2 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

Do you believed now? Lol. Potts definitely isn't the same team as last year. Our defense dominated that game, had less than 100 yds total.

Did Potts starting QB play? It wouldnt have mattered either way. From the little I watched of the live stream. The Potts OL couldn't block a soul. They might've scored 7 lol 

32 minutes ago, PepperBrooks said:

Did Potts starting QB play? It wouldnt have mattered either way. From the little I watched of the live stream. The Potts OL couldn't block a soul. They might've scored 7 lol 

Couldn’t block anyone or tackle anyone, bad recipe for success. Malakoff is a dang good football team. 

Guest Tiger03lb
38 minutes ago, PepperBrooks said:

Yes, the first half. They had better sucess with other qb running the ball but it really didn't matter last night.